This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions provoking flame posts

There are stupid questions in the mind of the learned or informed person.
    There are no stupid questions for one to ask who doesnt know.
    I like to consider what it will do to a new posters feelings if I want to make a reply that might upset them. There are lots of people who dont post because they are afraid of the response it will provoke.
    Without the guys who ask these questions there would be no need for a forum.
    If an answer cant be made on a positive note, dont say anything.
    If the questions upset me I just do something else for awhile. I can see the moderators getting upset sometimes, but we dont have to be here or get paid to make the replies as they do.
    I am just shy of 70 years old and I still learn new things from these boards.
    Some of the questions I have asked would be "stupid questions" to a more learned individual I am sure.
    I am not the sharpest tack in the box, but not the dullest either..............
    I also hope none of this drivel offends anyone.
    mike sr
    mike sr

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
    There are stupid questions in the mind of the learned or informed person.
    There are no stupid questions for one to ask who doesnt know.
    I like to consider what it will do to a new posters feelings if I want to make a reply that might upset them. There are lots of people who dont post because they are afraid of the response it will provoke.
    Without the guys who ask these questions there would be no need for a forum.
    If an answer cant be made on a positive note, dont say anything.
    If the questions upset me I just do something else for awhile. I can see the moderators getting upset sometimes, but we dont have to be here or get paid to make the replies as they do.
    I am just shy of 70 years old and I still learn new things from these boards.
    Some of the questions I have asked would be "stupid questions" to a more learned individual I am sure.
    I am not the sharpest tack in the box, but not the dullest either..............
    I also hope none of this drivel offends anyone.
    mike sr
    Mike Hi;

I couldn't agree more !

If someone asks what you consider an unintelligent or lazy question, please
    Ignor It and move along to something else. Maybe something productive

.............. Norm
    www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

No Kiddin'!!

Especially when the question is a simple Yes or No answer or maybe a single line of text at max. Then they sit there and type a 500 word essay on how stupid it was, and complain about the time they had to put into it, when all it would have taken was about a two second YES, or NO.
      sigpic
      Miller Trailblazer 302
      Smith Torch Outfit
      Lots of Grinders
      Miller Elite Autodark Hood
      O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Well, its not so much the questions, its the common questions that have been asked over and over again, to which a simple search could easily solve.

Me, I don't care, as I'll answer them over again. Gives me something to do while I'm repairing a machine in the shop, keeps my mind going ....

Comment

Search is a powerful tool but...sometimes a common question results in an uncommon answer. Search only relives the past. Perhaps a newer member has more to add to previously voiced answers and opinions.

Many members come and go and many have been here for a while and will be here for a while to come. I have asked questions that I could have searched. I did so not out of laziness (I am both lazy and stupid at times hopefully not both at the same time) but to see what the present thoughts were. One such question was what tungsten and what tip shape to use with an older technology transformer machine. The books tell me one thing the folks here another. The folks here were right IMO as things have progressed in the metallurgy of Tungsten. I am a high performance driving instructor on the weekends and I have at times learned much about myself and driving from even the greenest of students. For every person posting a simple intro class level question I bet there are 3 or 4 lurkers that get something from the answer.
          Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

Fact, there are huge amounts of resources available, with just a few clicks.

Even on this very page,,,, just look up above, apparently many people just can't be bothered.

IF, one decided, for example, to download and read Miller's TIG tutorial,,,, you would probably not only find the answer to your own "dumb question",,, but learn enough more that you could actually start TIG welding,,,, and only ask questions about the stuff you didn't quite understand ..... or questions about things that aren't covered. FACT,,, the basic stuff you can find out, clicking above, in five minutes, and you will learn more, much more.

Many of us here are of an age,,,, that we started before "internet welding" became popular,,,,,, Some went thru teaching programs (apprenticionship, classes), some just did it trial and error. Try something, if it looks good, do a break test. WE LEARNED. I was the trial and error guy for the most part, dam, did I learn. Personal experience, and believe me, I remember every lesson.

I mean,,,, the C25 Tig question ,,,,, What does it cost to just try it on a piece of scrap? 0.3 cubic feet of gas, and 1" of tungsten rod????? JUST TRY IT!!!!! Then you will know for sure, no???

Trying not to be crude here, I am making a point ..... way back when, everybody,,,, your first attempt at "procreation" ..... did you ask anybody??? Did you get easy to follow, step-by-step instructions??? OR did you just leap blindly into the attempt, with maybe a few pointers from reading a couple magazines,,,, and in between attempts, maybe having some discussions with a few buddies????? And wasn't it easier, every time you "experimented" with the process??? Of course, many people experiment more, and go further, than others we ain't getting into that.

