Cleaning Shop Floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Shop Floors

My shop has a concrete floor that is fairly smooth, but being concrete it still has a porous texture. I have swept it and used my shop vac, but it still is filthy. I noticed lots of fine abrasives and metal particles. How do you guys clean up?
    Thanks,
    Nick

"Swab The Deck, Mate"

KIWI: Unless you have access to a floor machine (scrubber/squeegee), a very large industrial mop, bucket, and "elbow grease" works just fine.

dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
      KIWI: Unless you have access to a floor machine (scrubber/squeegee), a very large industrial mop, bucket, and "elbow grease" works just fine. Dave
      Thanks Dave,
      I thought about using a mop, but I was worried about rust stains from using water.
      Nick

Comment

"Zep It"

KIWI: Zep makes good concrete cleaners in a powder form, use a push broom and watch where the water goes, and that even works better.

Dave

Comment

You might want to consider putting down a clear floor sealer.It will prevent oils and such getting into the concrete and make clean up of spills much easier.

Comment

Concrete Sealer

Originally posted by bwldng View Post
            You might want to consider putting down a clear floor sealer.It will prevent oils and such getting into the concrete and make clean up of spills much easier.
            He'll have to completley empty his shop, etch the floor with muratic acid, and make sure there are no current oil spills and stains.

This should really be done when it's new, but even then, still have to acid treat the floor.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
              My shop has a concrete floor that is fairly smooth, but being concrete it still has a porous texture. I have swept it and used my shop vac, but it still is filthy. I noticed lots of fine abrasives and metal particles. How do you guys clean up?
              Thanks,
              Nick
              Don't you have a wife??????

Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Originally posted by JSFAB View Post
                Don't you have a wife??????

Yes I do, and if I suggested that she clean my shop it would be me hiding under the chair.
                Nick

Comment

I use an industrial mop-on floor wax made for commercial tile. You just mop it on and it dries to a hard wax finish. I have a 36" wide fine bristle broom that I sweep with. The wax makes it easy to sweep the floor to be very clean. You have to re-wax as it wears down and fuel or oil spills immediately strip the wax.

Though it sounds counterintuitive, the wax actually makes my boots have better traction, at least until a fine dust accumulates, then it's as slick as a hockey rink.

You'll have to clean the floor very good with an industrial floor cleaner, or Super Clean before applying the wax.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                  Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                  "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                  "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                  "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

I just sweep it and call it good, I eat my dinner inside on a plate though, not off the shop floor.

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
                      I just sweep it and call it good, I eat my dinner inside on a plate though, not off the shop floor.
                      Walker I see your point, but I like to keep my shop clean.
                      Nick

Comment

Sweep then use a shop vac that has a bag in it to get up the fine stuff.

I spent a little extra time coating my concrete floor early on and it has paid back in ease of use. fluids clean up and it is easy to sweep the cuttings, grinder dust and slag into a corner now and then. Might be worth your time to prep and coat. I found that the thick coatings are not the best in welding shops but the thin single layer water born epoxy coatings don' tend to burn like the thicker stuff does.
                        Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi View Post
                          Thanks,
                          Nick
                          This is why you should not have a concrete floor. Many have a natural dirt
                          floor. No sealing required. Low maintenance.
                          Nick
                          Nick
                          Miller 252 Mig
                          Miller Cricket XL
                          Millermatic 150 Mig
                          Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                          2-O/A outfits
                          Jet Lathe and Mill
                          Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                          DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                          Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                          20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                          Propane Forge
                          60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                          Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                          and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

I awase sweep and then mop when the day is done.

Comment

I use my leaf blower to sweep mine, open both doors and have at it. I have shelves built to keep most everything off the floor. I use a shop vac to get the grinding dust off the welding table and immediate floor around it.
                              My floor is concrete but is old and uneven.
                              I sweep the shavings off the mill and the lathe with a shop vac also, usually sweep the shavings up, all else gets blown out on the drive, then its easy to get up if you need to.
                              I use "kitty litter" if I get oil on the concrete, walking thru it will grind it up and after a week or so the oil is gone, then sweep up the mess the litter makes, I also use it around the lathe to get the oil off the floor.
                              I have been doing this for years and it works for me..........

mike sr
                              mike sr

Comment

Working...
                              X