X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring question

1) I'm a welder, not an electrician

2) I am as dumb as I sound

All my machines use an L6-30 twist lock plug, and I have several adapters starting with an L6-30 female to whatever as needed (a 110 male plug, etc).

My question:

I have a green wire, a black wire, and a white wire; the black and white wires connect to the "X" and "Y" terminals, but which color to what terminal?

To recap- I don't know what color wire goes to the "X" or "Y" terminal. White to "X", or to "Y"?

thanks

Originally posted by IA52 Glenn View Post
    1) I'm a welder, not an electrician

2) I am as dumb as I sound

All my machines use an L6-30 twist lock plug, and I have several adapters starting with an L6-30 female to whatever as needed (a 110 male plug, etc).

My question:

I have a green wire, a black wire, and a white wire; the black and white wires connect to the "X" and "Y" terminals, but which color to what terminal?

To recap- I don't know what color wire goes to the "X" or "Y" terminal. White to "X", or to "Y"?

thanks
    Glenn Hi;

I'm Not an Electrician either, But it does'nt matter which Brass screw the Black & White Wires go to, They are Both Hot !! Green is the Ground Wire it goes to the green Screw !!

Norm
    Last edited by nfinch86; 06-04-2009, 03:39 AM.
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by IA52 Glenn View Post
        Greatly appreciated, thanks.
        You are Welcome !

.............. Norm

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
          Glenn Hi;

I'm Not an Electrician either, But it does'nt matter which Brass screw the Black & White Wires go to, They are Both Hot !! Green is the Ground Wire it goes to the green Screw !!

Norm
          ACHTUNG!!! I don't know if you are using 115V or 230V BUT if you are using 115V the black and white wires are NOT both hot--black is hot, white is neutral. You risk electrical shock or equipment damage if you switch these.

If it is 230V then white and black are both hot. To avoid confusion, I color the white wire red with a sharpie to signify "hot".
          TA Arcmaster 185 w/TIG/Stick Kit
          MM210 w/3535 Frankengun
          MM140 w/o AS w/SM100 & CO2
          Hobart (Miller) 625 Plasma
          Hobart 250ci Plasma
          Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
          Lincoln Patriot Autodark (freebie)
          .45ACP Black Talons for those difficult jobs

Comment

Originally posted by mccutter View Post
            ACHTUNG!!! I don't know if you are using 115V or 230V BUT if you are using 115V the black and white wires are NOT both hot--black is hot, white is neutral. You risk electrical shock or equipment damage if you switch these.

If it is 230V then white and black are both hot. To avoid confusion, I color the white wire red with a sharpie to signify "hot".
            Correct !! 120v.-- White- Silver Screw ! Black-- Brass Screw-- Green-- Ground !!

.............. Norm

Comment

I would say he is probably 240 Volt

As per Wiki.

NEMA L6

NEMA L6 connectors are used with circuits with a maximum specified voltage of 250V. Supply connections are intended to be two-pole, three wire L-L-G circuits with nominal supply voltage of 240V or 208V depending on phase configuration.

L6-20 and L6-30 connectors are commonly found on in-rack power distribution units in countries where the mains supply voltage is greater than 120V, and in the US where equipment load is such that the system would benefit from a higher supply voltage (and thus, lower current draw). These connectors are also found where industrial equipment or large power tools are commonplace.

Linky:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector
              Steve

Bobcat 250EFI

Syncrowave 250

Millermatic 350P

Hypertherm 1250

A Bunch of tools

And a forklift to move the heavy stuff with..

Torchmate 2x2 CNC Plasma

It's Miller Time - Get Back To Work!

Comment

I'm an electrician and I'm not answering because I don't know the voltage, number of phases or even the type of equipment involved.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                  I'm an electrician and I'm not answering because I don't know the voltage, number of phases or even the type of equipment involved.
                  where's your sense of adventure? (kidding)
                  DYNASTY 200SD
                  COOLMATE 1
                  MM140AS
                  SPOOLMATE 100
                  SPECTRUM 625 X-TREME
                  SPECTRUM 125C

Comment

Originally posted by Pass-N-Gas View Post
                    I would say he is probably 240 Volt
                    As per Wiki.
                    Linky:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector
                    You gotta love wikipedia.

Glenn's reference to 110v "I have several adapters starting with an L6-30 female to whatever as needed (a 110 male plug, etc)." threw me off--X and Y are interchangeable as hot for 230V 1~.
                    TA Arcmaster 185 w/TIG/Stick Kit
                    MM210 w/3535 Frankengun
                    MM140 w/o AS w/SM100 & CO2
                    Hobart (Miller) 625 Plasma
                    Hobart 250ci Plasma
                    Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
                    Lincoln Patriot Autodark (freebie)
                    .45ACP Black Talons for those difficult jobs

Comment

thanks to all-

Glenn's reference to 110v "I have several adapters starting with an L6-30 female to whatever as needed (a 110 male plug, etc)." threw me off--X and Y are interchangeable as hot for 230V 1~.
                      this is a 110 male to an L6 female to supply 110 to a 150 S Magstar and a Thermal Arc 200 that I use (they run 220 or 110).

FWIW I've always wired the 220 male plugs G W B counter clockwise as you look at the front of the plug, with ground being at 12:00 o'clock (females clockwise).

I do 110's the same way.

Comment

Working...
                      X