X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• griff01
    replied
    Originally posted by Maineiac View Post
    I have been away from welding school a very long time ago. And welding procedures have changed alot through the years,I am assuming.
    Welding 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch steel using MIG. Can it be as strong as stick
    welding? I know how to do both. But most of the welding that I have done while I was working was stick. And I have never had any come back because of poor welding. So as you can see, I have a large amount of faith in stick welding. If mig welding laid properly, is it as good or better than stick welding? I have just purchase a Millermatic 211 but that was mostly for thin steel and also aluminum. I have always enjoyed stick welding better, but if mig welding is as strong I will be doing alot more of it.Would love to hear from you gents or ladies. Thanks
    The short answer is yes. However, it is too easy to lay down a decent looking mig weld that is not a good weld! All too often this is found when someone is using an underpowered machine on material that is too thick.

Griff

Leave a comment:

• turbo38t
    Guest replied
    HMMMM......TOUGH QUESTION. I talked to a Lincoln rep because I wanted an "equivalent wire to replace 9018M. He told me that they didn't have a wire that met all of the specs of 9018m, especially sismick(I know spelling is horrible). Tensile strength cn be comparible as well as ductility but nothing meets all the criteria. He recommended some wire for me whoch I usedfor my articular job, but in short, I would say Sick is stronger than mig push come to pull if I needed to be the"engineer"......Dave
    Originally posted by Maineiac View Post
    I have been away from welding school a very long time ago. And welding procedures have changed alot through the years,I am assuming.
    welding? I know how to do both. But most of the welding that I have done while I was working was stick. And I have never had any come back because of poor welding. So as you can see, I have a large amount of faith in stick welding. If mig welding laid properly, is it as good or better than stick welding? I have just purchase a Millermatic 211 but that was mostly for thin steel and also aluminum. I have always enjoyed stick welding better, but if mig welding is as strong I will be doing alot more of it.Would love to hear from you gents or ladies. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Maineiac
    started a topic Looking for Experience welders opinion

Looking for Experience welders opinion

Working...
X