How much to charge for small welding jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hourly wage..

the above post has been the best break down so far. To add to his i would factor a $1 increase in fuel expense if you are running gas powered welders
    Lincoln ranger 8
    Lincoln ln25 pro suit case
    9inch ryobi and dewalt grinders
    ford 350 utility body enclosed
    miller helmets
    millermatic 120

Comment

The simple answer is that you need to charge a fee that corresponds to everything you've put into the job plus a reasonable earning for yourself.

To figure out what what you actually have into a job, you have to sit down and do the math. Add it all up without forgetting anything. If you have 2,000 hours and $5,000 in your education, you need to figure that in as well.

There are people who do this. They are called accountants. Have a sit-down with one and in about 1 hour they can get you straight. They'll think of things you never would have thought of.

Just keep in mind that guys who maintain contractors licenses, insurance, workers comp, and qualification certificates as well as pay local, state, and federal taxes are very upset when a guy comes along taking their jobs without paying the same dues.

People throw around a lot of trash talk about illegal immigrants. I haven't seen a single illegal immigrant running an undocumented portable welding setup, but I have seen dozens of Americans running undocumented portable welding setups.

It doesn't matter what country you come from, if you do 1 job per year or 1000 jobs per year, if you don't pay taxes, social security, and legitimate buisiness expenses, you are an illegal worker and you are taking someone's job.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
      Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
      "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
      "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
      "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

I really struggle with this question when it comes up. I don't mind telling a guy how to do something, but I am not usually willing to tell him how to make money at it. You guys that shared your pricing are giving insights into your way of making money at it. Yes pricing is probably in the public domain but calling a shop to see what they charge with no intention of using them but in fact to undermine their price to me is underhanded unless you were up front with them to start with and told them you were going to be their competition.

I would also be very careful about saying that so and so company down the street charges X amount for their work. This will lead you to checking their rates weekly and adjusting yours. I just don't see how it is a good practice.

Instead nail down your process and procedures. Make sure your the best you can be and figure out what the fair price is according to what you do. Saying that I will charge 40 bucks because they charge 45 is going to drive some shady deals your way. IF your the best value then honest people will bring their business. It also tends to shield you from the "oh it will just take a minute" crowd, not completely but a lot of the time.

I don't think I would want to be the cheapest welder in town, look at the reputation that the cheapest in town have and their clientèle. What I would want to be is the best value, the best welder for the price paid and build my reputation on quality instead of price.

Think of the quality triangle. Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick 2.

Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by diamondback View Post

Think of the quality triangle. Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick 2.
          I'm amazed at the number of people out there that expect 3 and get 1, or even zero.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Well I do alot of side work for family and friends and i charge a flat rate for equipment and a hourly rate similar to the tickets I turn in at work. hourly rate is approx 23.50 , O/a is a 12.00 charge, Chop saw is 10.00, and i would charge a rig fee but for side jobs i charge a 4 hour min ive been burned one too many times not to.

Comment

Working...
            X