I want a new air compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want a new air compressor

I checked on another site and had a couple of complaints about the compressor that I was going to buy--an Ingersoll Rand SS5L5 5 HP. single phase, single stage, 230 volt, 60 Gal vertical tank--I can get one locally, for around $700--They mentioned having burnouts on what they said was a cheap Chinese motor.

What are your choices for home shop?

I don't really need 2 stage but may get one, anyway.

Some suggested other brands.
    What is your experience?
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Many years ago I bought a used Speedaire with a 2 hp motor. Several years later the motor played out and I got a new 2 hp motor from an electric motor place. I'm not clear on how electric motor ratings are derived, but this 2 hp I have is much larger and heavier than the 5 hp motors I see on a lot of compressors for sale. Anyway, I think this is a TRUE 2 hp and not something marketed in some manner to make a person think he's getting more than he is. Ok, that said, the compressor itself cratered a few years later and was replaced with a Quincy. I still have that unit. It's old but it works great.

If I were going to buy a compressor tomorrow, I'd look at the Quincy. I have not priced new ones other than the replacement one that I got which was $300 for the 2 cylinder single stage compressor alone. I'm sure that they are more expensive than the Lowes, HD, and Tractor Supply compressors. For home use they might not be worth the extra expense but I really think that they are more industrial than what the big box stores sell.

http://www.quincycompressor.com/reciprocating.html
    Jim

Comment

I had bought a used 100 gallon 8 horse compressor that was okay but kept having to replace pieces, clean the tank, weld the tank where it had rusted and on and on, so I sold it for cheap and bought this one from harbor freight (same specs as you're taking about getting). I've used this commercially in a shop and some time even in the home/garage for over 7 years now with out a single issue what so ever. It's run any and every air tool i've ever asked it to, doesn't have to play "catch up" when i use paint guns, air grinders or the plasma cutter and to this day is still so quiet that i was able to put it in my basement of this house and run a line to the garage for air (did it this way to save space) and when it kicks on you barely hear it and can still watch TV and not have to turn it up because of the compressor drowning the TV out at all!

For a HF piece i am really happy with it. The only rule i really have on compressors is a minimum of 50 gallon tank, 2 stage pump and the pump and motor have to be airless!!...I will NEVER again buy one that is "oil-less" one piece unit as they crap out and get loud and barely keep up with their ratings...this compressor is on par with some much pricier units i've seen and a friend of mine was so impressed with it when he was at my shop he bought 2 of them for his own shop (one for each side of his tool and die shop) and even he says it's way better than he expected after a few years oof HEAVY abuse that 4 people in his shop put them through daily from 8 - 5 they both run constantly and neither has broken, so i didn't just get a "lucky one" as some harbor freight pieces can be.

I highly recomend it unless you can find a better brand for the same price

here's a link...
      http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55391

EDIT: I say get nothing less than 2 stage because even with a smaller tank that empties faster they keep up WAY better than a single, and dividing the work between 2 pistons is less strain on each (win-win IMO)
      Dynasty 200DX
      Hobart Handler 135
      Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
      Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
      Hypertherm Powermax 45
      Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

I agree, avoid the oilless at all costs. It'll leave a ringing in your ear and they run hot as ****, which is bad because you end up dealing with more moisture in the end.

I searched and searched and missed out on a few good used deals on Craigslist. I ended up buying a refurbished Campbell Hausfeld from Harbor Freight for $750. Freight to my house was unbelievably cheap at around $60. $60 is cheap because it's big as **** and heavy as f***! I nearly crapped my pants as the thing nearly tipped over when I was trying to move it around the garage.

It's a 60 gallon, two-stage, single phase, 230v, 4amps, 200psi

I had to purchase 10/3 wire and my own plug, and the 3/4" NPT elbow, valve, and the lead hose. When you get to compressors this big that require 3/4" or larger fittings, good luck finding stuff for it at the store. I had to special order my 3/4" lead hose from Grainger and it cost me $31. That amount is nothing compared to the big picture, but I never imagined myself spending that much on a lead hose!

I want to add some pictures. Here are two shots of my almost-done copper tubing.

It's designed to keep moisture from getting to the filter / regulator and ultimately the tools. On both pictures, imagine left being down when mounted to the wall.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

Originally posted by Jim-TX View Post
          Many years ago I bought a used Speedaire with a 2 hp motor. Several years later the motor played out and I got a new 2 hp motor from an electric motor place. I'm not clear on how electric motor ratings are derived, but this 2 hp I have is much larger and heavier than the 5 hp motors I see on a lot of compressors for sale. Anyway, I think this is a TRUE 2 hp and not something marketed in some manner to make a person think he's getting more than he is.
          Yeah, some electric motors are unrealistically rated. The ones that advertise high HP measure peak and at 250v or something fantastically unavailable to mere mortals. Best bet is to see how many amps the motor is drawing

http://www.onlineconversion.com/motor_horsepower.htm
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

If you can see if a shop is going out of business and buy a Quincy compressor,it'll last you a lifetime.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quincy-air-compr...3A1%7C294%3A50

Comment

I purchased my Quincy, 80 gallon tank and slow speed Baldor 5hp motor, from Harbor Freight when they still offered free shipping. Very happy with the compressor.
                Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
                Miller DialArc 250
                Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
                Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
                Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
                Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
                South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
                Logan 7" shaper
                Ellis 3000 band saw
                Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
                Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
                3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
                Lots of dust bunnies
                Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

Ditto on the Quincy!
                  250NT/ 3545 MM210/ 3035 Trailblazer 302

Comment

Porter Cable

Bought my porter cable mode #7550 from lowes. Ebay wanted 1200, I got mine for 599, clearance!! Plus I got 10 percent by opening a lowes card. Mine is 240 volts, 16.9 cfm at 175 psi, and cast iron dual stage pump. Runs awesome, 80 gallon tank. Not sure if lowes has anymore or if this was a lucky find. They had two of them, me and my neighbor bought both of them!
                    Kevin
                    Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                    Ln25
                    Miller spectrum 625
                    Miller 30a spoolgun
                    Wc115a
                    Lincoln 210mp
                    F550 imt service truck

Comment

Working...
                    X