• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rustyp
    started a topic Tig Wire Feed

Tig Wire Feed

Hi
    Years ago a friend of mine that worked at a fab shop bought a attachment for their Tig, it was a push pull wire feed that would feed wire up to the tig torch, no more feeding in the rod, it had a button you pushed with your finger on the torch and used a foot petal, it worked really well, I think it was made by Miller does anybody have any info on this setup?

Thanks in advance..

• GTA/SPEC
    replied
    Welderrepairman - It looks like we do similar work. Here is a custom front end that I built for a customer. Its made for use on a Polysoude Pipe welding head. One of the advantages is the adjustable electrode length. Just twist the back cap...

NativeBroncoFan - Welcome to the forum. What part of the Colorado are you in?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• welderrepairman
    replied
    automatic cold feed tig

A few years back I built a cold feed tig for a guy that welded titanium tubes. here are a few picks. the controls controlled the weave, rotation, speed of wire, amperage, and gases. It can be done it is just matching what you want to your process and figuring out how to do it. good luck
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• nativebroncofan
    replied
    Newbee here, just thought that I'd pipe up and say that I have used a cold wire feed. It's ok, but the button for the wire feed can grate on your hand a bit.
    If they could have a set up that you could activate it with a foot pedal I think it would be more of a user friendly system. Two pedals at once is easier than the button. I've ran welds on a lathe with tig while feeding wire. The two pedal system takes some getting used to but once you've got it, you've got it.
    As far as a tig pen goes, I would agree that they are better to use with larger wire. The smaller wire bounces to much and can be really hard to control especially if you are in a production setting.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I am trying to get a hold of a brochure from CK worldwide to introduce my boss to the idea of the cold feed system. He might go for it , he might not.
    Later,nativebroncofan

Leave a comment:

• WCE Designs
    replied
    I just ran across this the other day. This and a rotory table is pretty close to having a cheap semi auto tig welder?? don't know what it cost or how well it works. I also remember an artical about Cannondale bicycle co. all tig welders used hand held wire feeders for there alu frames which had extra large welds so they could grind them smooth.
    wcedesigns.com

http://weldreality.com/TIP-TIG-Welding.htm

Leave a comment:

• NOBLNG
    replied
    I had never heard of a tigpen till yesterday while browsing these forums. I am in the process of welding some light gage s/s, so I decided to make one. I used about an 8" piece of copper tube and my .040 collet holder which I will never use. It actually works pretty slick with .035 welding wire.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    That Arc Zone Pro II cold tig feeder looks alot like a Miller R115 mig feeder....

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    Originally posted by Big D View Post
    I started thinking it could be possible to incorporate an existing mig welder with spot or better yet stitch capabilities as a feeder for the tig torch? I noticed the 2 tig wire feeders I saw on the market have 8' feeding liners. I thought perhaps you could buy a replacement liner and tip for the CK feeder hook it up to your existing mig wire feeder and go? Anybody ever try this? Any imput?
    Awhile back I was talking with the guys at Arc Zone and asked about this exact thing. I have a few extra Cobramatic push-pull wire feeders and I thought how it might be possible to hook up a CK pen tig gun to a Cobramatic and have cold feed tig. They said it is quite possible and wouldn't be too hard to make it happen.

I never persued it further than just an idea, but I do think it is feasible. If you have an extra feeder hanging around, it wouldn't cost much to get it going with the tig pen gun.

Leave a comment:

• Big D
    replied
    I just happened to do a search for tig wire feeder and this thread turned up. I looked at the CK tig wire feeder on their website. Quite expensive at about $2400.00. I also saw this one for about $1200 at the arc zone. http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...dex&cPath=1354 It appears that unlike the CK model you still need 2 hands.

I have the same problem another poster spoke of. My hands shake which in turn makes it difficult to tig weld. I love to tig weld but I always have to do it flat with my hands supported on something in order to get a semi decent weld. Tungsten frosting is a frequent event.

After looking at this site http://www.aichi-sangyo.co.jp/englis...LENNIUMTIG.pdf

I started thinking it could be possible to incorporate an existing mig welder with spot or better yet stitch capabilities as a feeder for the tig torch? I noticed the 2 tig wire feeders I saw on the market have 8' feeding liners. I thought perhaps you could buy a replacement liner and tip for the CK feeder hook it up to your existing mig wire feeder and go? Anybody ever try this? Any imput?

Anybody have any pics of a weld with a tig wire feeder? And to those of you who say its cheating to use a automatic wire feeder on a tig give the handicapped a break?

Leave a comment:

• Frank Motoweld
    replied
    Tig pen

Every time you roll the wheel you get a bit more than 1/2 inch of feed per stroke.Then you move your finger back and start over.If i'm not mistaking,for you,your index finger should be easier to move than the thumb.

Frank

Leave a comment:

• rustyp
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
    No need for a video,Frank

Look [ATTACH]18484[/ATTACH]

There is a small wheel on the side that you roll with your finger to feed the wire,easy!
    I have carpel tunnel in both hands and my hands are not steady, I dont want to give up my coffee for a month before making a weld either so I am looking for something to help me control the rod feed better, have you used this before, what do you think?

I played with that auto wire feed thing about 15 years ago, it was slick, you could set their and build stick men out of weld puddle, his boss bought it because they were fabricating something that took 4 hrs to tack up then weld, with the wire feed they were doing the same thing in less than an hour with the wire feed, I am looking more at control than speed, I could use two hands to steady with if not holding a filler rod.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Frank Motoweld
    replied
    Tig pen

No need for a video,Frank

Look Click image for larger version

Name:	acces009c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	504621

There is a small wheel on the side that you roll with your finger to feed the wire,easy!
    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 06-08-2009, 06:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rustyp
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
    You could,i've used mig wire to tig weld;same thing.If you want to go half way,use a larger diameter mig wire with the tig pen.It works well but you need to devise yourself a way to keep the wire from springing out of the spool,Frank

Can you explain in great detail how the tig pen works.

Pics and videos are a plus.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• urch55
    replied
    Money can't buy an arm, but an arm can count money!

Originally posted by andyman View Post
    but what to do with my left hand if i never have to feed wire?

i guess i wouldn't need it so i could just sell my left arm to buy the wire feeder =D
    Hmmmm Andy that would be like the old saying don't cut off your nose despite your face. You will find some use for it Like counting all your money that you get from your royalties. Bob

Leave a comment:

• GTA/SPEC
    replied
    kcstott:

More than likely it used a laser for the seam tracking operation and the arc gap was set with an AVC control. It doesnt work off of actual distance, but it measures the arc voltage and adjusts the gap through the change in arc voltage as compared to a preset value. Usually its between 9 volts without filler and 11 volts with.

CK does make a cheap cold wirefeeder, but the problem is that it does not have any provision for a synchronous wire drive to match your welders pulsation. Other systems do offer a low pulse lock out option for the wirefeeder, along with the AVC command.

If you intend to use a cold wire feeder manually, I would recommend a hand held wire delivery device. The torch mounted wire guides are ok for positioner work, but are more dificult to use of any other kind of work. Remember, your wire lead angle will dictate your welding direction.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X