Dynasty 200 DX on aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200 DX on aluminum

My machine is new and I was experimenting trying to weld the bottom of a soda can, it can be done somewhat but not to my satisfaction, there is a clear coating on it which degrades the weld, I cant get the current to go low enough, it says 5 amps in the manual and it is set correctly in the menu, It is reading 7 amps at 20 cycles, which is close, as the cycles increase to 250 it goes up to 12 amps. I was just wondering if this is normal? This isnt needed, just playing with the machine and wondering if anyone has any input on this.
    It will weld perfectly on .030 aluminum tube I had in the shop with .062 filler.

mike sr
    mike sr

Did you re-set you start parameters as well? Just wondering...I'm no expert in this area either but I have done that and it helps with the welding on micro thin stuff which I absolutely hate but cannot seem to get out of
    It should go to rock bottom and stay there unless you make it increase.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
      Did you re-set you start parameters as well? Just wondering...I'm no expert in this area either but I have done that and it helps with the welding on micro thin stuff which I absolutely hate but cannot seem to get out of
      It should go to rock bottom and stay there unless you make it increase.
      Fusion,
      It says it will go to 5 amps, but 7 is as low as I can get it to go, I went thru the start parameters and thats what the minimum is set (5 amps) Its not a big deal, I just like to see what it will do, who knows I may want to weld soda cans or something ha!!
      I just did another batch of pipes .020 material, I did them with pulse dc, sounded like a mad bumblebee! I thought 500 cycles the noise would go away but I was wrong. I wanted to try the ac on the steel to see if it would clean like it does on aluminum, but the heat isnt quite low enough, I will try it on 20 cycles and see what happens.
      I get this little bit of scum on the puddle sometimes, and the weld isnt very smooth when that happens, I wanted to try ac with the cleaning cycle and see what it would do.I have some .030 material I guess I will try it on that.

My Trailblazer wont go below 50 to 60 amps on ac either, it will on dc though.

mike sr
      mike sr

Comment

Have you tried a scotch brite pad to remove the coating? Your start parameter (tungsten size) has something to do with how low you can go on amp's.
        Dynasty 200 DX runner
        Sync 350 LX
        XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
        Hobart 135
        ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
          Have you tried a scotch brite pad to remove the coating? Your start parameter (tungsten size) has something to do with how low you can go on amp's.
          I will try that, I went thru the start parameters and set it for .040 tungsten, then welded long enough to get past the startup or so I thought, its pretty tough to watch the meter and weld too ha!! Maybe Miller needs to make up a talking ammeter???
          Thanks for the input...........

mike sr
          mike sr

Comment

Working...
          X