Which plasma too buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which plasma too buy?

Ok guys I'm looking to buy a new plasma cutter and have 2 in mind but can't seem to decide on which one to get, so I'm asking you all for your opinion and of the 2 different ones if you have either why do you like it and how long you've had it?

My 1st choice is the new Hypertherm Powermax45,why you ask? because every weld shop I have worked in used them and never had any trouble with them other then the normal usage problems that could be fixed in a short time without any work delay.

2nd would be the Spectrom 625x-treme, why because its a Miller product and they stand behind them and I would like to have all my equipment be from Miller, so I'm haveing a hard time on which one I want.

I know both are good products and each company will stand behind them
    so maybe it comes down to the money issue? any info would help.

Thanks guys.
    Syncrowave 250/Coolmate-3-(home)
    RMS-14 (kisser button)-(home)
    Craftmans/S-K tools-(home)
    Grizzly 16" vert band saw-(home)
    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
    Craftsman 4"-7" hand grinders
    Lincoln 225 arc welder
    Lots of vise clamps(not enough)
    assortment bar clamps

Ok I posted this and without looking at Millers info specs first on the plasma cutters compairing the 2 that i'm looking at buying, now after looking at this I think I'm getting the Miller product hands down but it won't be for a couple of weeks yet so until then I'll keep useing my torch.
    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
    Lincoln 225 arc welder
    assortment bar clamps

Comment

can you drag the tip of the miller across the work surface or do you have to space it off the deck?

with my PM45, i can rest the tip of the torch on a fully painted piece of automotive sheetmetal, pull the trigger and it is cutting. Plus, Hyperthem only makes plasma torches and they are made in USA.
      5x10 Bluco Fixture Table
      Cincinnati shear 10'x1/4"
      '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
      '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
      Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy_pop View Post
        can you drag the tip of the miller across the work surface or do you have to space it off the deck?
        I know on my Miller 375 I can darg with no gap. Just had to buy the drag cup assembley. Although I haven't tried it on any painted surfaces as of yet, although I wouldn't think it would matter.
        MILLER 180 W SPOOL GUN
        MIller CP 300 w/S22-A Feeder
        Miller Syncro 200
        Miller 375 X Plasma
        Miller Elite Hood
        JD2 Bender
        Tube Notcher
        Horizontal/ Verticle Bandsaw
        Makita Angle Grinders
        Arsenal of handtools
        Evolution Raptor dry saw
        Single Stage 60 Gallon Compressor
        Delta Drill Press

"No fear to learn by doing", and a degree in Redneck Engineering

Comment

What I usually tell people is that Miller is a "welding company" and Hypertherm and Thermadyne are "cutting companies". The two leading companies when it comes to plasma sales are Thermadyne and Hypertherm.

If it was my decision I would look at either the Hypertherm PM45 or the Thermadyne Cutmaster 52. The Thermadyne brand has been our best selling brand for many many years.

What ever you do, just make sure you stick to one of the top names in equpiment as it will make your life a **** of a lot easier if you ever run into problems and when you need consumables.
          sigpic
          I work at Praxair selling welders and welding supplies!

2007 Cobalt SS S/C Victory Red
          14.929 @ 100.40 mph at 2373' (Stock)
          13.859 @ 102.37 mph (current)

Comment

I use a Spectrum 2050 personally. Never had a problem out of it. I had a powermax 1000 before I got the spectrum. It was a good machine but didn't last as long as I thought it should.

Comment

If you go to the Lincoln website and read thier specs you will think the Procut 55 is the best. Spec sheets are made up by the manufactures and are only going to say there the best. There in the business to sell thier equipment, if you have used Hypertherms every where you worked and they performed well that ought to hold some weight.
              The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Can You Cut It Oh Yea.!~!~!~!~!~!

Originally posted by jimmy_pop View Post

with my PM45, i can rest the tip of the torch on a fully painted piece of automotive sheetmetal, pull the trigger and it is cutting. Plus, Hyperthem only makes plasma torches and they are made in USA.
                I have a Spectrum 701 and you can cut though paint. I even cut though porcelain when a water tank has that coating on it. And it does not matter if I have the drag cup or extended electrode hooked up..That is a ICE 50C torch... Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bigrroberto View Post
                  What I usually tell people is that Miller is a "welding company" and Hypertherm and Thermadyne are "cutting companies". The two leading companies when it comes to plasma sales are Thermadyne and Hypertherm.

You should tell everybody on how many Miller plasma consumables, triggers, handles and such you have in stock without having to order them in, as apposed to T-dyne and Hypertherm parts. That will tell folks how abundant the other lines are.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                    You should tell everybody on how many Miller plasma consumables, triggers, handles and such you have in stock without having to order them in, as apposed to T-dyne and Hypertherm parts. That will tell folks how abundant the other lines are.
                    cruizer is right, if I have to wait for parts when my machine is down I'm not going to a happy camper because when your equipment is down that means your not makeing any money with it.

Like I said before I have used Hypertherm in all the places I've worked and never had any big issues with them and not getting parts, it was alway the sales rep who took his sweet time even when we would call them about it thats why we have a NEW sales rep who gets things done on time or has them parts on hand. I just want to keep all machines "BLUE POWERED" because I know they will stand behind the equipment.
                    DeWalt chop saw-(home)
                    Lincoln 225 arc welder
                    assortment bar clamps

Comment

Working...
                    X