Input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input needed

I was wondering what everyone here thought would be the better route to go. I have my TB 302 and was wondering if it would be better to get the High Frequency Box for TIG welding, or get another separate TIG machine and just plug into the TB outlet. I would think that the HF box would be nice for out in the field(and would have more output/duty cycle), but if I want to TIG something at home in the garage or something it would be nice to not have to run the TB. I know the price is something to think about, but would you guys think it would be more worth it to get a Dynasty or something for versatility in field/shop or just go with the HF box?
    sigpic
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Wouldn't you be better off with a spoolgun?

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Wouldn't you be better off with a spoolgun?
      Spoolguns are great but have you ever TRIED tigging with one???

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

HA, Ha, Most guys around here simply rig up with the spoolgun and 302. as apposed to tigging with the machine, for ease and simplicity.

Lfit arc won't work with AC, I suppose the frequency would be just too erratic and you wouldn't be able to maintain an arc.
        Last edited by cruizer; 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I have a Trailblazer 251 and a miller high frequency box, it works and will weld aluminum fine, however I just bought a Dynasty 200dx and it takes aluminum welding to a whole new level and it will do light gage material. There are many more adjustments that can be made to the arc to tailor it to your particular job. It was not cheap though, the frequency box on the Trailblazer would be cheaper but not as versatile, just depends on what you want to do..............

mike sr
          mike sr

Comment

I have been told that HF isnt needed if the frequency is 400 cps as in shipboard, the fellow was in the Navy. I havent had the opportunity to try this personally.
            My Dynasty will go to 250 cycles and is squarewave so it may work.

I just tried it and it does work in lift arc, 250 cycles 80% cleaning 30 amps on .030 tube sharpened tungsten, with a balled end it wouldnt start.

It does work, I dont know how well, I think HF would work better.....

mike sr
            mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by reggie
              will lift work on aluminum?

A little research and no, the arc won't be substainable without a HF box to stabilize it.

Comment

I knew I didn't need one for the regular DC welding with TIG, but it was just the idea of wanting to do aluminum sometimes. I don't encounter it much since I quit my last job, it was literally all aluminum. (And after workin there for two years after I was done with school, got pretty good at TIGgin light guage aluminum http://www.pviramps.com/ I guess there was some stainless). But I was just wonderin which people thought would be better.

Thanks for all the input guys and hope you all had a happy easter!
                sigpic
                Miller Trailblazer 302
                Smith Torch Outfit
                Lots of Grinders
                O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

I have used both and there isn't really much comparison.
                  You can carry the Dynasty into wherever and plug in and weld.
                  You cannot do that very easy with a Trailblazer.
                  Besides that once the word gets out that you can do a NICE job on aluminum you will be doing a good bit more ....esp if you do a bit more promoting
                  The 251-D will do great welds on aluminum if you are a great aluminum weldor.
                  The Dynasty will put you in more places with less effort and cost to use once you pay for it initially. That Trailblazer doesn't run for free.
                  My Dynasty has comepletly retired my freekbox and I seldom use the Bobcat to power it either.
                  Running on any voltage becomes much more handy than you might think.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

In reguards to you not using your HF box anymore, would you want to sell it; and if so, how much would you want to have out of it?
                    sigpic
                    Miller Trailblazer 302
                    Smith Torch Outfit
                    Lots of Grinders
                    O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

the HF box sounds like a cheaper way to go. but what are you doing to do if you need to tig some thing that you can't drive close enough to?????
                      some times you need the versatility. say you spend the money for the HF box then wish you just spent a little more to have the dynasty. i couldn't do a lot if the job a do without it.
                      and if I'm doing 1/4 or bigger alum i use the 30A.
                      TB 325
                      TB 302
                      dynasty 200sd
                      spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                      suitcase x-treme 12vs
                      miller 211
                      evolution rage 2

Comment

Working...
                      X