Miller Digital Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Digital Elite

I just bought a miller digital elite welding helmet and i was wondering how the thing is gonna work for me when it gets cold,it fell to about -20 where im live. My trailblazer stayed true and fired up when whenever i needed her, i was just hoping the helmet is gonna do the same. Thanks

Dang, I feel your pain, used to live in AK and welded out of a service truck during the pipeline at -50 and you had to hold your breath just to keep the inside cover plate from freezing, doubt any digital would work!

On a little different subject,
    I have the new digital elite and I have been trying my darndest to use my 1.5 cheater glass with it in my shop and today I finally got tired of having to preheat my darn hood! I got a prescription set of strong reading glasses and use them instead of the cheater.
    I love the hood however!! sensitivity is great and very comfortable for Tig work at the bench!

Tim
    sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Comment

Originally posted by fng656 View Post
      I just bought a miller digital elite welding helmet and i was wondering how the thing is gonna work for me when it gets cold,it fell to about -20 where im live. My trailblazer stayed true and fired up when whenever i needed her, i was just hoping the helmet is gonna do the same. Thanks
      I don't believe any hoods are rated to deal with those temperature extremes so it's advisable to keep a no AD hood in your collection. Honestly you should always have a standard non AD hood anyway.I have a Speedglas add a Miller gold non AD by the way.

Comment

Spoiled myself

Thanks for your input guys, I do have both. I started out on a fixed shade hood but i think the plain and simple fact is that i spoiled myself. I probably should make it a point to spend a few hours a week under a fixed shade hood to make sure its not too weird when i have to use one i guess. I love my digital elite but im noticing alot of pipe welding use the speedglas hoods.

Comment

My Jackson Boss is only rated to 24 farenheit. Jackson makes a model it calls the Arctic, but that is only rated to -10 or so. Your owner's manual will give you the temp range for your hood.

For fogging problems, try the anti-fog wipes that skiers use for their goggles.

Comment

At a few degrees below freezing I would put away the AD hood for outside work and just use the fixed shade.

The digital elite is a real nice hood with a great quality lense, the optical quality is as good as or maybe slightly better than my speedglass, but, the speedglas hoods are tough as nails which is probably why you are seeing them out in the field a lot. I like my digital elite too much to take it outside and have it see a rough life, its strictly an indoor cat
            hre

Comment

I also have a old Jackson (LOVED IS SO MUCH I HAD MY SON NAME HIS FIRST BORN AFTER THE MANUFACTURE???(hard hat tabs) and a several other relics from the past life, (dang they are heavy) compared to the new ones. I have a simple speed-glass that hangs on my Mig machine (don't use my elite for mig) as with my old eyes the scratches and smoke on the cover lenses really mess with my focus.

The main problem with fogging I have is when a cheater is clipped inside the hood as there is a gap between the inside cover lens and the magnifier and even if I use "anti-fog" the condensation forms on the cover lens and when it dissipates it leaves a film that is magnified by the lens and you have to stop and clean it off!! (that is why I finally have said the heck with it and will just keep getting stronger "reading glasses for use when I am "Tig" welding, The mig is typically a much bigger puddle and I can see it. (hard to get old) especially when I OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T PROTECT MY EYES as well as I should have?

TIM
              Chaplain CMA chapter 26
              Hypertherm PM-45
              Miller 140 mig 110v
              Vtwin builder

Comment

On my Miller XLi, it continually fogged between the inside cover lense and the AD unit. I had to preheat it constantly. Done the same water droplet thing. I finally said the heck with it and threw the inside cover away and haven't used for over a year.
                I works WAY WAY better!!. As for worrying about keeping it protected...I couldn't care less. I was worthless as it was because I was basically so sick of that I was done with it.
                The AD unit seems to be glass and cleans up just fine. I do not have time to screw around with that kind of stuff when somebody actually wants to spend money in this economy. If it quits I'll just buy another one

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

FK,

Ditto! I really liked being able to use my Bifocals and the cheater but wasn't worth it, as I would be half way through a bead and breathe and next thing I knew I was looking through a fog!!

I might just do as you did and get rid of the inner cover lens? I hate using those strong readers as I can't even see to reach for another filler rod with those darn things on!

Sure wish I wasn't so dumb when younger!!

Tim
                  Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                  Hypertherm PM-45
                  Miller 140 mig 110v
                  Vtwin builder

Comment

Working...
                  X