Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Largest Wire for 180 Mig ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Largest Wire for 180 Mig ?

    Hey Guys;

    I was curious, I have a Lincoln 180 Mig Welder. What is the Largest mig Wire you guys have run through your Miller 180 Mig Machines??

    I've Run.035 , but I Think maybe .045 would be better , ( ER70S6) It Seems Like too much power for .035 Wire ?? ( Not Flux-Core )

    ................. Norm
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

  • #2
    Lincoln 180 MIG

    Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Hey Guys;

    I was curious, I have a Lincoln 180 Mig Welder. What is the Largest mig Wire you guys have run through your Miller 180 Mig Machines??

    I've Run.035 , but I Think maybe .045 would be better , ( ER70S6) It Seems Like too much power for .035 Wire ?? ( Not Flux-Core )

    ................. Norm
    Norm: What's the owner's manual say? Does it have charts for .045 solid wire? Do you have a .045 liner in the gun?

    Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

    Comment


    • #3
      .45 Wire ??

      Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
      Norm: What's the owner's manual say? Does it have charts for .045 solid wire? Do you have a .045 liner in the gun?

      Dave
      Dave,

      I have Not really looked, It was just a passing thought as I was sitting here at the Computer ? So I pulled out my 180 Booklet to see.
      The Only thing I see is a Kit for .045 Innershield, .035-.045 liner , .045 Tip,
      and Knurled .035-.045 Drive Roll, & a .035-.045 inner wire guide !

      So I guess I'll have to order them separately, Liner & drive roll ?

      Thanks,........... Norm
      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • #4
        I would think .035" should be good enough for whatever you want to do. I thought I needed heavier, until I talked to some welders. I used .035" on my trailer spring mounts, which were 1/4" mounts welded to 3/16" 2" angle. I got enough heat into it to bend the angle on cool down. Plus, I've been watching a welder at work weld up 3" Sch. 40 pipe using .035 wire, with two passes. he says there is no need for heavier, and the welds look good.

        Besides, .035 is a lot easier to find.
        Diversion 165
        Lincoln SP175T
        Ryobi Drill Press
        No Name Portable band and chop saws
        '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

        Comment


        • #5
          With the Lincoln 180 Mig machines ( 180T and 180c ) I found that they worked the best with .030 wire . Yes , they will run .035 , but , I found that arc performance suffered . These machine do not have a lot of top end voltage , and the best arc ( with my machines ) was always with .030 .
          .045 sold wire ??? No way . They do not have enough power .
          Miller MM252 with Bernard Q300
          Hypertherm PM30

          Comment


          • #6
            Sometimes bigger isn't better. I too like .030 on my MM185 size machine...Bob
            Bob Wright

            Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

            Comment


            • #7
              Lincoln 180 - T !

              Originally posted by Mustang View Post
              With the Lincoln 180 Mig machines ( 180T and 180c ) I found that they worked the best with .030 wire . Yes , they will run .035 , but , I found that arc performance suffered . These machine do not have a lot of top end voltage , and the best arc ( with my machines ) was always with .030 .
              .045 sold wire ??? No way . They do not have enough power .
              Hello, Well If I crank it up to the Max., The .035 wire seems wanting ( Not Large Enough ) ! Too Much Power for .035 when it's cranked-up !!

              Mine is the 180 Tapped, when it's on "E", There's No Shortage of Power !

              ................ Norm
              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

              Comment


              • #8
                180 having too much power for .035 wire ???

                I currently use a 250amp Thermal Arc Mig machine and it does not have
                "too much" power for .035 wire . I've run this machine wide open ( 250amps )
                with .035 wire and it runs just fine . The 250amp Thermal Arc mig machines have a LOT more power than the Lincoln 180 units .

