Dynasty 200DX with MVP cord/plugs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200DX with MVP cord/plugs??

Is it possible to use one of the MVP cords/plugs with the Dynasty 200DX? I asked because I like my Passport Plus with the MVP, however after looking at the parts manual I believe I would need the DVI2 cord, since they are both 12ga wire (opposed the PPs 14ga). Has anyone done the swap?

I am looking to do it for simplicty sake in extra outlets/wire plus it is nice to be able to swap the plugs quickly if I need to connect it to a 110 outlet. Plus the 2ft longer cord can be nice, I found with my PP+ it would have come in hand..

Thanks for the help!

You could but you're probably better off just making a few different pigtails. I've got a 3ph 4 wire plug on my welder, a 4 wire extension cord and then a 3 wire 1ph adapter and a 120 that plugs into that.
    Miller Maxstar 200 DX
    RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
    Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
    Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
    Hitachi 4.5" grinder
    http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

Do a search. This has been covered so many times it's rediculous.
      Dynasty 350DX
      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
      MM 350P
      MM Passport Plus
      Spectrum 375 Extreme
      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Eyecandy,
        I am doing that exact mod to my Dynasty 200 DX tomorrow. I'll post how it went after I get it done.
        Mike
        Last edited by Awestech; 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM.
        Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
        Miller Coolmate 3
        Miller LMSW-52 Spotwelder - (Still Going Strong )
        Lincoln Sp-175 Plus MIG
        Miller Digital Elite Helmet
        Miller Elite Helmet
        Speedglas 9100xx w/ADFLO Helmet

Comment

Why?

You can make a Pigtail for less than 20 bux.

How much does the MVP power Cord and MVP plugs cost?
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Dude,
            Don't bother. It won't work as a direct wire replacement cord. The 4 wires in the Dynasty are set up for single OR 3 phase. The MVP cords 4 wire set up is for single phase tapping off different parts of a main input transformer. You can not directly wire the MVP plug to the Dynasty because in one configuration you would be trying to run single phase into the 3 phase wire of the Dynasty. Won't work. Not advised. Void warranty.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
              Dude,
              Don't bother. It won't work as a direct wire replacement cord. The 4 wires in the Dynasty are set up for single OR 3 phase. The MVP cords 4 wire set up is for single phase tapping off different parts of a main input transformer. You can not directly wire the MVP plug to the Dynasty because in one configuration you would be trying to run single phase into the 3 phase wire of the Dynasty. Won't work. Not advised. Void warranty.

Andy
              It can and has been done. I've done it, and it works. You lose the 3-phase option though.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I will have to do a little bit of searching, I called up Miller the DVI2 cord is about $70, I have a 110 and 230 plug for my PP+ can can just easily swap the 110 between the two, and purchase a second 230MVP.

I understand its not the most economical way to do this, I just worry getting wires crossed or not being about to find a plug/outlet.

Anyone have links on custom adapters?

Originally posted by tasslehawf View Post
                You could but you're probably better off just making a few different pigtails. I've got a 3ph 4 wire plug on my welder, a 4 wire extension cord and then a 3 wire 1ph adapter and a 120 that plugs into that.
                DO you have any pics or part numbers for the adapters?

Originally posted by Awestech View Post
                Eyecandy,
                I am doing that exact mod to my Dynasty 200 DX tomorrow. I'll post how it went after I get it done.
                Mike
                Please let me know how it turns out and post up some pics!!

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
                Dude,

Andy
                I kinda don't follow, they are both 12G 4C cords, one has a bare end while the other is a termiated/adapter end. Wire is wire, so the MVP would be connected the same as the Dynasty... Afterall I though the Dynasty is automatically detects the voltage so all I would be doing is switching the MVP plugs....same as wiring up/installing a plug on the existing Dynasty cord except u just get it done faster....

My 3yr warranty is up in a month... I guess not much too worry there.

As for the 3phase, I don not for see me needing that feature, if there is an instance I would need it, I would say they already have the welder I need...

Comment

A little addition I would like to make, it dawned on me afterwards. I unstand about not being about to use the 3ph since there is no 3ph MVP which is no big deal for me seeing as I will use 230 in the garage, and most likely 110 on the road, and I have only seen 3ph in industrial applications which I do not see me going there.

Comment

Originally posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
                    It can and has been done. I've done it, and it works. You lose the 3-phase option though.
                    Ahhh NO, on a single phase dynasty you use the black and the white wires, 3 phase you use the red. If you are using the red in single phase you will smoke the boost board and generally take out the mother board when the boost board craps out, and get absoutly zero warranty on it.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                      Ahhh NO, on a single phase dynasty you use the black and the white wires, 3 phase you use the red. If you are using the red in single phase you will smoke the boost board and generally take out the mother board when the boost board craps out, and get absoutly zero warranty on it.
                      10-4 Pretty much what I was saying.
                      TS-
                      I KNOW it can be done. But most people hook up all 4 wires just as they sit and that is WRONG. You actually have to piggyback 2 of the MVP wires together to use the proper single phase input.
                      Still voiding the warranty.

A

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                        No what??? Are you speaking from experience or just guessing???

I've done it. It works fine. As far as voiding the warranty, if it's wired correctly with the MVP cord I don't see how that could happen. You could just as easily void the warranty wiring a standard plug incorrectly.

Comment

I have a thread somewhere on this board with pics on how its done

Comment

Originally posted by TS-Off-Road View Post
                            No what??? Are you speaking from experience or just guessing???

I've done it. It works fine. As far as voiding the warranty, if it's wired correctly with the MVP cord I don't see how that could happen. You could just as easily void the warranty wiring a standard plug incorrectly.
                            Hmmm, I'm a Miller CST tech, I've seen it before, and no warranty for the fella or firm that did it. I've seen lots of wierd stuff that customers have done to thier machines and expect warranty on. These guys I either tell that they have to pay for the repair or send them on there way...
                            Last edited by cruizer; 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I changed the power cord that came with my Dynasty 200
                              to a 10/3 cable. So there is nothing attached to L3, and if the need comes-up for three phase I'll put the 12/4 back on it. There's nothing wrong with this right?
                              Dynasty 200 DX runner
                              Sync 350 LX
                              XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
                              Hobart 135
                              ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Working...
                              X