Very lucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very lucky

I was very lucky today. A friend from work had a SS exhaust tip he wanted welded to his 4 runner, and asked if I had time to do it. I said no problem bring it over. He does some welding at work when needed, but doesn't enjoy it like I do. I showed some of the features of my 200 DX runner, and he thought it was pretty cool being able to use multiple power sources. Well, we got everything set the way he wanted, and I welded the tip on with some 309 SS 1/16th filler. I ran four two inch long welds. Let it cool some then masked and hit the weld area with some hi heat paint. He left happy. Then, I started to put my welder up and noticed I FORGOT TO TURN ON THE COOLER I was welding at 60 amp's for about 20 sec. at a time. I didn't notice anything change while I was welding, but grabbed some scrap 1/8 AL and ran some beads for a few minutes. I didn't notice anything different about it... so, I must be pretty lucky! This is a 20 size WC torch of course. I think i'm going to put a sign on the control panel that say's "turn on cooler stupid!" I guess I was distracted having some over while using the DX, got a few months of using it under my belt, and NEVER forgot to turn on the cooler. Just thought I'd share my scare.
    Dynasty 200 DX runner
    Sync 350 LX
    XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
    Hobart 135
    ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

I have done the same thing! I have a little tag on a string that I place around the torch when I finish Tig welding to remind me for the next time. I don’t like any kind of leak, especially in a water hose!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Leave it on

My memory is tasked enough already, I just leave it on, that pump and motor must have 4000 hours on it including the stick time, it's all original, course it's a 20 year old syncrowave 250

Comment

My cure

I built my own cooler for my Dyn 200DX. Since the welder is run from a 220V source, I figured,"Why not go 220v with the cooler, also?"
        I bought a 220v fan & a 220v pump motor. When I assembled the whole mess, I ran the cooler wire parallel to the DYN cord & into the same plug. Since the cooler/fan combo only draws a couple of amps, I have experienced no problems. I did not put an on/off switch on the cooler. If it is plugged in, it runs. The DYN cannot run without the cooler running, also.

Jerry in Anchorage

Comment

Well, glad I'm not the only one. This has been the only problem i've had with this runner package. Miller makes the coolmate 1 in 110 and 220. But, for this runner I think they used the 110 for a good reason. You will almost always have a 110 outlet where you're welding, but may not have more than one 220 outlet. Also, since you have the ability to just take the machine without the cooler, they couldn't really wire them together. I'll just have to put a tag (thank's Sonora iron) on my torch, or something.
          Dynasty 200 DX runner
          Sync 350 LX
          Hobart 135
          ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

I just upgraded my Dynasty/aircooled WP-17, added a 3gal cooler/110v and a WP-20f torch. my Dynasty sites right beside my cooler under the tig table and since Miller stuck the on/off in the rear I have nearly crawl over the cooler to turn it on/off so I feel pretty confident that I will notice as the Binzel fan is strong enough to cool the room and frost your armpits while turning off/on the Dynasty.
            Attached Files
            sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
            AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
            Chaplain CMA chapter 26
            Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
            MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
            Hypertherm PM-45
            Miller 140 mig 110v
            Vtwin builder

Comment

Ultrachop, my set-up is used in more than one place. The cooler switch is on the front, and the 200's switch is in the back (as you know already) and they're stacked. When your in a different place most of the time it's easy to get distracted by someone (or thing) I've done good up til now Monday I will order a spare power cable to have... just in case.
              Dynasty 200 DX runner
              Sync 350 LX
              Hobart 135
              ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

When I was first setting up my used Dialarc HF, the power cable hose had about 6 holes melted into it. After a new cable/hose($50), my Coolmate plugs into the front panel of the welder, as soon as the welder goes on, so does the cooler.
                AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
                3035 spoolgun
                Spectrum 625
                Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

wrenchride247,

For sure with the stacked unit, I would think a failsafe switch would be the ticket. For now I plan on keeping mine under the bench and if I go remote it would (for now) be with the ACT, no cooler.

I am still learning AL tig and most work is at the bench.

Tim
                  sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
                  AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
                  Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                  Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
                  MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
                  Hypertherm PM-45
                  Miller 140 mig 110v
                  Vtwin builder

Comment

Originally posted by bob_e95482 View Post
                    When I was first setting up my used Dialarc HF, the power cable hose had about 6 holes melted into it. After a new cable/hose($50), my Coolmate plugs into the front panel of the welder, as soon as the welder goes on, so does the cooler.
                    I wish there was a 110 aux. on the 200, but no luck there.

Originally posted by Ultrachop View Post
                    wrenchride247,

For sure with the stacked unit, I would think a failsafe switch would be the ticket. For now I plan on keeping mine under the bench and if I go remote it would (for now) be with the ACT, no cooler.

I am still learning AL tig and most work is at the bench.

Tim
                    I think a "hey stupid" note should do the trick, but a failsafe switch does sound good.
                    Dynasty 200 DX runner
                    Sync 350 LX
                    Hobart 135
                    ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

I use a wp17 with a cable hose rated at 100 amps, gas cooled, I also have a wp26 gas cooled, I think its rated 200 amps. The 26 is a bit bulky but the 100 amp isnt,. I know if it gets warm to hang it up for awhile, I dont have to worry about turning on a cooler this way, and its a bunch cheaper............

reason being, old folks forget everything.... and there tight ha!!!

I have always welded with a gas cooled hose, it isnt as bulky on a portable rig, I never burned one up, if it gets too warm, I lay it down and do something else for awhile.
                      Years ago we got one with plastic instead of rubber hose, those got burned up by arc welding bb's, they would go right thru it.

mike sr
                      mike sr

Comment

Those plastic (vinyl) hoses are bad. My friend has them on his sync 250, and they really don't even flex any more. There are electrical tape patches up and down them.
                        Dynasty 200 DX runner
                        Sync 350 LX
                        Hobart 135
                        ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Working...
                        X