X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crawdaddy
    started a topic Bandsaw

Bandsaw

Anyone know of a good metal bandsaw,that doesnt take up too much space? will be used once a month or so but still want decent quality hoping to stay under $500 hundred range if possible.Is vertical or horizontal better for hobby use?Ive never used one so I dont have a clue.Mike

• tramtra
    replied
    Bandsaw Help

Hi everyone,

Not sure if i am posting this in the right place, but here goes, i want to buy a cheap bandsaw and have seen the following model : Sealey Professional 200Mm Bandsaw 240V Model No: SM1303. for a reasonable price.

Has anyone ever bought one of these and are they any good ?

Leave a comment:

• Joe from N.Y.
    replied
    Originally posted by Larwyn View Post
    There is no doubt that the HF H/V bandsaw produces less than perfectly square cuts. However I have had little trouble getting close enough for welding purposes. If you need machine shop quality of cut, then you need machine shop quality machines. For the money, even with mods, I think my little HF bandsaw is an asset to my shop. With it I can make cuts quietly on Sunday mornings (not disturbing the neighbors, with out all the sparks and dust, and the parts are always cool enough to pick up immediately after the cut as long as I use the coolant pump.

[ATTACH]17782[/ATTACH]
    Interesting photo. Could you tell us what some of the mods are? how do you collect the coolant?

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    CYWTFM,
    thanks you! and yes, and you're AWSOME

Leave a comment:

• Can You Weld This For Me?
    replied
    Originally posted by Bert View Post
    CYWTFM, maybe my eyes, but from those 2 pics, I still didn't see how it was mounted! Thank you for posting though
    bert
    Sorry to keep reposting this huge pic, but I edited the one below so you could see the mounting holes. There are two 10-24 or smaller screws that normally hold a blade guide/rest onto the saw. If you remove it you have a nice flat surface to put the plate up against. I only use these two holes, the one in the pic I believe has three. I'd have to look at my saw, but the third one may have been tapped by the owner into the saw housing. Take a look and you will see the countersunk screw heads:

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    CYWTFM, maybe my eyes, but from those 2 pics, I still didn't see how it was mounted! Thank you for posting though
    bert

Leave a comment:

• Can You Weld This For Me?
    replied
    Originally posted by Bert View Post
    CYWTFM: there....why did you have to come up with such a long name to type!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, how are THOSE portaband saws mounted????
    Very cool...........
    bert
    Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
    I too think the table stand is great,How is the saw attached to the stand? Mike
    Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
    i really like that vertical saw mount. very good idea
    Hey guys, I definitely don't want to take credit for someone else's work. The one in the pic is not mine. Here's a link that tells about them:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=323369

I have a similar set up, but not quite as nice as this. I use mine free hand 99.9% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• crawdaddy
    replied
    I too think the table stand is great,How is the saw attached to the stand? Mike

Leave a comment:

• welderdude402
    replied
    i really like that vertical saw mount. very good idea

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Originally posted by Can You Weld This For Me? View Post
    Milwaukee also makes a stand for their porta band making it like a chop saw. I bought one when I got the saw new, never used it, ended up giving it away for next to nothing. Now they are nearly as much as the saw. There are some interesting homebuilt porta band stands that folks have made. Once you use a porta band and get use to handling it, you will be hooked.

CYWTFM: there....why did you have to come up with such a long name to type!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, how are THOSE portaband saws mounted????
    Very cool...........
    bert

Leave a comment:

• nikodell
    replied
    Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
    If they were physically different, I could tell from the photos. However, if you can tell that they are psychically different, you must be one of Dionne Warwick's "friends."
    Motor casings look different is all I am saying, also if you look at online manuals. I was thinking of getting on of these too but I have my doubts with the ability to actually set it up to cut a true 90 in the blade plane. Seems you can only true them through force on the blade which is not the correct way to get this done as it will ware guide bearings and shorten the life of the blade.

Yha bad unchecked auto spell checker.
    Last edited by nikodell; 04-05-2009, 09:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Larwyn
    replied
    Kracker,

The coolant system in the pic came from Harbor Freight also (now discontinued). The pump itself did not last very long and I am now using a Little Giant pond pump but still using the same resivoir and plumbing from HF.

Leave a comment:

• Bodybagger
    replied
    Originally posted by nikodell View Post
    Could be but they are psychically different in the photos.
    If they were physically different, I could tell from the photos. However, if you can tell that they are psychically different, you must be one of Dionne Warwick's "friends."

Leave a comment:

• Larwyn
    replied
    Broccoli,

If you check the pic of my bandsaw above, you will notice that I have used your tip of using the vice grip style drill press clamp on the saw. That's a great idea that works out really well for cutting small parts at odd angles (or square for that matter. I still do use the original vise at times but the dp clamp sees a lot of use. Thanks for a great hint!!!

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
    IOW you can tell by looking they are not the same motors. Even tho jet is probably the only one telling the truth about HP
    Went over yer head

Leave a comment:

Working...
X