MAG Drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAG Drill

Hello & good morning to all . . . . OK, I got up late . . .

I'm needing input on who makes the best MAG drill for my purpose.

Reason I need it amongst other tools . . .

I am a hobby welder & tinkerer.

I will soon be facing unemployment in my field.

I am trying to "tool up" for metal & woodworking prior to then. The wife & I plan to start doing craft shows in the coming years. One of my planned purchases is a Hypertherm Plasma cutter. I really want a CNC Plasma table, but cannot afford to spend $10,000 to $15,000 for one. So, I will build my own.I have determined that the only way to drill perfectly square holes in heavy long pieces of square tube would be a MAG drill after watching other table builders do the same.

The reason for the long lead in is I know with so much knowledge here the more I tell you guys as to what I am doing the more info I will end up with, kinda like the guy that says "he has a simple electrical" question on here . . . And then the info comes in volumes. Is there a better way to drill and tap dozens & dozens of holes in a 8' long piece of 4X4 3/16" square tube in exactly the right spot . . . . Typically the the bolts will be under 1/2". . .
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Originally posted by Wacko Welder View Post
    Is there a better way to drill and tap dozens & dozens of holes in a 8' long piece of 4X4 3/16" square tube in exactly the right spot . . . . Typically the the bolts will be under 1/2". . .
    I don't think you'd realize a significant gain in productivity with a mag drill. You should get a small drill press that will go down to 400RPM and set it right on the floor and scoot your section of HSS on wood blocks (or preferably rollers) set to the height of the drill press table. This will be a LOT LOT LOT cheaper - as in less than 1 tenth of the cost. If you think it's easier bringing the tool to the work, think of this:

*The Mag drill is not much lighter than the steel you are drilling! At 9.42lb per foot for HSS4x4x3/16, a 8' piece will weigh 75lb. A small Milwaukee mag drill is 57lb for the 4204 and the weight goes up from there depending on model. You could get a dinky lightweight version, but I think you might regret that more. You can slide the steel if you use a drill press but you have to carry the mag drill from hole to hole. Also, when you mount it on such a slender member, it must be clamped because the mag drill is top heavy and it will flip over if it gets loose.

If you were drilling holes in wide flange beams or large HSS, it would make sense. But for your application, it is a huge waste of money.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

It's a toss up between Hougen and Milwaukee. The hougen is more durable but the bits are rather expensive.

Comment

JM-101 slugger by jancey

Weighs less then 22lbs and can drill up 1-3/8" 2"thick.Also can run regular drill bits.Had mine 10 years never failed.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by admweld; 04-04-2009, 12:20 PM.
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Thank you . . .

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
          I don't think you'd realize a significant gain in productivity with a mag drill. You should get a small drill press that will go down to 400RPM and set it right on the floor and scoot your section of HSS on wood blocks (or preferably rollers) set to the height of the drill press table. This will be a LOT LOT LOT cheaper - as in less than 1 tenth of the cost. If you think it's easier bringing the tool to the work, think of this:

*The Mag drill is not much lighter than the steel you are drilling! At 9.42lb per foot for HSS4x4x3/16, a 8' piece will weigh 75lb. A small Milwaukee mag drill is 57lb for the 4204 and the weight goes up from there depending on model. You could get a dinky lightweight version, but I think you might regret that more. You can slide the steel if you use a drill press but you have to carry the mag drill from hole to hole. Also, when you mount it on such a slender member, it must be clamped because the mag drill is top heavy and it will flip over if it gets loose.

If you were drilling holes in wide flange beams or large HSS, it would make sense. But for your application, it is a huge waste of money.

Thank you very much . . . I have a large 20" DELTA Drill Press in my little shop, but I could not come up with a way to support pieces that long & heavy . . . I priced the smallest Milwaukee, it was almost $1000.00 ! ! !

Heck, thats half the price of the plasma cutter I'm drooling for . . .
          Millermatic 251
          Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

When I worked for Motion Master Inc (CNC routers) We laid out the hole pattern with a tape measure, Center punched them all, drilled, countersunk and taped all holes buy hand with a hand drill.
            You're going to spend how much on a mag base drill to drill 3/16 tube????
            You can zip through 3/16 with a hand drill in no time.
            Mag base drill are not cheep and for this application I don't think you need any thing bigger then a drill press and some roller stands.
            Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
            Millermatic 252 on the wish list
            Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
            South bend lathe 10LX40
            K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
            Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
            A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
            Auto shades are for rookies
            www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Another reason not to go with a mag drill for this application; you say that bolts will be less than 1/2". The smallest annular cutter you can use with mag drills is 1/2". Also, the holding power of the magnet decreases significantly on 3/16.

If and when you go with a mag drill, I would highly recommend the Jancy Slugger for under $700. As mentioned by admin, it also has an adapter (expensive) that allows it to use regular drill bits.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeswelding View Post
                Another reason not to go with a mag drill for this application; you say that bolts will be less than 1/2". The smallest annular cutter you can use with mag drills is 1/2". Also, the holding power of the magnet decreases significantly on 3/16.

