Miller 350 synchro High Frequency Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 350 synchro High Frequency Question

The start high frequency has failed on my unit. The continuous high freq works fine. The relay can be heard operating. Has anyone encountered this problem and or offer a possible remedy. Thanks in advance!

Dingus

I need a serial#

Comment

Thank you for your response. serial number is KC205184

Comment

Bad CR1 control relay, if you open the top cover, look down left hand side just after the front pnel you'll see 3 stacked relays, its the first one. It may just be stuck so if you lightly whack it with the end of a screw driver it may free up, other wise you'll have to replace it.

Comment

A good tap with a piece of 4140 got her going. Thank you again!

Comment

[email protected]ZER!!!!!!!! you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            I'm not late...
            I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Yep, I pretty much do tech support all day, on all brands. I have this site on my big 42" screen that refreshes every couple minutes. A little research and I usually come up with the answer, keeps the brain ticking away.

Now my shop is stacked high with welding reels. Time for a road trip next week....

Comment

I hope you guys don't mind me BTT'ing this thread

I'm sorry to bring up an old thread but it best fits what I have going on, and it came up in a search of the site.

My Syncrowave 350 has no *start* function. I can *scratch start* an arc only.

The serial number is KA7541xx.

Is the CR1 the only possibilty here? I ask because it is a $200 part, and I would like to research other possible problems and rule them out, if there may be any.

Thank you very much,

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                  Yep, I pretty much do tech support all day, on all brands. I have this site on my big 42" screen that refreshes every couple minutes. A little research and I usually come up with the answer, keeps the brain ticking away.

Now my shop is stacked high with welding reels. Time for a road trip next week....
                  Yes good work cruizer!!! Wow.

Comment

I'm sorry to bring up an old thread but it best fits what I have going on, and it came up in a search of the site.

My Syncrowave 350 has no *start* function. I can *scratch start* an arc only.

Its a RELAY, so about a $12 part.... Where do you guys come up with this stuff??

Comment

This one is not a $12 part.

Miller part number 052 251.

Comment

Never had one up and fail, contacts get sticky once in a while, give it a twack and off it goes. Cheapest once I can find is $65 bucks, so made a whoopsee on the actual price.

Comment

I took the cover off this relay, and the contacts look great. Before I took the cover off I followed the advice I read on this site and gave it a few taps with the handle of a screwdriver.

Do you mind me asking where you found one for $65? You can PM it to me.

I tell you what, this has been a really good machine. I bought it new 20 years ago, and this is the first time it has gone down. I did have one of the potentiometer wires in the foot pedal break about two years ago, but I found it right away and fixed it.

Thanks,

Greg

Comment

Do you have HF in continous, or no HF at all?

Comment

When I scratch start an arc I can hear the HF going. It really talks to me on this machine. Always has.

I pulled the cover off the relay, and held the contacts close to one another so that when the coil was energized it would pull the contacts together. (When the case is taken off the contacts spring outward too far for the coil to pull them back.)

When I hit the pedal the coil does not energize and close the contacts.

When I manually close the contacts (I had gloves on) and hit the pedal at the same time the start amperage does not try to start an arc then either.

Thanks for talking to me and trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X