AC Tig welding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Tig welding question

My question is when we weld on AC I notice a chaulk like dust all over the tig cup, is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
    We have a SYNC 250DX, running pure tungsten 1/8", 100% Argon.

Thanks
    Sal

Is this new AL, or used? Have you wiped the cup off with anything? The only time I've had anything form on the cup is when welding material that contains zinc. (like galv.)
    Dynasty 200 DX runner
    Sync 350 LX
    XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
    Hobart 135
    ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Ive tried a couple diferent types of ALU and still get the same results. All have been grinded smooth before welding wih a small air grinder primarilly for aluminum. running 20-25 cfh of 100% argon, I tried and replaced the a new collet body, new cup, new tungsten to rule out and otherr problems. My last gues is maybe a batch of ad gas?

Comment

Chaulk like dust?

Hi Sal,
        if you use your air grinder to remove the oxydation from aluminium you need to use the right abrasives.Proper ones include 3M roloc disks and/or a stainless wire wheel(not steel,stainless).With steel wire brushes there is oil to prevent them from rusting,that oil will contaminate things and ruin your welds.Your description of the problem you're getting sounds more like you used a grinder wheel containing aluminium oxyde.Oxydation is one of the main things to avoid when welding aluminium (ie aluminium oxyde).Most sand paper and grinder wheels are aluminium oxyde based and must be avoided as they will embed aluminium oxydes in your weld material(contamination).You'll need to use wheels that are application specific to aluminium Like 3M ROLOC disks etc.The next time you weld aluminium use the 3M or a stainless brush instead and that chaulky crap will most likely be history,

Frank

For your 4 1/2" grinder there are good wheels for aluminium from Walter and Sait for other examples.
        Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 06-07-2009, 09:28 AM.
        Millermatic 252
        Millermatic 180
        Dynasty 200DX
        Hobart spoolmate 3035
        Digital Elite

Comment

Ya I get that white stuff too. Keep welding.

Comment

Have also seen that many times. Would not worry about it unless it is affecting your weld.

Comment

yep, I got some of that on my cup. Probably from stirring the puddle with the tungsten... Haven't noticed any I'll effects and I'm waiting for some gas lens parts at which point I'll replace it...
              TA Arcmaster 185 w/TIG/Stick Kit
              MM210 w/3535 Frankengun
              MM140 w/o AS w/SM100 & CO2
              Hobart (Miller) 625 Plasma
              Hobart 250ci Plasma
              Victor O/A (always ready, but bored)
              Lincoln Patriot Autodark (freebie)
              .45ACP Black Talons for those difficult jobs

Comment

Oops brain fart alert!

Originally posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
                Hi Sal,
                if you use your air grinder to remove the oxydation from aluminium you need to use the right abrasives.Proper ones include 3M roloc disks and/or a stainless wire wheel(not steel,stainless).With steel wire brushes there is oil to prevent them from rusting,that oil will contaminate things and ruin your welds.Your description of the problem you're getting sounds more like you used a grinder wheel containing aluminium oxyde.Oxydation is one of the main things to avoid when welding aluminium (ie aluminium oxyde).Most sand paper and grinder wheels are aluminium oxyde based and must be avoided as they will embed aluminium oxydes in your weld material(contamination).You'll need to use wheels that are application specific to aluminium Like 3M ROLOC disks etc.The next time you weld aluminium use the 3M or a stainless brush instead and that chaulky crap will most likely be history,

Frank

For your 4 1/2" grinder there are good wheels for aluminium from Walter and Sait for other examples.
                If you get the chaulky crap on you welds,then the above.On the cup only,and just a bit: I was not here,i've seen or said or heard nothing.I dont know if it's the hotter argon/helium gas that i use that burns it or what.But i dont get the chaulky stuf,Frank
                Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM.
                Millermatic 252
                Millermatic 180
                Dynasty 200DX
                Hobart spoolmate 3035
                Digital Elite

Comment

Working...
                X