MILLER DYNASTY 200DX vs. HTP 201

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MILLER DYNASTY 200DX vs. HTP 201

Anyone have any opinions on the Htp 201. I have heard good things about it but am not sure to sway from Miller. I have always owned Miller and had good luck with them. The specs on the HTP sound pretty good.
    Brian C.
    Turbobrian Fabrication LLc.
    Miller D165
    Miller 140
    Miller Digital Elite

It weighs more and is bigger. It is not multi-voltage. It is not made in the USA.
    I'm sure I could think of more but it's getting late.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I'm not too worried about the weight. I know I should be buying USA too. But I've seen some pretty good welds with this 201. I need more people to steer me away I guess.

I am just so tired of my Econotig running like crap. I'm ready to step it up!

This is from there for sale ad:

Remember, compare apples to apples. This is an inverter based AC/DC Tig welder. You can not compare this to transformer based machines like the Miller Syncrowave 200 or the Lincoln Precision Tig 225. Here’s why:

1) Power consumption – from Lincoln’s Spec Sheet, if you are welding at 90 amps and running the machine on 208 volts, the Precision Tig 225 will pull 42 amps out of the wall. If you assume a linear power consumption curve, then when you are welding at 200 amps, you would be pulling 93 amps out of the wall.

Similarly, from Miller’s spec sheet, welding at 150 amps, running on 208 volts, the Syncrowave 200 will pull 54 amps out of the wall. Again, assuming a linear power consumption curve, if you are welding at 200 amps you would be pulling 72 amps out of the wall.

The Invertig 201 is very energy efficient – welding at 200 amps, the Invertig 201 will pull only 30 amps out of the wall. If you will be using this welder in your garage, do you have an electrical service that can handle a 72 amp draw? What would it cost to rewire your garage?

2) Size and Weight – The Invertig 201 weighs 68 lbs. and is about the size of a personal computer. If you wanted to take this welder to the job site or to your friend’s house, you could put it in the back seat of your car by yourself without busting your gut. The Lincoln PT225 weighs 212 lbs, and the Miller SW200 weighs 238 lbs. Both are about the size of a small washing machine. You would need an engine hoist to get either machine in the back of a pickup truck.

3) AC Frequency Adjustment – Since the Miller and Lincoln units are transformer units, the AC frequency is fixed at 60 Hz. This means the wave alternates between positive and negative 60 times a second, the same as the electricity in the wall. The Invertig 201 allows you to ADJUST the AC frequency from 20 to 200 Hz. There are several advantages to welding aluminum at higher AC frequencies – the arc is focused more to a point, the heat is more concentrated, so you get a molten puddle faster, start welding quicker, have a smaller heat affected zone and just put less heat into the piece. Also, you can run a 2% ceriated tungsten, sharpened to a point. You get better arc starts and less arc wandering. It is just makes welding aluminum easier.

So, what should we compare the Invertig 201 to? Other inverter based machines. Miller has the Dynasty 200 DX - $3400 on E-bay from weldingsuppliesatioc . Or the Lincoln V205T – about the same money. Remember these prices include a tig torch, ground clamp, foot pedal, gas hose and flowmeter. Suggested retail price of a comparably equipped Invertig 201 $3095, but we are offering this machine at the special price of $2395.
      Brian C.
      Miller D165
      Miller 140
      Miller Digital Elite

Comment

This is the niche' that HTP has decided to go for.
        I want a MILLER because I want the best. Every spec you posted miller outdoes them and several you didn't.
        There is a reason why better equipment costs more. Who is gonna fix it?
        IMO it is worth every penny.(Dynasty 200DX) If I was stuck with that machine it would suck for sure.
        I just might make you happy tho. Just don't go head to head after that.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Yeah your right. I'm staying with Miller.
          Brian C.
          Miller D165
          Miller 140
          Miller Digital Elite

Comment

interesting how they compare it to Miller and Lincoln TRANSFORMER machines, not the actual competition. If i remember right the Dyn 200 pulls 20 amps at 200 amps output on a 220 service. The dyn weighs 45 lbs, it goes to 250 HZ all the way to 200 amps. its multi voltage, it has a 3 year MILLER warantee etc etc etc.
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Millermatic 175
            Spectrum 375
            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

^^^ Not 100% sure, but IIRC the amperage pull is 24 amps. But i KNOW it only requires a 30 amp breaker for normal operation

PLus, to point out..your thread says 200dx (assumign dynasty) vs. htp.... But in your comparisons you're only listing HTP vs. MIller's transformer machines. I'm not sayin there's anything wrong with it, but there's a reason i wait and spend what seems like "too much money" on the "better known" machines to start with and that's because i've had to re-buy too many things in the past from scrimping on the cost...