Most of the sarcastic and "angry" postings are not designed to shame the questioner into never posting again, but they are trying to get people to do a little basic research on their own, understand the process,,,, trying to get people to LEARN the subject matter on their own,,,,, by taking advantage of all the pre-written resources already available,,,,,, which by the way, is much more in-depth than answering one question at a time.

Think about it ........
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

The problem is not the stupid questions, it's the questions like "What TIG machine should I buy? I don't want to have to upgrade in a couple years." The question doesn't make me angry, but it does give me a opportunity to poke fun at a lazy ignorant person.

People that spend a lot of time typing in flame responses are pretty rare. Usually people spend time defending themselves against the holier-than-though people on this board. Personally, I can't be bothered even responding to an attack on an Internet board, but some people get bothered by it and are inclined to type long responses explaining why they poked fun at the lazy ignorant person.

Even if someone totally flames a lazy ignorant person, who cares? The lazy ignorant person isn't ever going to contribute intelligently to this message board regardless of whether you answer them or scare them away. Of course if you just like helping lazy ignorant people out, then the state of Massachusetts just to my south has a whole pile of people living on welfare too lazy to do anything-- go have at it and help 'em out if you're so inclined.
              miller dynasty 350
              miller spectrum 1000

Comment

Also, some will act as if stupidity were a virtue
                Last edited by monte55; 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM.
                Nick
                Miller 252 Mig
                Miller Cricket XL
                Millermatic 150 Mig
                Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                2-O/A outfits
                Jet Lathe and Mill
                Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                Propane Forge
                60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

My mom told me as a youngster "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"

Some of the "would be know it alls" would do well to attempt the same.

Rarely from my lips will critisism flow.

Peace,
                  Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Seaman View Post
                    My mom told me as a youngster "If you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all"

Peace,
                    Paul
                    Very well spoken Paul , your my kinda guy.
                    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
                    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
                    Rockwell vertical mill
                    Beverly Shear B-3
                    Beverly Shear JR
                    Home-made English wheel
                    Milwaukee Porta-band
                    " Sawz-all
                    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
                    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
                    Powcon 300st

Comment

I posted this in the "C25" thread, but it applies here. Most of the more learned folks on this forum that chastise people for stupid questions, or repeat questions, "that a simple search" would answer, are totally unaware that the search function on this forum software is worse than useless. It doesn't work at all.

Try it yourself, and you will see.....

I posted a tip for all to try out. Don't use this forum search feature, use Google. Type in "topic" site:http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...nities/mboard/

This will give you far more meaningful results....
                      Syncrowave 350
                      Coolmate 3
                      Millermatic 135
                      Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Seaman View Post

Peace,
                        Paul
                        I agree Paul, and I am my worst critic........

mike sr
                        mike sr

Comment

Is this more of an issue of someone asking a basic question found typically in the first chapter of any book on the subject, or a difference in personality? I have noticed almost 2 distinct seperate groups of people, those that learn by observing and researching, and those that learn by asking a million questions of someone. This is similiar to the "filler metal" questions I always see. There are a million printings of filler metal selection charts, yet people always ask "what should I use for XXXX base material?" Why? I have no idea. I love one of my old WW2 instructional films on aircraft repair, in a 45 minute film they must say "consult the manual" about 20 times....I love it! Maybe instead of answering all these types of questions one by one, the first person to respond can make a link to the appropriate material and simply say "consult the manual". Hmmm?

I think Broccoli typically does this....
                          "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                          Miller Dynasty 200DX
                          Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
                          Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
                          Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Comment

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                            Is this more of an issue of someone asking a basic question found typically in the first chapter of any book on the subject, or a difference in personality?....
                            I agree with your insight. One of the troubles with any subject, including welding, is that common practice evolves over time. Some things stay the same forever, and some things change rapidly.

One example is tungstens. Even the most recent books and guides tend to have either confusing info with regards to rare earth (e.g. Lanthanated or Ceriated) electrodes or no info at all. Then you have many differences of opinion to boot.
                            Syncrowave 350
                            Coolmate 3
                            Millermatic 135
                            Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

I have asked my share of stupid questions and probably could have used the search... I have hesitated several times posting stuff because I knew, with enough time, I could find it in a previous thread. However, I like the comment of one of the other guys - you never know if somebody will give a new and different viewpoint or if someone will post that hasn't posted before. I could have easily found a good new machine w/o posting my thread, but I was really interested in the comments.....

Keep in mind too that I may not be able to share much expertise on this forum , but I can take the learnings I get from this forum and go to another forum and I can now help another dude - or my son who is learning as well. "Dad, how much shielding gas do I use again?"..... I'll bet you answer every time.....

Great thread - thanks for the comments. Some of these threads do get pretty heated !!
                              Last edited by AlphaRat; 04-20-2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X