Cermet tipped dry cut blade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cermet tipped dry cut blade?

Has anyone here used a cermet tipped blade in a dry cut chop saw?

I've got lots of 316 stainless to cut and the carbide blades don't make more than 10-20 cuts. I'm hoping cermet might do the trick.

do they even exist??

have you tried using a coolant/lubricant??
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Cermet chop saw blades?

In my chop saws,i use both a carbide blades and Walter wheels #10-Q 143 with very good results.I find that,when using light pressure,the blades last a lot longer with less post cut clean up.There might be a "pressing too hard" on the saw type deal here.You can use cutting oil to help.Just be ready for the mess that's all.Like always,clean it off before welding and voila,Frank

PS Your carbide blades can be sharpened and repaired.The carbide tips can be replaced etc.
      Millermatic 252
      Millermatic 180
      Dynasty 200DX
      Hobart spoolmate 3035
      Digital Elite

Comment

question about blades....

Can I convert a regular power mitre box to cut steel with the correct blade? If not, which I think is going to be the answer, what saws do you guys run, and what is the basic cost? Due they make them in 220 volt? I sold my Wells saw because that **** thing took up way to much room, and I hardly used it, I have heard good things about the new chop saws, but will never go to the abrasive blades!
        Kevin
        Lincoln ranger 305g x2
        Ln25
        Miller spectrum 625
        Miller 30a spoolgun
        Wc115a
        Lincoln 210mp
        F550 imt service truck

Comment

fortyonethirty,

For cutting a fair amount of 316 SS a bandsaw is going to be your best option.

I don't know of a blade out there I'd recommend for a cold saw (Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable). I've had good luck with the Freud carbide blades on my PC but I don't use it with stainless.

SS will "eat up" a bandsaw blade much quicker than mild steel, but compared to a circular carbide blade, they're much cheaper to replace. Go with a good bi-metal blade.

Actually, for cutting SS tubing/pipe, I've found the Milwaukee Deep Cut hand held bandsaw (with 10/14 blade) to be the cat's meow for the job. Easy to handle and blades are cheap.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
            fortyonethirty,

For cutting a fair amount of 316 SS a bandsaw is going to be your best option.

I don't know of a blade out there I'd recommend for a cold saw (Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable). I've had good luck with the Freud carbide blades on my PC but I don't use it with stainless.

SS will "eat up" a bandsaw blade much quicker than mild steel, but compared to a circular carbide blade, they're much cheaper to replace. Go with a good bi-metal blade.

Actually, for cutting SS tubing/pipe, I've found the Milwaukee Deep Cut hand held bandsaw (with 10/14 blade) to be the cat's meow for the job. Easy to handle and blades are cheap.
            I too have found the Mil deep cut saw to be a good option for cutting. As said the blades are inexpensive and easy to find. I made a jig that lets me use it as a cut off saw but use it hand held much of the time. The blade speeds are slow enough to not heat harden most metals while cutting if you use care with the feed pressure. Taking the cut to the work has advantages too.
            Less swinging long sticks of pipe around getting the angle right in the chop saw.
            Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
              Can I convert a regular power mitre box to cut steel with the correct blade? If not, which I think is going to be the answer, what saws do you guys run, and what is the basic cost? Due they make them in 220 volt? I sold my Wells saw because that **** thing took up way to much room, and I hardly used it, I have heard good things about the new chop saws, but will never go to the abrasive blades!
              Kevin
              you "can", but the blades won't last long, and the cuts won't be ideal. the problem is that wood saws have a faster RPM than saws intended for metal. i have the dewalt metal saw, but would recommend the milwaukee over the dewalt.
              miller dynasty 350
              miller spectrum 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                Kevin
                Not Safely!
                Don't know how you would "convert" it. A wood saw spins much faster than the dry cut saws which operate in the 1400 RPM range. Put one of those blades in a wood saw and you're asking for a trip to the hospital.
                Miller Syncrowave 200
                Homemade Water Cooler
                130XP MIG
                Spectrum 375
                60 year old Logan Lathe
                Select Machine and Tool Mill
                More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Originally posted by fortyonethirty View Post
                  Has anyone here used a cermet tipped blade in a dry cut chop saw?

I've got lots of 316 stainless to cut and the carbide blades don't make more than 10-20 cuts. I'm hoping cermet might do the trick.
                  you didn't say what size of 316. you talking pipe, 6" square stock? are you talking tight fit up cut's? can you just order the pieces cut to length? my LSS does my cut's for free.
                  and i thought cermet blades were for wood.
                  TB 325
                  TB 302
                  dynasty 200sd
                  spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                  suitcase x-treme 12vs
                  miller 211
                  evolution rage 2

Comment

Working...
                  X