Example..last weekend i buy a new plasma cutter 1600 after taxes was my deal on the Hypertherm 45T. Well, it burned up THAT SAME NIGHT!!!!!! But i had a new one that same night, after busines hours and picked it up from the house of my sales rep!!!!!!! I've had the new one since and couldn't even begin to second guess what ispent now, because i had in all honesty been looking at a comparible unit that was almost 500 bucks cheaper, but there was no constant supply of parts for it at ANY weldin retailer in town, and the company was from overseas..there's no way I would have gotten a repalcement the way i did as fast as i did and with no questions asked besides how i wired it up, so i left it wired when i took it to him and the rep looked at it and said I was all good and gave me the new unit and took the serial number for warranty.

That's the type of service you get when you buy well known parts from suppliers that are serious about what they sell and know they can stand by it without calling someone to see whatthe policy is. I guess what i'm saying more or less boils down to "getting what you paid for"

Good luck with your purchase no matter what you choose and just make sure to read the electrical parts of the manual really good before wiring a plug on it (unless it has a plug already, but some don't) This is because my Dynasty 200dx has a Red wire on it that "electricians" said was "line voltage for 220" but the manual said tha the RED IN THIS CASE was ONLY for 3 PHASE power and was NOT TO BE USED for 220 hookup... I litterally had to argue with 2 people at different wholesale stores when i went o get a breaker and some wire for hooking it up and making extension cords. The only way i shut them up was to say "Well, MIller is doing the warranty and Miller says to not use the red wire for 220, only 3 phase"

Which is another plus on MIller's side with dynasty 200sd/dx you can plug it into ANYTHING....110 - 220 - 460/3phase and it automatically adapts (except the 3 phase which requires a wire change) So i can take it to a customers house and if i don't feel like firing up the generator and running cord, i cna just plug into the wall if i'm working at 150 amps or below
              Dynasty 200DX
              Hobart Handler 135
              Smith MB55A-510 O/A setup
              Lathe/Mill/Bandsaw
              Hypertherm Powermax 45
              Just about every other hand tool you can imagine

Comment

I think HTP's machine is ready for a major overhaul. In the inverter arena the only thing they have to go on about is price.
                There is a new Esab inverter machine I would buy before I bought that one.
                I only runs on 230v as well but it puts out 220 amps AC

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Well I am defiantly on the hunt for a 200dx. My welding supplier would shoot me if I went with anything other than Miller anyway.

Thanks for the info
                  Brian C.
                  Miller D165
                  Miller 140
                  Miller Digital Elite

Comment

Get the dynasty you'll be glad you did .
                    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                    Rockwell vertical mill
                    Beverly Shear B-3
                    Beverly Shear JR
                    Home-made English wheel
                    Milwaukee Porta-band
                    " Sawz-all
                    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                    Powcon 300st

Comment

Well, that "hunt" shouldn't be very difficult.

There are a half dozen retailers on e-bay that would be happy to ship you a Dynasty 200 DX and have it to you by next weekend.

Just be ready to "send them" about $2,800 and everything is kool.
                      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                      Hobart HH187
                      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                      More grinders than hands

Comment

Just bought a dx for 2787 shipped, minus $62 for an e coupon.... so $2725 shipped...
                        Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
                        2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
                        sigpic

Comment

$2,800 or $2,787. Kinda splitting hairs arn't we.

You're right though, several of the e-bay retailers will sell a Dynasty 200 DX for under $2,800. I ordered one Monday (supposed to be here tomorrow) and a new Digital Elite, and all total the bill came to just under $3,050.

What a lot of people, I think, don't realize is that they're better off calling the e-bay retailer direct as opposed to going thru e-bay. The retailers have to pay an upcharge for items purchased on e-bay, and sometimes they are willing to pass a little of the savings on to the customer.

Just a couple words of advice.
                          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                          Hobart HH187
                          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                          More grinders than hands

Comment

Simple equasion: DYNASTY 200DX > HTP 201,Frank
                            Millermatic 252
                            Millermatic 180
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Hobart spoolmate 3035
                            Digital Elite

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                              $2,800 or $2,787. Kinda splitting hairs arn't we.

You're right though, several of the e-bay retailers will sell a Dynasty 200 DX for under $2,800. I ordered one Monday (supposed to be here tomorrow) and a new Digital Elite, and all total the bill came to just under $3,050.

What a lot of people, I think, don't realize is that they're better off calling the e-bay retailer direct as opposed to going thru e-bay. The retailers have to pay an upcharge for items purchased on e-bay, and sometimes they are willing to pass a little of the savings on to the customer.

Just a couple words of advice.

Way to go !!! You should love it and I cannot wait for you to run it a bunch.
                              I know you have run these puppies before but when you have your own you tend to find the limitations.
                              I believe that you will be amazed just how hard this little machine can hammer out the heat.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                              Miller WC-115-A
                              Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Working...
                              X