Welder opinions for a home shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder opinions for a home shop

I just read a thread about a Maxstar 150. Sounds like a sweet machine. Right now I only have a Lincoln ProMig140 110V machine (gas). I would like to add another machine in my house garage. Normal application is sheet metal (car work), but I do on occasion weld 1/4" (I may do thicker someday, but probably very little).

I ruled out the Maxstar150 since it doesn't do Aluminum (although I have NEVER welded aluminum in my life) and also ruled out the Diversion 165 since it doesn't do stick.

So based on that, I figured if I'm going to spend over $1200, my cheapest option would be the Sync200 to get Aluminum, steel with Tig and stick and 1/4" capability (best bang for the buck, I guess.... - I will not spend to get a Dynasty200).

What do you guys think - if you were supplementing a 110V Mig in the scenario I describe above, what machine (or machines) would you you add in your garage? Would you add the 220V Mig and a Sync200, just the Sync200 or some other mix of machines? I am sure there are 100 threads w/ similar topic, but I'm too tired to search through all of them again !!!
    Last edited by AlphaRat; 04-17-2009, 05:22 PM.

Miller Dynasty 200DX. Alot more efficeint than a Syncrowave.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Comment

If your budget minded, the syc200 and MM211. If you want to go Max capability, all the bells and whistles. Dyn 200 and MM212 with a spool gun. If money is NO object Dyn 350/MM350p
      Dynasty 200 DX
      Millermatic 175
      Spectrum 375
      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Home Shop Circuits

First question: Do you have enough electrical service for the Sync 200? You'll need a 60 amp circuit. If this is not an issue, then by all means, the Sync 200 is a rock solid machine. It draws a lot of "juice" compared to an inverter. A Sync 200 Runner Pak is around $2200 compared to a Dynasty 200DX w/ contractor kit $3500.

Dave
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
          First question: Do you have enough electrical service for the Sync 200? You'll need a 60 amp circuit. If this is not an issue, then by all means, the Sync 200 is a rock solid machine. It draws a lot of "juice" compared to an inverter. A Sync 200 Runner Pak is around $2200 compared to a Dynasty 200DX w/ contractor kit $3500.

Dave
          I would need to put in a 220V, but that's not a problem. Truthfully I did not think about inverter versus transformer.....

Comment

Another thing that appealed to me about the dynasty compared to a syncrowave is the dynasty is portable when you consider it only weighs 45 lbs compared to 240 lbs for the syncrowave. So if you get pretty proficient at tig[or stick] welding you could possibly go mobile and make some extra cash.
            Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
            Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
            Rockwell vertical mill
            Beverly Shear B-3
            Beverly Shear JR
            Home-made English wheel
            Milwaukee Porta-band
            " Sawz-all
            Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
            Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
            Powcon 300st

Comment

I never like to buy a machine that doesnt have all the features I anticipate needing, a few extra bucks now and you wont be sorry later.......

I just bought a new dynasty 200dx, and love it.

If you have the machine, usually you will find work for it at some point.

mike sr
              mike sr

Comment

A MM211 and a spoolgun would do what your old machine did and also do up to 3/8ths... plus weld aluminum.
                If you are a good mig weldor you would be pretty much covered.
                You could then sell you present machine and re-coup some of your cash.
                It runs on both 115v and 230v and is less that a grand without the spoolgun and a little over with it maybe depending on where you go.
                Nothing on the planet at this time gives more bang for the buck. This includes all the Chinese crap as well.
                Mig will fix/make just about anything. Then begin saving for a Dynasty of some sort if you want to just play with a tig machine.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Great info - thanks a ton for the feedback. I was thinking MM212, but the feedback on this thread plus another I read comparing those machines sells me on the MM211. I didn't realize they were less than $1000.....

I had been leaning towards the Dynasty machine, but just didn't want to sink that kind of cash since I haven't Tig'd before... All the arguments you guys make however sure make that look like a better option.... I may go used or rental first just to make sure I can do the Tig before dumping the wallet.

Comment

I borrowed a maxstar 200, didnt take a week to convince me!! I then bought the dynasty 200dx because it did aluminum as well.

The rental idea is a good one too.

mike sr
                    mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
                      I borrowed a maxstar 200, didnt take a week to convince me!! I then bought the dynasty 200dx because it did aluminum as well.

The rental idea is a good one too.

mike sr
                      I just love burning wire. I may not be all that good at it, but I sure do like it. Kinda like the smell of your baby girl's hair, smelling a diesel engine on a cold morning or hearing a coyote howl in the brush - just soothes the soul....
                      Last edited by AlphaRat; 04-18-2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaRat View Post
                        I just love burning wire. I may not be all that good at it, but I sure do like it. Kinda like the smell of your baby girl's hair, smelling a diesel engine on a cold morning or hearing a coyote howl in the brush - just soothes the soul....
                        I sorta feel that way about 2 stroke smoke and the racing fuel burning on stock cars.

And burning hair ...on my arm

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
                          If money is NO object Dyn 350/MM350p
                          YEESH LAIKY!!! With all of FUSIONKINGS posts, you just GOTTA admit he has to go with a Dyn 700!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm going to sleep now.......
                          I'm not late...
                          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaRat View Post

I am like that with the smell of burning a P5 rod (6010), I started out with them and finished up the last five years with them I think mine is trying to relive my younger days ha!!

mike sr
                            mike sr

Comment

"Rod-Aroma"

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
                              I am like that with the smell of burning a P5 rod (6010), I started out with them and finished up the last five years with them I think mine is trying to relive my younger days ha!!

mike sr
                              5P, 5P+, 6P+, SA7010HYP, 6011, 6013, 7014, 7018.........all have their unique fragrance!

Nothin' like a shot of C-25 with an argon chaser to get you going in the morning too!

For dessert, how about a little brazing rod?
                              "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Working...
                              X