Question on Tigging all the way on 2 inch 80 pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Tigging all the way on 2 inch 80 pipe

Whats up fellas, I read on some job codes the bench test on tig is a 2 inch schedule 80 piece of carbon boiler tube which i've got down pretty good with stick, but its supposed to tigged out to the cap. I wanna practice for this and was wondering if i have enough machine and torch for an application of this nature. I have a 302 miller trailblazer and weldcraft series 17 air cooled torch rated to 150 amps. Dont have to money for a watercooled torch either so any hints will help. Thanks in advance everybody.

About 140 amps is all you will need,and about half of that on the root.The torch is fine,may become a little warm in the end if you weld steady but thats pretty much the normal size torch pipe welders use.water cooled torches are not used in the field.
    2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1- Blue star 185
    1- BOBCAT 250
    1- TRAILBLAZER 302
    1- MILLER DVI
    2- PASSPORT PLUS
    1- DYNASTY 200 DX
    1- DYNASTY 280 DX
    1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1- HF-251 BOX
    1- S-74D
    1- S-75DXA
    2- 12-RC SUITCASES
    1- 8-VS SUITCASE
    2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for help, I just got my tig torch put back together I fried my gas line when I first got started, so i had to take that thing apart and shorten up my gas line. I got some heat shielding around the wires that caused me the trouble. Thats what i get for being impatient and not waiting for the help.

Comment

What wires?
        2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
        1- Blue star 185
        1- BOBCAT 250
        1- TRAILBLAZER 302
        1- MILLER DVI
        2- PASSPORT PLUS
        1- DYNASTY 200 DX
        1- DYNASTY 280 DX
        1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
        1- HF-251 BOX
        1- S-74D
        1- S-75DXA
        2- 12-RC SUITCASES
        1- 8-VS SUITCASE
        2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Where the gas and power cable connect into the torch, I had about 2 inches of exposed wiring inside the torch body that i had to shield because i let it get to hot and it burned my gas line.

Comment

I melted the gas hose on an air cooled TIG torch and when I fixed it, I reassembled it with NOALOX on the threads and that reduced the tendency to heat inside the handle and melt the gas hose. Rubber would have been a plus as well.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
            Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
            "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
            "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
            "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

I would switch to the big coax (or however you spell it) style. It is TONS better. The type that uses a separate hose is what I began with untill I tried the better type and never looked back. You'll fry your torch first after that.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I run that 2" x-ray stuff for a living and would never dream of running a root at 70 amps , crank that puppy up around 100 amps. It'll tie in much better and the root will spread out on the inside. If your key hole opens up a little big just feed you wire on the sides and the root will flatten out and look pretty on the I.D. .
                Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                Rockwell vertical mill
                Beverly Shear B-3
                Beverly Shear JR
                Home-made English wheel
                Milwaukee Porta-band
                " Sawz-all
                Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                Powcon 300st

Comment

thanks

thanks alot fellas i'm along way from tigging pipe like the pros but I'll getter down, but thanks again for your help. I'm very green as far tig welding goes so any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
                    I run that 2" x-ray stuff for a living and would never dream of running a root at 70 amps , crank that puppy up around 100 amps. It'll tie in much better and the root will spread out on the inside. If your key hole opens up a little big just feed you wire on the sides and the root will flatten out and look pretty on the I.D. .
                    Got any pictures?

I’m not good / fast enough to handle 100-amps on the root.
                    I’m what you would call a pipe weldor imposter!
                    Caution!
                    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
                      Got any pictures?

I’m not good / fast enough to handle 100-amps on the root.
                      I’m what you would call a pipe weldor imposter!
                      I'll see if I can do that. I've tried the phone camera but it just isn't a good enough camera to clearly see the weld as I would want you to see it. But I did recently get a new camera and I'll see if I have better luck with it. I see more problems with cold tig roots than with hot ones[within reason of course]. If your a lttle hot just feed the wire on the sides not in the middle.
                      Rockwell vertical mill
                      Beverly Shear B-3
                      Beverly Shear JR
                      Home-made English wheel
                      Milwaukee Porta-band
                      " Sawz-all
                      Powcon 300st

Comment

Originally posted by Showdog75 View Post
                        I see more problems with cold tig roots than with hot ones
                        Does this look to cold to you? Looks hot to me.

Caution!

Comment

Your root doesn't look bad, the tie in a 1 o'clock would bust you where I work . It looks like no purge. I realize that alot of places don't require a purge on carbon but it will help clean your weld up and make it more consistent plus I think it lets you carry alittle more heat.Not to mention the root i.d. will look way better with purge.
                          Rockwell vertical mill
                          Beverly Shear B-3
                          Beverly Shear JR
                          Home-made English wheel
                          Milwaukee Porta-band
                          " Sawz-all
                          Powcon 300st

Comment

No purge.
                            Yes tie ins are a hurdle for me to conquer. Good thing I do not have to Tig weld much! Just soon not do it at all. But sometimes it’s unavoidable.
                            Caution!

Comment

purge???

Forgive my ignorance but what do you guys mean by purge??? I'm totally in the dark with this one. sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X