Question for seasoned welders on M211

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for seasoned welders on M211

Received my new M211 yesterday. Today I gave it a test run. I adjusted it to weld two 1/8 inch flat washers. That worked great. Now I got under a 40 foot RV 5th wheel trailer. Had to weld a piece of steel boxed 1x2 x1/8 to a 1X2x1/8. I could not weld it because I could not get the base metal hot enough to even create a weld puddle. Now here is where I think my problem was. I ran a 115 volt line to the RV for about 75feet than from a receptical of the RV I ran another 115 volt line 50 long to the welder. I think I was running to long a line to the welder. Please tell me that was my problem or do you folks think it is something else. I know running that long a 115 line I must have had a voltage lost to the welder. When I adjusted the welder at my RV I had a 10 foot line from the power panel. I did not have any problems at all.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Arnold

Originally posted by Maineiac View Post
    Received my new M211 yesterday. Today I gave it a test run. I adjusted it to weld two 1/8 inch flat washers. That worked great. Now I got under a 40 foot RV 5th wheel trailer. Had to weld a piece of steel boxed 1x2 x1/8 to a 1X2x1/8. I could not weld it because I could not get the base metal hot enough to even create a weld puddle. Now here is where I think my problem was. I ran a 115 volt line to the RV for about 75feet than from a receptical of the RV I ran another 115 volt line 50 long to the welder. I think I was running to long a line to the welder. Please tell me that was my problem or do you folks think it is something else. I know running that long a 115 line I must have had a voltage lost to the welder. When I adjusted the welder at my RV I had a 10 foot line from the power panel. I did not have any problems at all.
    It's nice to be important. But it's much more important to be nice.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    Arnold

Comment

way to long

cord is way to long unless it was 6 gauge!!
      Lincoln ranger 305g x2
      Ln25
      Miller spectrum 625
      Miller 30a spoolgun
      Wc115a
      Lincoln 210mp
      F550 imt service truck

Comment

What guage extension were you using?

I am seasoned but not as a welder.
        Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
        Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
        Victor SuperRange OA
        Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
        Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
        Milwaukee Hole Hawg
        Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
        Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
        Orbit Drill Press
        12 Ton Floor Press
        2002 E-350 V-10:
        1983 F-150 4.9L 6
        2004 Honda ST1300
        2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
        1997 Suzuki DR650

Comment

Yep, shorter, bigger guage cord, and/or move the RV closer to the power. If you are down in Yuma right now try to find some of the cord that they connect the mobile homes to the power pedestals with. There are usually a few lengths to be had and they are fairly heavy guage.

Comment

I bet if you felt the cord at the plug it would be warm..You had so much voltage drop, and drawing so many amps I am surprized that a breaker did not trip. Just use the Generator on the RV and see what happens....Bob

Comment

Question for seasoned welders

Mr Ligito: I was using 12 Gauge and also 10 gauge. I'm pretty sure that was my problem. To long a run. What do you think?????:
              Lincoln Idealarc 250
              Millermatic 211
              Spoolmate 100
              Arnold

Comment

Thanks Bob: that is what we are going to try tommrow. Start the generator on the trailer. Hope that works.
                Lincoln Idealarc 250
                Millermatic 211
                Spoolmate 100
                Arnold

Comment

MR. Walker: I am not in Yuma right now. I am in Maine. I will get to Yuma in Oct. I will go look for more heavy duty leads at an RV salvage yard. I know where there is one on 32nd street. I find the metal in Yuma very expensive compaired to here in Maine. Alot of our new metal comes from Canada.Where do you buy your metal? I have alot to buy. Also have alot of aluminum to buy for modification that I have to make on my carport. I am even willing to travel to Phoenix area if I can get a good deal.
                  Lincoln Idealarc 250
                  Millermatic 211
                  Spoolmate 100
                  Arnold

Comment

Just asking here because I really don't know how you are actually set-up. What is the possibility of switching up to higher volts? Then the longer runs are really not all that bad untill you go into the higher amps.
                    And on the genny as well for that matter?

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

MR. Walker: I am not in Yuma right now. I am in Maine. I will get to Yuma in Oct. I will go look for more heavy duty leads at an RV salvage yard. I know where there is one on 32nd street. I find the metal in Yuma very expensive compaired to here in Maine. Alot of our new metal comes from Canada.Where do you buy your metal? I have alot to buy. Also have alot of aluminum to buy for modification that I have to make on my carport. I am even willing to travel to Phoenix area if I can get a good deal.

Seems like with the trip you make you could score the best deal in the world and cruise in on your way. Lots of real estate between Maine and Arizona...my place included

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Mr. FusionKing: This was my first welding job with this welder. And like I often do I wasn't thinking much, just all excited about getting under that RV and do a little project for my cousin here in the yard. I am pretty sure if I go to a higher voltage and a bigger cord all will be well. I know when I first set it up welding those two washers together,I was very impress. Thanks for your reply. PS: How far are you from Branson? I cannot stop on the way to Yuma this Sept, cause I am going to visit a friend in Ft. Collins CO.But comimg back to Maine in April is a possibility,cause we are now planning on going to Branson MO. on our way back to Maine in the spring. I'd love to see your welding equipment and to say Hey! Thanks
                        Lincoln Idealarc 250
                        Millermatic 211
                        Spoolmate 100
                        Arnold

Comment

Originally posted by urch55 View Post
                          I bet if you felt the cord at the plug it would be warm..You had so much voltage drop, and drawing so many amps I am surprized that a breaker did not trip. Just use the Generator on the RV and see what happens....Bob
                          My thoughts exactly. And I'd use 230V if your gen. has a terminal for it and can handle the amps. Might require constructing an adapter cable.
                          TA Arcmaster 185 w/TIG/Stick Kit
                          MM210 w/3535 Frankengun
                          MM140 w/o AS w/SM100 & CO2
                          Hobart (Miller) 625 Plasma
                          Hobart 250ci Plasma
                          Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
                          Lincoln Patriot Autodark (freebie)
                          .45ACP Black Talons for those difficult jobs

Comment

Thanks Bob: that is what we are going to try tommrow. Start the generator on the trailer. Hope that works.
                            Just use the On board genset- did some work for a friend on his Bounder
                            Attached Files
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Chop busting time

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                              Just use the On board genset- did some work for a friend on his Bounder
                              Hey Ed what were you welding with the flashlite or the mig gun. You know you would create your own lite once you pulled the trigger. I know its getting there that you need the light, don't mind me I was busting your chops..Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X