Can I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I?

I'd really like to upgrade from my air cooled torch to a water cooled on my Synchrowave 200. I'm pretty sure it's doable, but I'm not sure how, any input?
    Thanks in advance!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Oh boy....

Ummmm......

Unhook air cooled torch from power and shielding gas, and set to the side.

Hook up liquid cooled torch to power and shielding gas.

Hook up torch coolant lines to coolant reservoir.

Plug cooler into 110V.

Turn coolant pump "On"
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
      I'd really like to upgrade from my air cooled torch to a water cooled on my Synchrowave 200. I'm pretty sure it's doable, but I'm not sure how, any input?
      Thanks in advance!
      Give yourself a LITTLE credit
      Scroll to the top of the page and click on "products"
      You make it sound like when you bought your house the welder came with it!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

"H2O Waveforms"

Thanks in advance!
        1.) Water-cooled TIG torch (all new collets, bodies, nozzles)
        2.) Water-cooled TIG torch adapter
        3.) TIG torch water-cooler ystem (Coolmate 1)
        4.) Case of TIG/MIG torch coolant
        5.) TIG torch cable cover (to keep things looking nice)

Oh, forgot to mention, all of this may total around $1000

The machine's duty cycle is rated @ 40% 150 amps. It's doable, but just wondering if you'd be better buying another new toy, instead

You can do what you want, but seriously, by the time you reach the machine's duty cycle, you've got to lay the torch down to cool, anyway.

Dave
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Dave's right.
          Given the duty cycle the torch will not get hot enough to be a problem.
          That said I upgraded to a water cooled torch BUT I got the cooler and torch for $100 All I had to do was get the adapter. $70 at the LWS. So it was easy for me. If buying this stuff new. I think I would upgrade the machine first.
          I plan on getting a Syncrowave 250 in the future so now All I need is the machine.
          Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
          Millermatic 252 on the wish list
          Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
          South bend lathe 10LX40
          K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
          Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
          A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
          Auto shades are for rookies
          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Thanks for the sarcasm!

The product book that came with the welder DID NOT list a water cooler as an accessory, but I did see it listed on the web site. I was really hoping for a torch recommendation, and perhaps some suggestions on what to use for a pump. Not about to spend $550.00 for the one Miller sells considering the simplicity of a pump set-up.

Guess I came to the wrong place looking for help.
            Miller Syncrowave 200
            Homemade Water Cooler
            130XP MIG
            Spectrum 375
            60 year old Logan Lathe

Comment

My inputs

I joined this thread a bit late. Don't get down on the entire group. I have been on the group for about 6-8 months, & have seen lots of sarcasm & sometimes downright rudeness from a few members. Still, If you are able to dig through it all, you will likely find some really good information. Here is a cut & paste portion to a friend on the group (private messages) about what seems to be your line of interest. ------------

I am still practicing-infrequently-on Al. I built my own cooler and bought a CK LfexLoc 9 size torch. I went with the superflex hose--SWEET hose. I like the torch, too. It is extremely flexible (both the hose & torch). I got the 25 footer. I also got a leather cover. The hose is over $100--good to take care of it.

I tried a cut & paste about my homemade cooler, but the pics didn't work.

Do a message search for "Looking to build a TIG cooler". My reply is the 4th one & there are a couple of pics. Lots of bird poo on the Al welding. I hope I'm a bit better, now.--------

Here is a link that I found helpful. The first one about connecting the TIG torch is what I used. Worked great.

http://www.ckworldwide.com/technical.htm

There is lots of good stuff on the CK site. I really like the FlexLoc torch.

Good luck on your quest.

Jerry in Anchorage
              (Only 3 more weeks till spring--Volcano not withstanding)

Comment

Jerry in Anchorage
                (Only 3 more weeks till spring--Volcano not withstanding)

what happens there on march 20th ????
                TB 325
                TB 302
                dynasty 200sd
                spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                suitcase x-treme 12vs
                miller 211
                evolution rage 2

Comment

Johnny Horton Song

Remember the old Johnny Horton song about "when it's springtime in Alaska it's 40 below"? It still applies.

