Cerium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerium

Gday! I am a professional welder and have been using my Miller Synchrowave 350 for years. So, I have always used two types of Tungsten for welding, thoriated and zirconiated. I notice Cerium Tungstens....What are these for?
    Kind Regards,
    Mark
    Mark Koennecke
    K and A Engineering
    Adelaide, South Australia
    www.kandaengineering.com.au
    stores.ebay.com.au/K-and-A-Engineering

Link

Here is a link right from the Miller site. Hope it is what you are looking for.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education...rticles83.html

Here is one from ArcZone

http://www.arc-zone.com/pdf/SelectingTungsten.pdf

Jerry in Anchorage

Comment

For the transformer machine you have your using about the best. The ceriated and lanthanated are predominantly used for Inverter welding machines. Zirk and thoria are the main stays for your machine but the ceriated has grown in favor due to thoria being a radioactive material and people are becoming more aware of carcinagins in their lives and its links to cancer.

Hope this helps some,
      Paul

Comment

That is some good info Jerry, thanks fort posting those links........

mike sr
        mike sr

Comment

Ceriated tungstens light off easier than thoriated. But they can't take quite as much heat as thoriated. That is the trade off.

Real good for extremely thin stuff.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

I'm a big fan of 2% lanthanated as it holds its point well even on the high end of its weld amperage.
            it is becoming more and more common to see transformer users going to lanthanated and cerated to take advantage of the new tungsten options. miller had a few wright-ups about it a wile back in one of there bloogs. Diamond ground will send you a catalog on the different tungsten options and there benefits if you e-mail them and i suspect they have a link to a download of it on there site.
            one of the large advantages is the ability to point the tungsten to stabilize the arc. as well as using less amps for the same heat. you should order a few and give them a try, it wont hurt your welder and you may find you really like it. just don't try to ball them.

try it ya might like it.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Yeah, so I dropped into my supplier on the way to work this morning and got a couple of ceraited and lanthanated to try. Have got some 0.8mm Cr-Mo jobs to get done - might try the lanthanated on that!
              Mark Koennecke
              K and A Engineering

Comment

col, keep us posted

cool, let us know how ya like them. if you got 2% you will find the cerated will ball on the tip just a bit. sharpen to a point then take the tip off leaving a small flat spot.

happy welding.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

I use GOLD (1 1/2% lanthanated) for everything. My LWS stocks it for me and I buy it faithfully

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I buy 2% ceriated in 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8" but that is all!!!! Easier that way!

Comment

supposedly, they compare cerium and lanthanated to each other, and having very similar traits to them. I personally use the 1.5% Lanthanated, which is GOLD color banded. both are very well choices.

Comment

I use the gold on my syncrowave 350 for everything and am very pleased with them.
                        It holds a sharp point for thin stainless and makes a small ball for thin aluminum.
                        I use a 3/32 on aluminum up to 1/8 but it tends to boil the tip if I try to push it up to 1/4.
                        Hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Seaman View Post
                          For the transformer machine you have your using about the best. The ceriated and lanthanated are predominantly used for Inverter welding machines. Zirk and thoria are the main stays for your machine but the ceriated has grown in favor due to thoria being a radioactive material and people are becoming more aware of carcinagins in their lives and its links to cancer.

Hope this helps some,
                          Paul
                          I don't agree with the above statement. If the OP had a sine-wave transformer machine, then you would be correct. But he said he has a Sync 350.

Ceriated and Lanthanated are just newer technology than the old zirc and thoriated stuff. They aren't just for inverters ;they both work just fine in a Sync, and work better than Zirconated or Thoriated. I have a Sync 350, and I use the 1.5% Lanthanated for most everything now, except sometimes I use Ceriated for thin stuff, as it starts easier. I haven't used Thoriated in a long time, and probably won't ever again.
                          Syncrowave 350
                          Coolmate 3
                          Millermatic 135
                          Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

Yep, I did try ceriated on some light stuff today and really noticed the easier start up. Thanks for the heads up on this! And also...sorry for the bum steer but I got my machine wrong, it's a Synchro 351.
                            Last edited by mkoennecke; 04-09-2009, 06:22 AM.
                            Mark Koennecke
                            K and A Engineering

Comment

FWIW: i started out using 1.5% lanthanated until a friend sent me a few sticks of 2%. the 2% gives the same feel as the 1.5% but holds up to the heat better. if you like the ball end with AC the 1.5 is fine, but if you want to keep the flat try some 2%. works great at both ends of the power span.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

Working...
                              X