• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Wolf
    replied
    I'm not typing it all again, so I quoted myself from a previous post:

When I weld 3F V-up with wire feed, here is what I do:

General info for all weld passes

I pass quickly across the center, and slow down slightly at sides to allow for fusion - I really don't "pause" on the edges per se, just decelerate before changing directions. Each time across center, I try to raise up in the joint approx 1/2 of the wire diameter.... So essentially, it looks like I am running back over my previous pass, when in fact, I am just slightly above it. Think of it as a very tight zig-zag pattern.

Pass specific information:

1st Pass: Small, tight weaves side to side. Idea is to get good penetration into the center of the joint, and still get good fusion into the parent metal at the edges of the weld deposit.

2nd Pass and/or Fill Passes: Slightly wider than 1st. These I do in a layed down "U" motion. Start higher out on the parent metal away from the joint... As I travel towards the center of the joint, I am following the parent metal (away from me) and into the joint until I reach center, then follow the parent metal back out of the joint (towards me) away from the center and to the edge of the weld. On paper, it might look more like a "V" because of the fillet weld, but the motion should be rounded off to a "U" for best results. Same rate of ascent up the joint mentioned above. When you get it down pat, you will end up with a second pass that is basically flat, and gives you a very nice surface to run your cap pass over.

3rd Pass - Cap Pass: Straight weave side to side without any in or out motion (like 2nd or Fill passes) Speed is slightly increased to minimize metal deposition as this should be done by Fill Passes.

Now, when you are done, you should have a narrow, nicely stacked pattern that is basically flat side to side with no undercut at edges, or voids in the deposit. Also, when viewed from top or bottom, weld deposit should be flat to slightly convex.

If this explanation is of any use to you, then follow the link below to the actual thread, and also the pictures I posted:

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ertical&page=2

Hope it helps.

Have a Good Night.

Leave a comment:

• tanglediver
    replied
    ToobTime!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAHPJL_crU
    Is this any help?

Leave a comment:

• vin-man welding
    replied
    what wire? what machine? what metal? what gas?
    but mostly picture picture picture.
    then you'll get answer from the guys that will type helpful answers.
    if you're to vauge it's like saying you have a flat tire and what happen to the air.

Leave a comment:

• jhwelder
    replied
    When I MIG 3/8 steel up, I am getting a drooping thick bead in the middle...I can weld downhill great. Do I need to bring my amperage down alot for welding uphill. It seams like it may be too hot. Im think if I drop my amps, it won't penatrate enough. I have been using an upside down "j" weave pattern.

Leave a comment:

• jhwelder
    started a topic Vertical up suggestions

Vertical up suggestions

I'm sure that this has been posted on here before. I am working on my vertical welding and I'm not too proud to say it needs help. Any suggestion would be great. Mostly MIG but occasionally Stick also....thanks
Working...
X