Seriously, here in Anchorage (the Banana Belt, more or less) I usually can count on all the snow being gone from my yard by the 3rd week of April. Sometimes there is still a bit remaining from the snowplows, but usually gone by then. That (in addition to the first batch of mosquitos), to me, signifies the arrival of Spring.
                  The ground will not be digable till later in May, & usually plants can be placed on the porch/deck on Memorial Day weekend.

Jerry in Anchorage
                  The Volcano has been quite for a few days

Comment

Thanks for the sarcasm!

The product book that came with the welder DID NOT list a water cooler as an accessory, but I did see it listed on the web site. I was really hoping for a torch recommendation, and perhaps some suggestions on what to use for a pump. Not about to spend $550.00 for the one Miller sells considering the simplicity of a pump set-up.

Guess you should ask for what it is you want?

"I'd really like to upgrade from my air cooled torch to a water cooled on my Synchrowave 200. I'm pretty sure it's doable, but I'm not sure how, any input?
                    Thanks in advance!

Don't see any mention of budget or questions about torch recommendations?

We don't read minds till the 15 of the month and then only between the hours of 11:59 pm and 12:00am (but only on the third Thursday of the month)
                    Last edited by FATFAB; 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I think you'd be better off finding a decent cooler on ebay. Building one is fine I just think you may spend more time futsen with it then anything.
                      Either way they have all the parts you need on ebay.
                      You need a pump, motor, fan, radiator, tank, and some hose. The pump is a low volume low pressure type. The torch manual will actually tell you what you need for cooling volume. at least mine did.
                      As for a torch a 20 series is what I run with a gas lens and anything from 3/32 to .040 tungsten. I'd just try to find stuff used and piece it together.
                      South bend lathe 10LX40
                      www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's doable, but I'm not sure how, any input?Thanks in advance!
                        Thanks for the sarcasm!

So... Just what EXACTLY has your panties in a twist???

You asked a direct question, I answered it - Plain and simple. No More, No Less.

You want a more detailed answer? Ask a more detailed question...

Some People's Kids.....
                        Later,
                        Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

Here's a couple other options:

Buy Used:

When I upgraded from my Syncro 180SD to my Syncro 350, I went water cooled. I bought a used Coolmate 3, like new, on Craigslist for $250. Then I bought a like new #20 torch on eBay with connector block for $50. (I also bought a #18 torch, but I like the #20 much better & I rarely weld over 250 amps) So you could get into a setup for $300 bucks or so.

Use "city water":

Lots of guys don't even use a cooler. They just plumb from a faucet into the water line, and the outlet to a drain. Super simple and cheap. Pick up a used water cooled torch on eBay for $50, a connector block, and a bunch of fittings from Home Depot and you are good to go for less than $75.

Oh, and by the way, you will be much happier with a water cooled torch. I always hated the "warm creep" I had with my #17 torch with the 180SD. (kept getting hotter over time) Plus the #20 torch is the same small size as the #9 air-cooled torch; much easier to handle. A much smaller torch that stays cool. You won't go back to air-cooled once you try a water-cooled torch....
                          Last edited by Jeffw5555; 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM.
                          Syncrowave 350
                          Coolmate 3
                          Millermatic 135
                          Victor OxyAcetlyene rig

Comment

My Bad

Guess I should apologize for not being articulate enough, of course you are not mind readers!

muskt: Thanks for the link!
                            kcstott: Thanks for the info on the adapter, got one on order!
                            Miller Syncrowave 200
                            Homemade Water Cooler
                            130XP MIG
                            Spectrum 375
                            60 year old Logan Lathe

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
                              So... Just what EXACTLY has your panties in a twist???

You asked a direct question, I answered it - Plain and simple. No More, No Less.

You want a more detailed answer? Ask a more detailed question...

Some People's Kids.....
                              It's the typed word again. It's inability to express emotion draws on the emotion of the reader and therefore the statement is misunderstood.
                              South bend lathe 10LX40
                              www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X