inverter/transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inverter/transformer?

As you know I just got this dynasty machine and am coming from a transformer.

Right now I have no experience with the inverter and have explored it to know what it's capable of and not capable of.

From what I read everyone loves the inverters.

So here's the question: why does miller still make the transformer machines?

I mean they're "huge", take up space, etc... I know the sync 200 may be cheaper than the dynasty to get into but isn't that what the diversion is for?

why would someone buy a synchrowave 250/350 instead of the dynasty's (besides money differences.)
    Ben Fox
    www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com

Miller Dynasty 300 SD
    Millermatic 130
    MillerMatic 252
    Jet Lathe
    Jet Mill
    Rottler SG7 seat and guide machine

as i understand it the DC arc is nicer on a transformer. i think the transformers will take more abuse and have a better duty cycle. also $ to amp you get a lot more with a transformer.

i don't think you can compare a syncro200 to a div.165.

in short if it fits your needs get it.

yes we all want a dyn, but cant all aford it.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Comment

Inverters make a crazy noise like they are about to explode. I guess it sounds like a "cornered electric armadillo" got inside. That's something normal that you have to get used to.

Now if transformer welder makes a crazy noise like that, it probably does has an armadillo that crawled into it.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
      Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
      "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
      "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
      "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

hey speak for your own inverters, mine are silent.
        yes i have it turned on.
        just as not all transformers are created equal, so to it goes with inverters.
        the dyn. line dose squeal like its getting raped by a high frequency bat,( on AC) buy my TA-185 is nice and quiet.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

James crank the pulse up to 500pps and see if that machine makes noise.

Hummmm
          Paul

Comment

All around the inverters are better.
            They have much smoother DC and more versatile and adjustable AC.
            Transformer machines make DC through a rectifier at 120 times/sec. The inverters make DC about 60-100 thousand times/sec and is much smoother all the way down to 1 amp. The transformer machines have a hard time keeping the DC smooth at low amps and normally 10-30 amps are normal bottom end expectations.
            The transformer output AC is fixed at 60HZ since that is the freq of the input power it's connected to and can not be adjusted. The AC output in the inverters are fully adjustable because they make the AC artificially and not tied to the input AC power supply. This allows the output freq to be adjusted independently. The higher the output frequency, the tighter the weld arc will be. Lowering the freq will widen or flatten the arc and penetrate less.
            The transformer machines can draw as much as double the input power needed to weld and the weight is at least 5 times higher too.
            The cost to make the transformer machines is still less and therefore costs less to purchase. The inverters cost way less to operate because they are much more efficient.
            There are still people that demand the transformer arc. That is what is comfortable to them.
            It's kind of like car manufacturers. They make a lot of models to suit different people's needs or likes. We try to make machines for every market.
            In a perfect world, we would only make inverters and car makers would only make 40 mpg cars....

Andy

Comment

i think it only goes up to 250pps but i suppose i could give it a try. i thought it was AC that made it scream ?? i have run mine from about 40 HZ to over 100HZ with no noise.
              next time i fire it up I'll check out the pulse, i don't usually use pulse so it might be a screamer after all ??
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              JAMES

Comment

Take this with a grain of salt.
                The coolest thing about an inverter is using high frequency AC and pointed tungsten. You can use pointed tungsten because the inverter is actually using DC voltage to generate and artificial ac sine wave. This is also why you have so much adjustment when it come to the ac side. Balance, wave form, Hz can all be manipulated due to DC being used to generate AC
                Last edited by kcstott; 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM.
                Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                South bend lathe 10LX40
                K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                Auto shades are for rookies
                www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                  hey speak for your own inverters, mine are silent.
                  yes i have it turned on.
                  just as not all transformers are created equal, so to it goes with inverters.
                  the dyn. line dose squeal like its getting raped by a high frequency bat,( on AC) buy my TA-185 is nice and quiet.
                  I hear some of the Chi-Com machines are awful quiet also. D O A
                  Charlie

Comment

inverter good.

no its not DOA !!
                    no question the inverters have a great deal to offer over the transformers. a big + for us home shop guys is the power draw requirements. no way i could have TIG at home if i had to power a transformer. even the econotig takes 50 amps i just don't have the power to feed one. my TA-185 and the DYN 200's run on 30amps or less, the DYN will even run on a 15 amp 120V circuit!! thats some thing you wont see any time soon with a transformer.
                    the adjust-ability of the arc is also amazing. got some thin stuff you want to open up the arc for a nice soft weld, drop the HZ down to 30-40, need to keep it sharp and focused to get max heat, crank that baby up into the 120 range, or more if ya need. the focused arc also lets ya get more bang for the amp. its just all good................except for the $$$ that is.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

It is all about the MONEY. No two ways about it.
                      Syncrowaves are Cheaper than comparable inverters.
                      Miller needs to SELL welders.
                      People have to decide if it is going to ROI if going with an inverter.

Me on the other hand ....I just like 'em cause they're BLUE and I am addicted to the whining sound as well

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

All this talk has me wanting to go pat my fat boxy lumbering old Syncro 250 and tell it its OK, I will keep it regardless...
                        Weekend wannab racer with some welders.

Comment

All this talk has me wanting to go pat my fat boxy lumbering old Syncro 250 and tell it its OK, I will keep it regardless...

i can only hope my inverter will last as long. give her a pat for me too.
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

Saw

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
                            All around the inverters are better.
                            They have much smoother DC and more versatile and adjustable AC.
                            Transformer machines make DC through a rectifier at 120 times/sec. The inverters make DC about 60-100 thousand times/sec and is much smoother all the way down to 1 amp. The transformer machines have a hard time keeping the DC smooth at low amps and normally 10-30 amps are normal bottom end expectations.
                            The transformer output AC is fixed at 60HZ since that is the freq of the input power it's connected to and can not be adjusted. The AC output in the inverters are fully adjustable because they make the AC artificially and not tied to the input AC power supply. This allows the output freq to be adjusted independently. The higher the output frequency, the tighter the weld arc will be. Lowering the freq will widen or flatten the arc and penetrate less.
                            The transformer machines can draw as much as double the input power needed to weld and the weight is at least 5 times higher too.
                            The cost to make the transformer machines is still less and therefore costs less to purchase. The inverters cost way less to operate because they are much more efficient.
                            There are still people that demand the transformer arc. That is what is comfortable to them.
                            It's kind of like car manufacturers. They make a lot of models to suit different people's needs or likes. We try to make machines for every market.
                            In a perfect world, we would only make inverters and car makers would only make 40 mpg cars....

Andy
                            Andy: How about the big sub-arc machines, they inverter or transformer?

Dave
                            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Sorry D, missed your question.
                              Our big sub-arcs are still transformer based.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X