This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tig with C25

I picked up a tig torch today for my maxstar 150. I don't have a argon bottle yet, but I do have a full bottle of C25 on my mig cart. Can I use this for sheilding gas untill I can get a argon bottle?
    Thanks

Sparky

Sure, use the C25 for tig. Just buy plenty of tungsten to keep feeding that torch. It'll burn it up faster than you can stick it in.

Have you read the first text on tig welding? It will tell you to use straight argon (or helium or a mixture of the two) as your covering gas.

Personally, I feel that anyone should be embarrased to even ask this question on a message forum. Shows a total lack of effort/study on your part. With that said, do you think you're just going to flip the switch and start tig welding?
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

No it won't work, ONLY inert gasses,,,,Helium and Argon are the only gasses that will work.

Sorry, but that is the way it is,

Peace,
      Paul

Comment

Nitrogen is also an inert gas but it is not capable for use as a sheilding gas for tig welding,but it can be used for purging pipe for the root.
        2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
        1- Blue star 185
        1- BOBCAT 250
        1- TRAILBLAZER 302
        1- MILLER DVI
        2- PASSPORT PLUS
        1- DYNASTY 200 DX
        1- DYNASTY 280 DX
        1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
        1- HF-251 BOX
        1- S-74D
        1- S-75DXA
        2- 12-RC SUITCASES
        1- 8-VS SUITCASE
        2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

I your middle name Dik?

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post

Personally, I feel that anyone should be embarrased to even ask this question on a message forum. Shows a total lack of effort/study on your part. With that said, do you think you're just going to flip the switch and start tig welding?
          MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
            I your middle name Dik?
            Sundown is known for his abusive replies on this and other forums. Innocent newbies come here for advice and he slams them every chance he gets......
            Last edited by Jeffw5555; 04-20-2009, 07:06 AM.
            Syncrowave 350
            Coolmate 3
            Millermatic 135
            Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

Yes, but he gets his point across, and the message sticks.

Reading the original post, I think the op would be doing very well to look here: http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-your-skills/ and do some reading; he probably has many more things to learn. Reading the technical articles on this very website, provided FREE by Miller, is a very valuable resource that is sadly underutilized.
              Last edited by JSFAB; 04-19-2009, 10:24 AM.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Gee Guys,

Thanks for all the kudo's. You really didn't have to do that.

Jeff,

If you changed your comment from "innocent newbie's" to "lazy newbie's", I'd have to agree with you 100%.

Posters who make NO effort on their own, rather than typing out a question on a message board, do not deserve to be coddled.

BTW. I don't come on the message boards to be everybody's "best buddy" and friend (got plenty of friends already). I come on the boards to learn and possibly pass on a tidbit of information gained from years of experience.

People who are "lazy" in their approach to gaining knowledge will invariably be lazy in their development of welding skills. I have no place for a "slacker". Never have, never will.

Have a nice day.
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Now fellas we will have none of that!!!

Being blunt, is not disrespectful. We as a group have answered many questions multiple times. We can learn much from reading the books that our machines come with,,,or downloading the book from the miller site. Also there is a Tig handbook from the resource center that answers that question also.

Now for Vulgarity, cut it out or go away!
                  Paul

Comment

tig gasses

yes you would just mess up your tung. and maby a cup or two and the weld/
                    99 % of your welding would be covered with pure argon/i know you are wanting to melt some metal " rat now"but do yourself a favor and wait for the right gas /good luck and happy TIG'ing/NOW :don't be put off on this forum by some of the folks and their(personalities ?) tollerance / i have learned much from some very gruff folks/we all have our own style/so just take it as you choose/after many years of welding i was taking a C.E.welding class at the local C.C. i was trying to cut some plates for a cert test and ask the inst. for a new tip because someone had bent it/ he said that is a scrafing tip dumb a-- you will learn to use it on the plate test/that was one of my MANY humbling experiences/ but i learned /remember there are no dumb questions just dumb answers / we all have to start somewhere
                    good luck pat
                    post script : sundown please back of on your intollerence of the new guys they have to learn somewhere/ if you don't like the question ? you are not required to answer/i know you have a wealth of know how that could help us all and i thank you for it/don't take this the wrong way but maby tone it down/thanks pat

Comment

Patrick,

Believe me, I did "tone it down" for this poster. Can't type my original thoughts regarding the question.

If the majority of the members here had a clue regarding my background (Military Special Ops) you'd understand that I've encountered my share of "dumb questions". This was indeed a "tactful" response as opposed to the response I would have given had the poster been face to face with me.

As far as attacking a "new poster", someone needs to get their facts straight. If you look, the OP joined the board in 04, not last week. On 9/15/04 he posted that he had received his Miller Student Package and had read it from front to back. Best $25 he ever spent.

You'd think that in over four years of being a member, you'd learn what the "search" feature is for. It's truly amazing what typing "tig covering gas" into the search feature produces.

If you want to be spoonfed, go to kindergarden. If you want real world answers to welding questions, post them on a welding forum and be "big" enough to deal with the responses.
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Hobart HH187
                      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                      More grinders than hands

Comment

What does you being a former Military Special Operations soldier have to do with the question? You seem to fall back on that whenever someone criticizes your abusive posts. Are you trying to impress someone on here? You have proven you know a lot about welding with your posts but you have also proven to be an abusive and hateful poster. You can always ignore the question instead of chewing out posters......
                        hh 187.:
                        powcon 300 st
                        cheap chinese plasma cutter
                        miller diversion :

Comment

Originally posted by down19992000 View Post
                          What does you being a former Military Special Operations soldier have to do with the question? You seem to fall back on that whenever someone criticizes your abusive posts. Are you trying to impress someone on here? You have proven you know a lot about welding with your posts but you have also proven to be an abusive and hateful poster. You can always ignore the question instead of chewing out posters......
                          I agree with the above. Sundown has proven that he has a lot of knowledge about welding, and he does help out quite a bit, but also abuses plenty of people on numerous forums.

Here's a snippet of his latest "work" on the Hobart forum:

"Are you really as ignorant as you come across?

....snip...... Flat out stupid in my book.

....snip.....Based on your demonstrated knowledge of "welding" I think you should start with a double pack of JB WELD. Be sure to read the instructions on how to open the tubes."

Too bad he can't just help folks out without the noise.......
                          Syncrowave 350
                          Coolmate 3
                          Millermatic 135
                          Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

i think some people take there welding a little too seriously and can't fathom that some one might just have a simple question. This is a message board not the SEALs you don't have to earn it here. Or at least most of us feel that way. Welding is a hobby and something of an obsession for me but i have many much more important things to worry about in a day. If it were my sole occupation i might feel different but that is not the case for many members. It would be nice if some friendly help motivated a newbie to persue higher knowledge, instead of this.
                            Dynasty 200 DX
                            Millermatic 175
                            Spectrum 375
                            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                              If the majority of the members here had a clue regarding my background (Military Special Ops) you'd understand that I've encountered my share of "dumb questions". This was indeed a "tactful" response as opposed to the response I would have given had the poster been face to face with me.
                              I would state my background as well, but when I left, and during my debriefing process to give up my Top Secret clearance, I was told I could never say what I did.....

But this has absolutely nothing to do with helping folks out on a welding board, (either of our backgrounds) and I wish you could be more tolerant about jumping down people's throats here and on the other boards......
                              Syncrowave 350
                              Coolmate 3
                              Millermatic 135
                              Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

Working...
                              X