dynasty 200dx HF start and HF AC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynasty 200dx HF start and HF AC?

is the HF start on this welder the same board tht doe the HF AC whendoing aluminium.

my hf start is pritty much non exsistance non. and when welding aluminium ysterday for the first time testing it out ect the arc would just stop then go agin kind of like when you dip in the tungsten. also i was having trouble gettng the arc to start somtimes it woul give the flash and wants to go but it just didnt have enough to make an arc. i do know about scratching t to get the oxide off but still the same. i was using 'lift tig' start. just wondaring how much a new hf board is if it is linked to the HF board. i am from australia by the way

thanks

Again, your machine is running at over 20Khz, so there is no real need for constant HF in AC. Best try any tungsten besides pure.

Comment

o yes i am running it on single phase 240v. if it hellp i had the frequency set at around 150hz and the ballance at 65%. used a 1.6mm zirconiated (white) tungsten.

Comment

Have you changed your start parameter's? The default is .094,or 2.39mm in your case. If you have a 1.6mm tungsten in the torch the machine don't know this. So, your arc will have problems. You must change the start settings any time you change tungsten size. Before you ask... turn machine off, hold the process, and main amp button while turning the machine back on. Wait for the display to read TUN .094 in volt and amp display. Then, use the encoder knob to set tungsten size. When you have size turn machine back off, this saves your start parameter's. Turn back on. It will remain on this size until you repeat above steps. This should help.
        Dynasty 200 DX runner
        Sync 350 LX
        XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
        Hobart 135
        ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Originally posted by brendan_h View Post
          o yes i am running it on single phase 240v. if it hellp i had the frequency set at around 150hz and the ballance at 65%. used a 1.6mm zirconiated (white) tungsten.
          No what I'm saying is the arc itself is at 20KHZ, what your adjusting is the waveform. So HF in all modes is start only.

When you hooked it up for 230 did you use the black and white primary wires with green to ground and tape back the red?

Comment

Dynasty 200dx HF start?

Hi Brendan,

when i first got my Dynasty,one thing i did was to set the HF start parameters.I set my start at electrode positive;it's quicker to heat the tungsten that the work and i lowered my arc start amperages on both AC and DC.A sharpened ceriated or thoriated tungsten starts much easier than pure with these machines.In AC you'll probably want to trunken the point just a tiny bit.There is a lot more electrode heat during the EP phase and doing this minimizes tungsten spitting into the weld pool,see if that helps,Frank
            Millermatic 252
            Millermatic 180
            Dynasty 200DX
            Hobart spoolmate 3035
            Digital Elite

Comment

i did what wrenchnride247 said to do and it doesnt have the tung size.

it come up with what frank is talking about. i just set the start in EP, start amps are at 40 i think. arc timer or somthing like that is set on 10

but to basicaly answer my original question. there HF board is only there to start the arc?
              Last edited by brendan_h; 05-30-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

i did what wrenchnride247 said to do and it doesnt have the tung size.

it come up with what frank is talking about. i just set the start in EP, start amps are at 40 i think. arc timer or somthing like that is set on 10

but to basicaly answer my original question. there HF board is only there to start the arc?
                Hello...... echo, echo, echo

I said this twice now. HF IS USED TO START THE ARC ONLY..

Comment

Dynasty HF NASTY?

If your machine is under warranty call a Miller service rep. the HF board is a 20 min job to change as per the local rep here.Maybe,if you're lucky,he could retrofit the newer Blue Lightning board,
                  Frank

Just out of curiosity,when you try to start the arc is the machine ticking away inside?That could indicate that metal dust accumulation sucked in by the fan,condensation or something else is shorting the HF discharge at that point.If so maybe try blowing the dust out as per your manual.
                  Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 05-31-2009, 06:18 AM.
                  Millermatic 252
                  Millermatic 180
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Hobart spoolmate 3035
                  Digital Elite

Comment

no it ot under warrenty but i wouldnt mind paying the cost. however i dont use the HF start so it isnt realy a worry for me at this stage.

i would like to know why my arc keeps dieing in AC. no machine isnt ticking away (dont used HF start), i assum you mean ticking as in the HF start?
                    Last edited by brendan_h; 05-31-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Lift arc is a crappy way to weld aluminum on this machine, it ruins your tungsten so it won't weld correctly.
                      Set your start parameter at 120 amps positive and leave it on 10 milliseconds and use the HF ad then if it doen't work you have a problem as long as you DON"T continue to touch the tungsten to the work or filler.
                      Get lanthanated tungsten and sharpen it or use ceriated and sharpen it otherwise it will still have problems.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

How old is this machine?
                        Dynasty 200 DX runner
                        Sync 350 LX
                        XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
                        Hobart 135
                        ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Dynasty HF kaput?

This afternoon i did about 60 aluminium welds.My 200DX starts easily with these parameters:EP,10 amp start amperage,10 milliseconds HF duration.I curently have A-75 Argon/Helium [email protected] 15CFM with 0.4 sec of preflow and a sharp 2% thoriated tungsten 3/32.I got very positive starts with no hesitation all afternoon.My actual welding amps ranged from 120 to 175 amps @ 65% EN and 200 HZ depending on the thickness of each joints,
                          Frank

How's your machine in DC ?
                          Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 05-31-2009, 09:38 PM.
                          Millermatic 252
                          Millermatic 180
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Hobart spoolmate 3035
                          Digital Elite

Comment

runs perfct in DC never a problem. the machine is an 04 model i got 2nd hand.

i will set my start parremets to what your setting where and give it ago when im welding next. i though you can not use thoriated tungstem on AC?

Comment

runs perfct in DC never a problem. the machine is an 04 model i got 2nd hand.

i will set my start parremets to what your setting where and give it ago when im welding next. i though you can not use thoriated tungstem on AC?
                              Mine likes everything other than pure on AC.It will run on pure,it's just a little harder to start the arc,Frank
                              Millermatic 252
                              Millermatic 180
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Hobart spoolmate 3035
                              Digital Elite

Comment

Working...
                              X