No announcement yet.

Vent Session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offence but you wouldn't make it with that machine I had one and a pipepro and they couldn't hack it. The pipepro dosen't like the cold and the TB would over heat after a couple hours of fab. Plus the fact the line dosen't like whiner's so if that's what you do stay with structural. This is just my opinion take it or leave it but I've been at this racket for 20 some years.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked one View Post
      The pipepro dosen't like the cold and the TB would over heat after a couple hours of fab.
      So far I haven't had a problem with my machine overheating. 30 of the hours were put on in two days. I know I haven't even hardly broke the thing in yet, but running for 15 hours straight and not overheating was doin pretty good I think. Just my personal opinion though.

Plus the fact the line dosen't like whiner's so if that's what you do stay with structural.
      I by no means meant to sound like a whiner, just got mad because of matters previously mentioned. It's just had gettin started and not to mention someone telling me that I got the wrong machine for the job. Perhaps, if things progress the way I hope, I can get myself a better machine. 'Nuff Said.
      sigpic
      Miller Trailblazer 302
      Smith Torch Outfit
      Lots of Grinders
      Miller Elite Autodark Hood
      O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

I ran the snot out of my 302 (kohler) and it never overheated for the time I had it, but it sure didn't like the cold and wet, that is when I had most of my problems, a few degrees above or below freezing and high humidity = lots of headaches for me.
        hre

Comment

PipePro Vs The Cold

I worked with a guy that blew up his Pipe Pro 300D this winter. He fired it up and went straight to welding, not to smart. Made it to his second or third rod and that was all she wrote. It was still under warranty and he had a brand new machine in 3-days at no cost. I really liked his machine we actually swiched a few times for fun. I would buy one if I didn't have a red truck, can't have no blue machine on a red truck We were working in Council Bluffs, IA around the first of Dec. Had he let the machine warm up I'm sure he wouldn't have had any problems.
          '08 F-350
          Vantage 400
          SA-250
          SA-200
          Invertec V350Pro
          Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
          Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
          Track torch

Comment

TB 302 vs Big Red

welderdude: As I mentioned before, the TB 302 is a service truck/ plant maintenance machine. If you are serious (or already commited) to running with the "big dogs" in 798, you better be prepared. 9 out of every 10 Local 798 Pipeliner Rigs have Lincoln Classics or Vantage 400/500's The Classics for stick, the Vantage for the LN-25's. On occasion, a few Miller Pro 300's.

For what I do, my TB serves the purpose. If your endeavors are CC Pipeline welding, better sell the TB and get a "real" welder, because they won't even let you on the job to run a grinder. The project engineers know the arc consistencies of the Big Lincoln Classics, and their reliability.

I ran some ShieldArc 7010's today, and there's a difference between them and 5P+, the Kohler let me know it. To keep them lit and puddle well, I ran them at 110 amps, full dig.

As a suggestion, get some pipe coupons, take your TB over to your neighbor's and run both welders, and draw your own conclusions.

I'm not running Miller in the ground, they make great stuff, certain machines are better for different purposes. In the case of "stacking" beads without undercut, the pure DC Pipeliner or Classic is the ticket.

Dave
            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
              welderdude: As I mentioned before, the TB 302 is a service truck/ plant maintenance machine. If you are serious (or already commited) to running with the "big dogs" in 798, you better be prepared. 9 out of every 10 Local 798 Pipeliner Rigs have Lincoln Classics or Vantage 400/500's The Classics for stick, the Vantage for the LN-25's. On occasion, a few Miller Pro 300's.

For what I do, my TB serves the purpose. If your endeavors are CC Pipeline welding, better sell the TB and get a "real" welder, because they won't even let you on the job to run a grinder. The project engineers know the arc consistencies of the Big Lincoln Classics, and their reliability.

I ran some ShieldArc 7010's today, and there's a difference between them and 5P+, the Kohler let me know it. To keep them lit and puddle well, I ran them at 110 amps, full dig.

As a suggestion, get some pipe coupons, take your TB over to your neighbor's and run both welders, and draw your own conclusions.

I'm not running Miller in the ground, they make great stuff, certain machines are better for different purposes. In the case of "stacking" beads without undercut, the pure DC Pipeliner or Classic is the ticket.

Dave
              I may have to see if he'll let me try it out, but most likely I won't get into pipelining any time soon. Future wifey probably wouldn't like me being gone that much anyway. Mostly what I was thinking was maybe a summer of doing the ethanol plant work. 3-4 days a week tops, as I work my other job full time (40 hrs in 3 days). Then when that e-plant is done, get my mobile repair business goin. Surely the TB should be able to handle that right? I guess if not, I still have (currently) two and a half years of warranty left.
              sigpic
              Miller Trailblazer 302
              Smith Torch Outfit
              Lots of Grinders
              O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

VS Feeder?

Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
                I may have to see if he'll let me try it out, but most likely I won't get into pipelining any time soon. Future wifey probably wouldn't like me being gone that much anyway. Mostly what I was thinking was maybe a summer of doing the ethanol plant work. 3-4 days a week tops, as I work my other job full time (40 hrs in 3 days). Then when that e-plant is done, get my mobile repair business goin. Surely the TB should be able to handle that right? I guess if not, I still have (currently) two and a half years of warranty left.
                Depending on what type of process plant piping they're planning on doing, you may want to invest in a VS or RC Wire Feeder. The CV output of the TB is excellent, and up to 24-25 volts, will handle most jobs. DC Tig can be run very easily with or without a remote too. Wasn't trying to discourage you in anyway, just being realistic. The TB is a very good unit, rated "best in class" and it's unique alternator/generator design delivers the accessory power to run plasma cutters or MaxStars without interferring with arc performance. It would be a boring welding world, if we only had 1 choice of machines.

Keep us posted

Dave

Comment

From what I've heard it's both 6010 root with 7018 fill and cap, and either tig root and fill or just tig root with 7018 fill and cap.
                  sigpic
                  Miller Trailblazer 302
                  Smith Torch Outfit
                  Lots of Grinders
                  O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

I been following this thread all along.
                    I think you "got it"
                    I read where you refer to "tigging pipe"...if that's all you're gonna do you ain't gonna have any problem!
                    Just figure out what the actual process is gonna be.
                    I doubt you will be burning big rods on 2' diameter pipe there but I could be wrong. I would think an ethonol plant would be more exotic metals than anything.
                    There are more than likely people here that have exp. at those types of plants and maybe chime in and let you know exactly what type of work you could expect.
                    Unless you already know all this...then never mind.
                    I'm trying to imagine exactly how a job like that would work with people all using whatever equipment they brought?? Would'a thought it would all be done off of welder banks the contractor leased or owned.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

No offence but you wouldn't make it with that machine I had one and a pipepro and they couldn't hack it. The pipepro dosen't like the cold and the TB would over heat after a couple hours of fab. Plus the fact the line dosen't like whiner's so if that's what you do stay with structural. This is just my opinion take it or leave it but I've been at this racket for 20 some years.
                      I can pretty much guarantee you I have run my TB in a MUCH, MUCH hotter environment and have never had a bit of overheating trouble. Mine runs fine in 100° plus temps all day long.
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Welderdude402,when the moneys tight,get whatever job you can,use what ya got to get the job done,Fake it till you make it!get the experience.If you burn up your machine,throw in the gutter and go buy another!Chalk it up to "experience"!Just remember that today is just practice for tomorrow!
                        Miller Pipepro 304
                        Miller Bluestar 2E
                        Miller Syncrowave 250
                        Lincoln HD 175
                        Victor Jr. torch
                        Purox angle head torch
                        Smith torch
                        Atlas Lathe
                        Bridgeport mill

Comment

For all around general welding you cant beat a Trailblazer.It is pretty much a 100% duty cycle machine tested at I beleive to be @ 104 degrees.I weld pipe with it but im not a pipeliner either.If I did then a bigger diesel machine would be needed.
                          2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
                          1- Blue star 185
                          1- BOBCAT 250
                          1- TRAILBLAZER 302
                          1- MILLER DVI
                          2- PASSPORT PLUS
                          1- DYNASTY 200 DX
                          1- DYNASTY 280 DX
                          1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
                          1- HF-251 BOX
                          1- S-74D
                          1- S-75DXA
                          2- 12-RC SUITCASES
                          1- 8-VS SUITCASE
                          2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Hot, Hot, Hot..........

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                            I can pretty much guarantee you I have run my TB in a MUCH, MUCH hotter environment and have never had a bit of overheating trouble. Mine runs fine in 100° plus temps all day long.
                            I may have your environment beat by a few degrees. I haven't experienced any problems either. Of course, it's a DRY heat!

How's things in San Antone?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 1428turbo View Post
                              Welderdude402,when the moneys tight,get whatever job you can,use what ya got to get the job done,Fake it till you make it!get the experience.If you burn up your machine,throw in the gutter and go buy another!Chalk it up to "experience"!Just remember that today is just practice for tomorrow!

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"
                              Dylan

RED BIRD WELDING

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"

HH-140
                              Crappy stick welder
                              Victor supper range II
                              Makita grinder
                              more stuff i don't feel like listing.

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                                I may have your environment beat by a few degrees. I haven't experienced any problems either. Of course, it's a DRY heat!

How's things in San Antone?

Dave
                                Things are wet here at the moment. I thought it forgot how to rain....and I forgot how to put the cover on my TB.

Yup, you may have a few degrees on me there. But if I go to Laredo or Terlingua, all bets are off. Point is they run great in HOT weather...real hot weather. No overheating or anything. Seems to me, the only ones having troubles with the TB are in the cold weather most of the time...and of course, that just means the machine is automatically a pos. I won't get into the pipeline "discussion" as I really don't like peeing into the wind. The TB wasn't designed as a pipline machine, although it can be used that way with good results. Plenty have proved that fact already. Use the machine for what it was designed for and you will always get good or better results. Use it outside its design range, and you are on your own. It will either work or not. If you want to run pipe on the line, get a machine designed for that purpose.
                                Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                                '06 12RC feeder
                                Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                                Esab Multimaster 260
                                Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                                X