stellite overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stellite overlay

Anyone have solid experiance with stellite overlay?? specifically on stainless using GTAW..... any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated..Quaz

Originally posted by QuazI View Post
    Anyone have solid experiance with stellite overlay?? specifically on stainless using GTAW..... any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated..Quaz
    I've probably welded a couple thousand pounds of that stuff.Shop I use to work in rebuilt feeder and discharge valves for a papermill. We'd clad the o.d. of the rotor and the I.d. of the housing. We built several new housings from scratch and before the stellite went on we'd clad with stainless. In this application the stellite always had cracks in it but it didn't matter. I always preheated a minimum of 300 degrees F up to 600 degrees F and wrap the piece in Cerwool so it would cool slowly.Had to keep heat on it til it was completely welded. Mostly ran 3/16" and we'd patch small places with 1/8" . Sometimes we'd use stellite #6 other times #12. I normally ran anywhere from 200 to 300 amps. Due to the high cost of stellite when I got to the end of a rod I'd let the rod stay in the puddle then fuse my next rod onto the last and keep on trucking. The stuff is so hard we had to machine it with a grinder mounted on a lathe , no tooling would handle the interupted cuts.It's expensive stuff, 10 years ago it was over $50 a pound.All this was Tig welded.Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Comment

The stellite family of fillers is very diverse. Try www.stellite.com these guys make the stuff and can give you some great input.

Basically as noted before your going to have a pretty good preheat and post weld treatment and keep it hot while your running it. If you going for low dillution then you'll have to find a way to pull power out of your arc.

Comment

again thanks guys!!! my stellite seems to be workin out pretty good...although, we recently had a job that was stainless with stellite overlay.......it cracjed and there wasnt a good way for me to do it....even though the cracks didn't matter the custom was not pleased, so doom on me.....and advice to prevent ctacking??lol i've been studying up, pretty wicked stuff....thanks again guys!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X