Another Fantastic Feat of the American Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Fantastic Feat of the American Economy

Well, I showed up for work this morning and an hour later got sent home. Not just me, but the entire weekend shift, except for the robot runners. Funny thing is that only two weeks ago, my brother and I (we both work(ed) at the same place) were told that we have nothing to worry about as far as our jobs are concerned as we put out the most and best quality work out of all of their welders...and all of a sudden, no job..

Anyway, currently I am lookin for some work, and haven't had much luck yet. Great timing for this also, since I have already signed my contract to buy a house, and if I back out, I lose a lot of money from the down payment. I just hope that my fiaince can get hired at one of the hospitals she applied at.

Does anyone know of any work that is available in the southeast Nebraska area? At this point I don't care what field it's in-construction, concrete work, farm hand, whatever. Just need something to do.

Thought I would share my plight with all of you folks on here in hopes that someone may be able to point me in the direction of some work.

Thanks-
    Jake
    sigpic
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

"Sign of the Times"

Jake: Sorry to hear of your abrupt misfortune. Kiewitt doesn't have anything going on? They're like, "right there" in SE Nebraska.

In the meantime, GM is wining and dining their "deep pocket" clients, out at "Rawhide" in suburban Phoenix. (with stimulus money, ya think?)

Jake, hope things work out for you. Things aren't much better here in Phoenix, that's why I've been hauling groceries for the past 3 years, and doing stuff on the side to keep in practice.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Thanks dave & kiwi. There's not really a whole lot of anything goin on over here. Even in Lincoln, they aren't building houses. I tried most of those job finder sites and the closest thing that I've actually found was in like Scottsbluff or by North Platte....Stuff just sucks everywhere right now I guess...Keepin' my fingers crossed
      sigpic
      Miller Trailblazer 302
      Smith Torch Outfit
      Lots of Grinders
      O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

May be light at the end of the tunnel...

So it turns out that there's a pipeline runnin through about ten miles from my town..If nothing else, maybe I could get on for four months til it's passed through..I'll be findin out who to talk to Monday morning, and HOPEFULLY something good can come of it...Just wish I had a flatbed for my pickup instead of a trailer for the welder....
        Anyway, maybe it'll turn out for the best.

-Jake
        sigpic
        Miller Trailblazer 302
        Smith Torch Outfit
        Lots of Grinders
        O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

The light has been blown away by a shotgun blast

Fantastic....Still gonna be a b**** findin a job....almost everyone around has been losing contracs and laying off....hard to find work when there's no work to be found
          sigpic
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Smith Torch Outfit
          Lots of Grinders
          O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

There's always a way out of contracts if try hard enough. You probably already had a home inspection, but for a few hundred bucks, you could probably get another home inspector or "foundation expert" to tell you it needs helical piers installed at a price of $60,000 to $100,000 and that this was an undisclosed defect that must be fixed prior to transfer of any more money.

It will be much cheaper for them to just give you back your deposit. Of course, I know what you really want is the house you planned on buying and a good job to pay it off with. At least this route is likely to get your deposit back.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
            Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
            "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
            "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
            "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Got a contingency on financing? You'll not likely get a loan with no job, so that should give you an out without losing your deposit.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers guys, and the whole financing thing, we are already approved and the loan is in process....I dont think they can turn you down or whatever after its already been submitted to go through....and the foundation/wiring/roof/general integrity is all sound. Can hold a level to the basement walls and it touches all the way (except for the mortar lines in the block)..

Also it seems that it keeps gettin harder to get people to pay for work done on the business side of things (talking to a couple contractors in town anyway)...Then again, Im lookin at the bottom end of things....kind of in a $h!t pot right now...

Thats the first thing that needs to change.. Stuff will get better im sure, especially if the wife-to-be gets that job she's going for...

Until then, I just keep my chin up and ego down..
                sigpic
                Miller Trailblazer 302
                Smith Torch Outfit
                Lots of Grinders
                O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by reggie
                  this pipeline is only a temporary band-aid solution...make yourself rich,not someone else...

Keep in mind that those guys welding on that job will make enough to comfortably live for a year if they work 4 months.

JTMcC.
                  Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. Take the next 2 days as a mini vacation then worry about it on monday. Something will turn up, it always does

You can try Topp's mechanical in Tocumpsah, NE (not sure I spelled it right but its in S.E. NE) Use yahoo yellow pages becase I can't find there number. I have worked for them before. They hire combo pipe welders. There building a power plant in Hastings but you could probably get on at their shop if you wanted. Two of my budies are working in Colombus, NE on an eathenal plant I don't know who the contractor is but could probably find out if you want. Its alot of x-ray stainless and only 21 an hour

That pipeline that is running through your home town is probably spread 5 of the TransCann, I believe that is the name of it. You might as well forget it. Its union and there is a list a mile long of 798 welders and welders that want to join (everyone I know is trying to get on that job). You pull up with a trailer they won't give you the time of day. But we have already discussed this in that other thread.

Like I said I wouldn't worry about it till monday. Reggie, I like that ''make yourself rich, not someone else'' thems words to live by.
                    '08 F-350
                    Vantage 400
                    SA-250
                    SA-200
                    Invertec V350Pro
                    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
                    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
                    Track torch

Comment

Lot of great sound advice
                      Will keep you in my prayers.......
                      bert
                      I'm not late...
                      I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                        Well, I showed up for work this morning and an hour later got sent home. Not just me, but the entire weekend shift, except for the robot runners. Funny thing is that only two weeks ago, my brother and I (we both work(ed) at the same place) were told that we have nothing to worry about as far as our jobs are concerned as we put out the most and best quality work out of all of their welders...and all of a sudden, no job..
                        Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

The only advice I can give is
                        - whenever management says "don't worry" .... it's time to worry.
                        (if things are fine, everyone knows it and there's no need to say it :-)

- whenever I've interviewed people, big gaps of not working
                        are always a negative. saying "I was laid off, so I delivered pizza
                        while I searched for another engineering job" is much better than
                        saying "I was laid off".

Good luck

frank

Comment

Again, thanks guys. I have talked to Topps in Tecumseh and from what I gathered they aren't hiring right now. I am taking your advice and takin the weekend off and re-vamping my trailer for better load balance and to hold the other tanks I just got. It at least gives me something to do.

Like you guys said, somethin will turn up...(also, from what I was making, 21/HR would be a nice step up, believe me. Factory work sucks.)

I talked to one place here in town yesterday that I used to work at and they said they would take me back, but only thing is that it would be a long drive once I move to my house (also, quite a pay cut from where I was before)...I know Tuttle, INC. out of Friend, NE is always hiring someone, so maybe that would be an option til I can get some business of my own..

Also, the CO-OP is looking for someone to run a floater right now, that wouldn't be too bad, basically as much overtime as I would want, whenever I want. One guy I was talking to was saying that *IF* you wanted to work that much, can easily put in 80 hrs a week.

I also may have a fence job to get started on here in a while also...I think its somewhere around 15 miles of fence. That would keep me busy for a while at least.

Once again, I would like to thank all you guys for your thoughts and comments...Sometimes that's all it takes to turn things around
                          sigpic
                          Miller Trailblazer 302
                          Smith Torch Outfit
                          Lots of Grinders
                          O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

http://www.remconinc.net/

Try these guys maybe. I'm working on the same site they are right now, they seem to be a decent bunch.

Comment

Working...
                            X