If and when you go with a mag drill, I would highly recommend the Jancy Slugger for under $700. As mentioned by admin, it also has an adapter (expensive) that allows it to use regular drill bits.
                7/16" to be exact is the smallest i have in annualar cutter.
                BB402D
                TB300D
                DIMENSION652
                MM250X
                MAXSTAR140
                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Thanks . . .

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
                  When I worked for Motion Master Inc (CNC routers) We laid out the hole pattern with a tape measure, Center punched them all, drilled, countersunk and taped all holes buy hand with a hand drill.
                  You're going to spend how much on a mag base drill to drill 3/16 tube????
                  You can zip through 3/16 with a hand drill in no time.
                  Mag base drill are not cheep and for this application I don't think you need any thing bigger then a drill press and some roller stands.
                  Thank you . . . I may be over thinking this project . . . Just never undertook building something this "complex" with a material bill that will may hit $5,000.00 plus . . . .that would be a mighty expensive junk pile to look at for a while . . . .

I'm neither a machinist or welder . . . I can draw . . . I have built a few pieces of commercial cooking/concession equipment . .. ie... 25# peanut roasters . . .

I love this group, it's like having a hundred of the smartest friends in the world and they don't borrow your tools or drink your beer . . .

Thanks,
                  Steve
                  Last edited by Wacko Welder; 04-04-2009, 02:04 PM.
                  Millermatic 251
                  Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

this is cheap enough

http://cgi.ebay.com/EVOLUTION-BORA-2...3286.m20.l1116
                    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
                    Diversion 180
                    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
                    Portable Victor O/A
                    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
                    14" Evolution Dry Saw
                    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
                    Speedglas 9100x
                    My Brain

Comment

Thank you . . . I may be over thinking this project . . . Just never undertook building something this "complex" with a material bill that will may hit $5,000.00 plus . . . .that would be a mighty expensive junk pile to look at for a while . . . .

I'm neither a machinist or welder . . . I can draw . . . I have built a few pieces of commercial cooking/concession equipment . .. ie... 25# peanut roasters . . .

I love this group, it's like having a hundred of the smartest friends in the world and they don't borrow your tools or drink your beer . . .

Thanks,
                      Steve
                      Steve if your not a welder you may want to rethink this idea.I don,t want to seem like i,m discouraging you, but thats alot of steel/$$ your dealing with.Good luck.
                      BB402D
                      TB300D
                      DIMENSION652
                      MM250X
                      MAXSTAR140
                      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

I have a milwaukee, but it is over $1100. If the evolution is well built that would be a good deal however I have my doubts.

Peace,
                        Paul

Comment

I'm not . . . .

Originally posted by admweld View Post
                          Steve if your not a welder you may want to rethink this idea.I don,t want to seem like i,m discouraging you, but thats alot of steel/$$ your dealing with.Good luck.

I'm not a professional welder . . . I have taken welding classes recently & have a MM251 . . .

I have had good luck welding heavy gauge tube stock in the past . . .

Thanks
                          Steve
                          Millermatic 251
                          Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Comment

I think it was the Jancy mag "holemaker" at work, and that thing was the BOMB Wish I could buy one right now, but not much use for it, it was just too cool

But I gotta agree with Bodybagger, KCStott and the rest!!!! I got a Hpertherm G3 1000, glad I bought it. But it was bucks! If you can get by, check out the inverter Hypertherm (powermax 30) they got. Less than 1/2 the price and it can do up to 1/2" thick (severance). I like mine, everynow and then I need it to cut 1" thick, but if you don't need one so big, don't waste your money
                            I'm not late...
                            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Hello & good morning to all . . . . OK, I got up late . . .

I'm needing input on who makes the best MAG drill for my purpose.

Reason I need it amongst other tools . . .

I am a hobby welder & tinkerer.

I will soon be facing unemployment in my field.

I am trying to "tool up" for metal & woodworking prior to then. The wife & I plan to start doing craft shows in the coming years. One of my planned purchases is a Hypertherm Plasma cutter. I really want a CNC Plasma table, but cannot afford to spend $10,000 to $15,000 for one. So, I will build my own.I have determined that the only way to drill perfectly square holes in heavy long pieces of square tube would be a MAG drill after watching other table builders do the same.

The reason for the long lead in is I know with so much knowledge here the more I tell you guys as to what I am doing the more info I will end up with, kinda like the guy that says "he has a simple electrical" question on here . . . And then the info comes in volumes. Is there a better way to drill and tap dozens & dozens of holes in a 8' long piece of 4X4 3/16" square tube in exactly the right spot . . . . Typically the the bolts will be under 1/2". . .
                              I just read the post. How are you going to drill square holes or was that a mistake? Also you mentioned tapping 3/16" tubes. You don't get a lot of thread out of 3/16. Is this for the CNC plasma table?
                              Nick
                              Miller 252 Mig
                              Miller Cricket XL
                              Millermatic 150 Mig
                              Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                              2-O/A outfits
                              Jet Lathe and Mill
                              Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                              DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                              Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                              20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                              Propane Forge