No announcement yet.

Tig Wire Feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just happened to do a search for tig wire feeder and this thread turned up. I looked at the CK tig wire feeder on their website. Quite expensive at about $2400.00. I also saw this one for about $1200 at the arc zone. http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?ma...dex&cPath=1354 It appears that unlike the CK model you still need 2 hands.

I have the same problem another poster spoke of. My hands shake which in turn makes it difficult to tig weld. I love to tig weld but I always have to do it flat with my hands supported on something in order to get a semi decent weld. Tungsten frosting is a frequent event.

After looking at this site http://www.aichi-sangyo.co.jp/englis...LENNIUMTIG.pdf

I started thinking it could be possible to incorporate an existing mig welder with spot or better yet stitch capabilities as a feeder for the tig torch? I noticed the 2 tig wire feeders I saw on the market have 8' feeding liners. I thought perhaps you could buy a replacement liner and tip for the CK feeder hook it up to your existing mig wire feeder and go? Anybody ever try this? Any imput?

Anybody have any pics of a weld with a tig wire feeder? And to those of you who say its cheating to use a automatic wire feeder on a tig give the handicapped a break?
    Miller Dynasty 300
    Millermatic 252 / 15 A Spool Gun
    Hypertherm Powermax 85
    Passport Plus Spoolmate 100

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
      I started thinking it could be possible to incorporate an existing mig welder with spot or better yet stitch capabilities as a feeder for the tig torch? I noticed the 2 tig wire feeders I saw on the market have 8' feeding liners. I thought perhaps you could buy a replacement liner and tip for the CK feeder hook it up to your existing mig wire feeder and go? Anybody ever try this? Any imput?
      Awhile back I was talking with the guys at Arc Zone and asked about this exact thing. I have a few extra Cobramatic push-pull wire feeders and I thought how it might be possible to hook up a CK pen tig gun to a Cobramatic and have cold feed tig. They said it is quite possible and wouldn't be too hard to make it happen.

I never persued it further than just an idea, but I do think it is feasible. If you have an extra feeder hanging around, it wouldn't cost much to get it going with the tig pen gun.
      Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
      Millermatic175
      MillermaticPassport/Q300
      HTP MIG200
      PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
      ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
      DialarcHF, Radiator-1
      Hypertherm PowerMax 380
      Purox oxy/ace
      Jackson EQC
      -F350 CrewCab 4x4
      -LoadNGo utility bed
      -Bobcat 250NT
      -PassportPlus/Q300
      -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
      -Suitcase8RC/Q400
      -Suitcase12RC/Q300
      -Smith oxy/propane
      -Jackson EQC

Comment

That Arc Zone Pro II cold tig feeder looks alot like a Miller R115 mig feeder....
        Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
        Millermatic175
        MillermaticPassport/Q300
        HTP MIG200
        PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
        ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
        DialarcHF, Radiator-1
        Hypertherm PowerMax 380
        Purox oxy/ace
        Jackson EQC
        -F350 CrewCab 4x4
        -LoadNGo utility bed
        -Bobcat 250NT
        -PassportPlus/Q300
        -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
        -Suitcase8RC/Q400
        -Suitcase12RC/Q300
        -Smith oxy/propane
        -Jackson EQC

Comment

I had never heard of a tigpen till yesterday while browsing these forums. I am in the process of welding some light gage s/s, so I decided to make one. I used about an 8" piece of copper tube and my .040 collet holder which I will never use. It actually works pretty slick with .035 welding wire.
          Attached Files

Comment

I just ran across this the other day. This and a rotory table is pretty close to having a cheap semi auto tig welder?? don't know what it cost or how well it works. I also remember an artical about Cannondale bicycle co. all tig welders used hand held wire feeders for there alu frames which had extra large welds so they could grind them smooth.
            wcedesigns.com

http://weldreality.com/TIP-TIG-Welding.htm

Comment

Newbee here, just thought that I'd pipe up and say that I have used a cold wire feed. It's ok, but the button for the wire feed can grate on your hand a bit.
              If they could have a set up that you could activate it with a foot pedal I think it would be more of a user friendly system. Two pedals at once is easier than the button. I've ran welds on a lathe with tig while feeding wire. The two pedal system takes some getting used to but once you've got it, you've got it.
              As far as a tig pen goes, I would agree that they are better to use with larger wire. The smaller wire bounces to much and can be really hard to control especially if you are in a production setting.
              Just my 2 cents.
              I am trying to get a hold of a brochure from CK worldwide to introduce my boss to the idea of the cold feed system. He might go for it , he might not.
              Later,nativebroncofan

Comment

automatic cold feed tig

A few years back I built a cold feed tig for a guy that welded titanium tubes. here are a few picks. the controls controlled the weave, rotation, speed of wire, amperage, and gases. It can be done it is just matching what you want to your process and figuring out how to do it. good luck
                Attached Files
                Welderrepairman
                "A Welders Helper"

millermatic 251
                spectrum 375
                sp-32
                Lincoln squarewave 175 tig

check out my webpage: www.coastaltechnicalservices.com
                email welderrepairman@hotmail.com

Comment

Welderrepairman - It looks like we do similar work. Here is a custom front end that I built for a customer. Its made for use on a Polysoude Pipe welding head. One of the advantages is the adjustable electrode length. Just twist the back cap...

NativeBroncoFan - Welcome to the forum. What part of the Colorado are you in?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X