trailer coupler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MMW View Post
    Looks good. I can see that being overloaded very quickly.
    well the parts I put used are all overkill the only thing I'm not sure about is the 6'' I-beam
    but just as soon as I get the sides on it I'm going to fill with sand an see what it will do

Comment

I built a 4X8 dump that has an empty weight over 1k, it will hold 2.1yds. The axle is from a trailer home cut down and still has the trailer home 10ply tires. I only use it around the house, it works real well.

Comment

glh

Very good,April Fools

Comment

The manufacturer designs the hitch for say 10,000lb with 4 - 5/8" bolts. If you install it using the bolts as they designed it, they would stand behind it's full rating. If you weld it, it opens too big of a can of worms for them to want anything to do with it. You maybe an excellent world class welder and could make the hitch stronger than bolts. But BillyJimBob I just got a welder last week welder may put 4 big globs in the bolt holes and call er' good enough. If I know my welding abilities, I would weld it. But you are probably better off just bolting it because in about 6 months your brother-in-law will "borrow" your trailer and jackknife it into the bumper. At least this way when he brings it back (in the dark), you can just pull the bolts and slap a new hitch on without laying on your back with a torch dripping hot slag in your ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Can You Weld This For Me? View Post
            The manufacturer designs the hitch for say 10,000lb with 4 - 5/8" bolts. If you install it using the bolts as they designed it, they would stand behind it's full rating. If you weld it, it opens too big of a can of worms for them to want anything to do with it. You maybe an excellent world class welder and could make the hitch stronger than bolts. But BillyJimBob I just got a welder last week welder may put 4 big globs in the bolt holes and call er' good enough. If I know my welding abilities, I would weld it. But you are probably better off just bolting it because in about 6 months your brother-in-law will "borrow" your trailer and jackknife it into the bumper. At least this way when he brings it back (in the dark), you can just pull the bolts and slap a new hitch on without laying on your back with a torch dripping hot slag in your ears.
            ya sounds like my luck 4-sure lol. but i never let anyone borrow stuff like that (it dont pay too anyways)
            thank for the info and i will post more pics after i get it done
            thanks guys

Comment

my welder buddy and i just fixed a car trailer and had to straighten the 2 5/16 coupler and we welded it onto a peice of hitch insert tubing for length and its good to go, i agree the warning is for backyard dudes that think 6011 is the only rod in the world lol aka farmers

Comment

I've built many trailers and always welded on my couplers, if you trust in your abilities weld it
                Trailblazer 302G
                MM 210 with spool gun
                Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
                Smith torches
                Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
                griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Comment

Originally posted by rigamatorboy View Post
                  ...i agree the warning is for backyard dudes that think 6011 is the only rod in the world lol aka farmers
                  Did you mean 6013?

Comment

I have made a few log trailers that are pulled by highway trucks and all of them use King pins and you have to weld them on. So if bolting was so much better then why dont a trailer that pulls 50 tons bolt on insted of welding on.

Comment

Like it was said before...the coupler company is simply covering their asses.
                      Mainly not because of just bad welding.... but because they know that 90% of them are gonna get welded so thats 90% more lawsuits they get to pass the buck on.That gets them out of 90% of their liability!!

Actually I think that's pretty smart on their part.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

And in addition to that think about what all kinds of bad welded situations they may have been ruled liable for. Stuff like thin walled tubing with an undercutted weld all the way around, that actually makes a perforated line all the way around as well...waiting to be pulled apart!
                        One thing for sure in this day and age considering all the cheap welding machines out there could you imagine it saying "weld on only...do not bolt" ???
                        They would have to specify the tongue material and the process etc...

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                        X