                When I had the Lincoln machines ( 180T and a 180C ) , I found that when I ran the machine at or close to it's max output ( max tap ) , the arc was poor . It was not a wire size issue , but rather that the machine simply was running out of voltage . .030 wire actually helped it some . But , the harder I pushed the machine , the worse the performance got . This was the primary reason that I ended up selling the Lincoln 180 machines and replaced them with another brand 180 machine . Problem solved . In my experience , the Lincoln 180 machines were not strong top end performers . They were great with an .030 wire with a mid range voltage setting though .
                Miller MM252 with Bernard Q300
                Hypertherm PM30

                Comment


                • #9
                  You kinda need 185 amps to run 035 satisfactory, 045 your going to need 225 amps + to run satisfactory. Now my "satisfactory" is in an industrial setting getting good material penetration, non repair and non ropey welds.

                  Don't fool yourself on a 180 amp machine as maxed out you may be able to get a suitable weld out of 035. 18-22 volts short circuit with 180+ amps determined by your wire speed setting but thats the highest diameter wire you are going to use for these units.

                  030 runs the best on most of these low amp machines. The weld might look pretty, but actual penetration may not be there.
                  Last edited by cruizer; 05-21-2009, 09:26 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Norm,

                    That 180 just "seems powerful" cause you been using that toy mig so long.

                    I run .030 in my HH187.

                    .035 in the MM251 for short arc. .045 in the MM251 for spray.

                    A 180A machine is not powerful enough for .045 solid wire.
                    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                    Hobart HH187
                    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                    More grinders than hands

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      .030- .035 Again

                      Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                      Norm,

                      That 180 just "seems powerful" cause you been using that toy mig so long.

                      I run .030 in my HH187.

                      .035 in the MM251 for short arc. .045 in the MM251 for spray.

                      A 180A machine is not powerful enough for .045 solid wire.
                      SundownIII, OK,I have to Reacquaint Myself with Mig Welding !

                      From "67" to "71" that's All I used was Mig Welders. From 1971 to 2006 All I Welded with was S.M.A.W. NO Mig at all !! Things are a Little Different Now,
                      Make That a Lot Different !!

                      I'll retry the .030 with a Good Brand of Wire !!

                      .................. Norm
                      www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Norm,

                        just a note that the .045 Kit is for .045 Fluxcore wire:

                        "Includes everything required to weld with .045" (1.1 mm) Innershield® self-shielded flux-cored wire. Includes an .035"-.045" (0.9-1.1 mm) Magnum® 100L gun liner, a .045" (1.1 mm) contact tip, a gasless nozzle, knurled drive roll, .045" (1.1 mm) inner wire guide and a 10 lb. (4.5 kg) spool of .045" (1.1 mm) Innershield® NR-212 wire."

                        Big difference than .045 Solid wire

                        Plus, don't think you can get .045 in small rolls that would fit the 180T
                        Ed Conley
                        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                        MM252
                        MM211
                        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                        TA185
                        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                        O/A set
                        SO 2020 Bender
                        You can call me Bacchus

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          .045 Solid Wire ?

                          Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                          Norm,

                          just a note that the .045 Kit is for .045 Fluxcore wire:

                          "Includes everything required to weld with .045" (1.1 mm) Innershield® self-shielded flux-cored wire. Includes an .035"-.045" (0.9-1.1 mm) Magnum® 100L gun liner, a .045" (1.1 mm) contact tip, a gasless nozzle, knurled drive roll, .045" (1.1 mm) inner wire guide and a 10 lb. (4.5 kg) spool of .045" (1.1 mm) Innershield® NR-212 wire."

                          Big difference than .045 Solid wire

                          Plus, don't think you can get .045 in small rolls that would fit the 180T

                          Ed, Thanks;
                          What do you mean by a Small Roll, Mine takes 8"- 10lb. Spools of wire?

                          Secondly, yes I read the Info. on the Flux-Cored Wire. I was just going to order the Liner & Drive Wheels Seperately If possible ?

                          Ed, Big Difference in Flux-cored & Solid Wire ? How So ?

                          .......... Norm
                          www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            10lb roll is a small roll
                            Ed Conley
                            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                            MM252
                            MM211
                            Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                            TA185
                            Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                            O/A set
                            SO 2020 Bender
                            You can call me Bacchus

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have always used .030 on my MM 185 with excellent results. I don't like the .035 on this machine and have never had a reason to go thinner.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X