Lincoln Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Question

I noticed a lot of us here have SA 200's, one quick question. I bought a 1990 SA 200 today and it uses about 1 qt every 100 hr. is this about normal?Machine has 1985 hr. oil looks good. And it was built in Canada.
    Miller 225 -Rip Miller 302 -Miller 135 Mig
    Lincoln 200 Mig 1990 SA 200
    Hypertherm 600 Plasma - Plasma Cam Cutting Table
    Makita Cold Saw And a John Deere 4030 for my right hand man. JL Welding tx.com

I got a '68 200, burns a quart every 12 hours of striaght 30W

Mine must not be Canadian
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Comment

Sa 200

If i may be so bold, what did a 1990 SA 200 cost you?
      What engine is powering it?

I am thinking I need something about like that for a back up machine.

Comment

It has the flathead four continental. I was kind of surprised I thought they would have changed to something that would wear out. The only thing I dont like about it is the aluminum windings, but it welds like a champ couldnt ask for smother. Well I put it this way I have welded with Bobcats and Trailblazers for the last ten years.

Comment

Geez, its just aluminum field coils, the rest is Copper. Not going to notice a difference one way or the other.

As for oil usage, Thats generally normal if you still have the deicer rubber hose installed. REMOVE IT!

Comment

Is that the hose that runs from the air cleaner to exhaust manifold?

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
              Geez, its just aluminum field coils, the rest is Copper. Not going to notice a difference one way or the other.

if you still have the deicer rubber hose installed. REMOVE IT!

Hello Mr. Cruiser!
              Have you ever heard of the SA-200s with aluminum having problems with the amperage / power dropping off? Mine just came back from the shop a couple months ago, while there they load banked it at 345-amps, said it was running perfect, (which it does) but I noticed I have to turn the remote up as the day progresses. Just wondering if this is a result of the aluminum windings, or do I have another problem?

Far as the deicer rubber hose, when my 200 was in the shop I had them install a new Zenith carburetor. I’d say about every 40 to 50 idle cycles from high to low the machine would die. I called the repair shop to inquire about this. Their response was, “What do you expect, your machine is old”!
              I read on the AWS forum to install the hose, the machine hasn’t died once since doing that.
              Last edited by Sonora Iron; 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM.
              Caution!
              These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

It is likely that engine is simply getting too hot, not the coolant, but the incomming air, uses more fuel, more oil, lacks compression. The idea is to make the incomming air as cool as possible, not as hot as possible

That " de-ice" hose from your air intake to your exhaust manifold is only for 25F and below or for a cool high humidity area where the carb has a chance of freezing.

Now if you have that hose on over 25F, every day, all your doing is baking your engine and engine oil, carboning your valves and making it leak out the rear seal profusely. At this point, the unit appears to burn oil, blue smoke and such, naturally a lack of power. soome owners take the units in for rebuild at this point, though often not nessessary

1 ounce of pure acetone in a full tank eliminates the carbon after the de-ice hose is removed. A rear engine resealing is also required.
                Last edited by cruizer; 05-28-2009, 08:56 PM.

Comment

I ran about 8 rods with it and no smoke I even let it idle for about 15 minutes then rev it up and no smoke. She checks out real good except for the de icer, dont like that. So 1 oz acytone to a full tank? Front and rear seals have a film of oil but no drip. How much work is it to replace the seals? Oh about additive I have always used BG 44K, is the acytone better?
                  Last edited by JL_Welding; 05-28-2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                    The idea is to make the incomming air as cool as possible, not as hot as possible
                    That is exactly what I have been told! I remember reading where Baja racers have ice kits. Simple as a round canister with copper tubing, (gas line) wrapped around the inside, with ice packed inside the circle of tubing. This canister is mounted on the firewall close to the carburetor.
                    I was shocked to see where weldors from Texas were using this rubber hose. Think I’ll remove mine first thing this morning, see if the old girl can run more than 40 rods with out taken a break.
                    Caution!
                    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

A qt of oil is nothing and neither is a film. A qt 100 hrs is great.

Comment

Originally posted by JL_Welding View Post
                        I ran about 8 rods with it and no smoke I even let it idle for about 15 minutes then rev it up and no smoke. She checks out real good except for the de icer, dont like that. So 1 oz acytone to a full tank? Front and rear seals have a film of oil but no drip. How much work is it to replace the seals? Oh about additive I have always used BG 44K, is the acytone better?
                        Well all the additives tend to use pure acetone and charge a bunch. Pure acetone is quite cheap. But don't use more than an ounce on a full tank.

The acetone will clean the valves, intake and upper piston rings.

The oil film is normal, might want to crank the real seal up a bit. 12 point
                        5/16" socket

Comment

So you can tighten the seal down a little? I need to get a manual, I tried to find one on the lincoln web and it came back as not avaliable. I would like to read any of them at this point. I have tried to google one and nothing. Anybody know where to find one? I dont have serial #'s yet,I have to pick up machine Monday.

Comment

Use a Classic 1 diagram, if you don't have the auto idle circuit board, then take that portion of the wiring out of the circuit. Otherwise its the same!

Comment

Working...
                            X