This is TOO Cool!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is TOO Cool!!!

Well, I got my 220 outlet in this morning. Picked up my Miller 180AS Friday and got me some scrap steel and an 80 cuft mixed gas bottle today.

Didn't score much scrap, but made the most of what I could get. I made some ok looking welds, nothing to brag about. Welded some bolts to some steel, angle, etc. Everything held well, just gotta pretty it up.

My biggest hinderence is that I'm working in my garage and when grinding stuff, I'm afraid of where the sparks are gonna go. I've got a water can (water extinguisher), ABC ext, and a smoke detector in there...but still worried. Heck I'm a paid fireman for goodness sake.

Anyway, as soon as I get our flash card downloaded, I'll try to get some pictures up for y'all to critique.

I only got the standard cart for my welder. I wanna weld some type of securing system for the welder, a pull handle, lead hangers, and some storage for tools and what not.

Thanks in advance.
    Miller 180AS
    Standard Cart
    80 cu Ft Argon/ CO2
    Makita Chop Saw
    B&D 4 1/2 angle grinder

It is fun isnt it? I played with my little Thunderbolt some Sat. My neighbor came over Fri. and put my plug on for me,wouldnt take any money. Instead he gave me a project to weld for him. Have fun and lets see some pics.

J.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan Man View Post
      It is fun isnt it? I played with my little Thunderbolt some Sat. My neighbor came over Fri. and put my plug on for me,wouldnt take any money. Instead he gave me a project to weld for him. Have fun and lets see some pics.

J.T.
      I will. The pictures will provide y'all some entertainment I'm sure though. I love it anyway.

Did something really stupid though. I don't have a welding table yet (one of many projects), so right now I'm welding on the ground, while sitting on my toolbox.

Well, when I went out there I only intended on playing with it for a few minutes. I put on a long sleeve shirt, helmet, and gloves. Got carried away and was out there for a while and forgot about the fact of wearing shorts. My legs are looking a little "pinkish" right now and feel like I've been out in the sun a little too long...LOL.

Live and learn.
      Miller 180AS
      Standard Cart
      80 cu Ft Argon/ CO2
      Makita Chop Saw
      B&D 4 1/2 angle grinder

Comment

I try to bounce my sparks off of the garage door. It gives them more air time. This could be a problem, I need a new door and won't want to treat my new, white, insulated door that way.

I know a retired firefighter and she just shakes her head when she's here.
        RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
          I try to bounce my sparks off of the garage door. It gives them more air time. This could be a problem, I need a new door and won't want to treat my new, white, insulated door that way.

I know a retired firefighter and she just shakes her head when she's here.
          That reminds me....I need to pick up a fire extinguisher.
          www.facebook.com/browndogwelding

Blog at TheFabricator.com

www.browndogwelding.com

Comment

You can get welding blankets pretty cheaply from Harbor Freight. I tack one up around where I'm grinding/cutting so the sparks hit the blanket.

I'm also in the process of building a table and putting together the area where I won't need to worry about fire -- I'd hate to start a fire while I'm doing that.
            Jack Olsen
            The Garage(And its slideshow)
            The Car(And its slideshow)

Comment

Fire Extinguishers

Originally posted by jdustu View Post
              That reminds me....I need to pick up a fire extinguisher.
              Yes, most definetly! I have 3 in my shop, one on my rig trailer, one on my patio, 2 in my home. First aid kit and eye wash station is highly recommended in your garage as well. Check with Lab Safety Suppy www.lss.com for reasonable prices on all industrial "strength" safety supplies.

Boy Scout Motto: "Be Prepared"

Dave
              "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by Firescooby View Post
                Got carried away and was out there for a while and forgot about the fact of wearing shorts. My legs are looking a little "pinkish" right now and feel like I've been out in the sun a little too long...LOL.

Live and learn.
                Did the very same thing my self, was not gona admit it, but you did first.
                As far as sparks and fire, pull a 30 min fire watch at the end of the day.
                Keep rags, paper and dust put away.
                It is fun, till you HAVE to make money at it and there is no work.
                Be safe
                Jeff

Give more than you get and
                you will get more than ya need.
                This is true for the good and bad
                that life puts out.

Comment

I got 2 6'X8' welding blankets at HF. Gonna tack them up also.

Well, here's some pictures. Keep in mind that this is my first attempt and I'm just "piddlin" with some scrap.

Trying to work on my technique and wire speed, etc.

Miller 180AS
                  Standard Cart
                  80 cu Ft Argon/ CO2
                  Makita Chop Saw
                  B&D 4 1/2 angle grinder

Comment

One more, and the BLUE machine.

Miller 180AS
                    Standard Cart
                    80 cu Ft Argon/ CO2
                    Makita Chop Saw
                    B&D 4 1/2 angle grinder

Comment

"Clean Burn"

Do yourself a favor, and wire wheel those work pieces. You'll get much better results.

Dave
                      "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

firescooby,

Good to see your excitement!

Dave, you read my mind, I was going to say the same thing. It would save a lot of new mig welders a lot of frustration if that fact was stressed (right after the section on "how to turn it on" in the user manual. (or maybe it is) and like me, never read a manual, till the frustration level got so high that the Wife yelled into the room "Why don't you read the manual"

Have fun!

Tim
                        sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
                        AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
                        Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                        Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
                        MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
                        Hypertherm PM-45
                        Miller 140 mig 110v
                        Vtwin builder

Comment

Crank up the heat.

Comment

I just ordered one of these:

I was going to make my own but had difficulty finding a fabric.
                            I want to use it as a wind break, as well as a slag stopper and a safety screen.
                            Attached Files
                            Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
                            Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
                            Victor SuperRange OA
                            Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
                            Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
                            Milwaukee Hole Hawg
                            Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
                            Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
                            Orbit Drill Press
                            12 Ton Floor Press
                            2002 E-350 V-10:
                            1983 F-150 4.9L 6
                            2004 Honda ST1300
                            2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
                            1997 Suzuki DR650

Comment

I think you have a shielding gas problem. You've got brown soot running along the welds and shouldn't. It also looks like bead porosity everywhere. Unless you're running flux core? (which still wouldn't have porosity)
                              RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X