pancake hoods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pancake hoods

ok..so for whatever it's worth.. a few weeks ago someone asked about a pipeliners pancake hood..I asked why the face plate was perfectly round? I got some comical answers,but not a definitive one. Does anyone know if there is a reason for them being round as opposed to oval or rectangular?
    Miller Syncrowave 180
    Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Cutmaster 38 plasma
    Oxy/Acet torch
    DeWalt Multi-Cutter
    Fiber Metal Helmets(old school)
    Enough Snap-On to be a dealer.

"Pancakes & Syrup"

Originally posted by chrisa7164 View Post
    ok..so for whatever it's worth.. a few weeks ago someone asked about a pipeliners pancake hood..I asked why the face plate was perfectly round? I got some comical answers,but not a definitive one. Does anyone know if there is a reason for them being round as opposed to oval or rectangular?
    Again: Our faces are round I would say it provides the best protection, and simplicity of design.

You could always write to Wendy's Pancake Hoods, and ask the inventor.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

where can one find a picture of one of these contraptions?

Comment

if you google "pipe welding" there should be a picture somewhere...it looks like a dinner plate with a lens hole cut in it.. Dave, I thank you for your answer,but if that's the case then why aren't all helmets round? I tried to contact Wendy's and Sarge's and didn't get a reply.
        Miller Syncrowave 180
        Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
        Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
        Cutmaster 38 plasma
        Oxy/Acet torch
        DeWalt Multi-Cutter

Comment

Here is one like I have, don’t use it much anymore.
          Attached Files
          Caution!
          These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

thank you Sonora...that will help alot.
            Miller Syncrowave 180
            Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
            Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
            Cutmaster 38 plasma
            Oxy/Acet torch
            DeWalt Multi-Cutter

Comment

thank you Sonora...that will help alot.
              Wendys makes there hoods round, but there is another company and I think the name is sarges or something like that and they make theres oval shaped as well as round.
              Last edited by sae350; 06-16-2009, 07:52 PM.
              sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

"Pancakes are Round, Waffles are Square"

if you google "pipe welding" there should be a picture somewhere...it looks like a dinner plate with a lens hole cut in it.. Dave, I thank you for your answer,but if that's the case then why aren't all helmets round? I tried to contact Wendy's and Sarge's and didn't get a reply.
                If and when you ever find out, please let us know

In the mean time, I'm going to find out why tires are round

Dave
                Last edited by davedarragh; 06-17-2009, 07:58 AM.
                "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Three reasons that I can think of, I am not a pipeliner but being in boiler rooms and tunnels for 35 years I will say that the

1st reason is no "CORNERS" It will tend to slide off obstructions rather than getting hung up on pipe hangers and dig into the pipe covering/insulation most old stuff is soft canvas covered not the new metal clad sticky paper or banded you see in industrial plants.

2nd round or oval would give maximum coverage/protection to the head area for the square inches of the pancake material. Since the lens on the pictured one and one other one I have seen is more toward the center of the circle or oval and not higher above the center line like the standard helmet.

And a 3rd and minor reason might be it is a easier shape to hold when bent over backwards, standing on your head. Trying to get the last inch or so finished. While wearing welding gloves.

Murphy's law would state the corner with the sharpest point will be the only place you could grab it to keep it in place. While wearing gloves,for me with gloves on and handling small pieces of square/rectangle metal to shift it's position. The corners were always harder to hold on to.

And to for stall any arguments The above are my opinions only!
                  glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Thank you PT...your reasons all make sense...I'm not trying to start a big argument with anyone.I've actually only seen 1 of the hoods in use. He was a contractor from out of state.Most of the pipe welders around here use a regular hood.
                    Miller Syncrowave 180
                    Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
                    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                    Cutmaster 38 plasma
                    Oxy/Acet torch
                    DeWalt Multi-Cutter

Comment

Thank you PT...your reasons all make sense...I'm not trying to start a big argument with anyone.I've actually only seen 1 of the hoods in use. He was a contractor from out of state.Most of the pipe welders around here use a regular hood.
                      I wasn't referring to you just some other parties like to start stuff when another party can't quote chapter and verse for their answers. And then send nasty emails And I'm just tired and to old for the drama on some of the forums. I think the party in question followed me here as the same tone is in all the emails. From a number of diverse forums!
                      That what the my opinion statement was for.
                      glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

Pancake hoods

Once you try one you'll never go back to any other hood !!!! If you google Pancake Welding Hoods it will take you to both sites.Priced around $60-$80 dollars. Be sure to use the sand paper to shape the balsa to the shape of your face bone. Your analogy of my hood is quite funny!!! If you think of how you're outside welding and the sun reflects inside on your lens, you"ll know why we wear them. As far as not knowing where to strike your rod inside the bevel, get you a multi-shade (9-!2) auto darken battery operated lens and you will never strike outside again unless you cause it yourself!!! No solar powered !!! FYI, if you arc outside the bevel on a pipeline, it'a automatic cut out !!!! Inspectors give you 3 strikes and your out !!!! "Rigpay"

Comment

Pancake hood

Originally posted by allessence View Post
                          where can one find a picture of one of these contraptions?
                          Google "pancake welding hoods and Sarge's and Wendy's are right there !!!! If you don't pipeline you may not like wearing one !!! We are a special kind of breed and do not conform to conventional welding technics. "RIGPAY"

Comment

Pancake hood

Click image for larger version

Name:	RE-FAB COOLING TOWER 010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	510948Click image for larger version

Name:	RE-FAB COOLING TOWER 010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	510948

Comment

Pancake hoods are great when you have a helper to grind and brush for you and all you have to do is burn rod. When you have to do these tasks yourself switching from hood to face shield constantly is a loosing proposition. As far as why they are round
                              Miller Syncrowave 200
                              Homemade Water Cooler
                              130XP MIG
                              Spectrum 375
                              60 year old Logan Lathe
                              Select Machine and Tool Mill
                              More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Working...
                              X