Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Band saw blades for cutting stainless steel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw blades for cutting stainless steel?

Anyone ever found a good bimetal blade for a 80" band saw to cut through stainless steel?

lenox blades are pretty good. how thick of SS?
    sigpic
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Smith Torch Outfit
    Lots of Grinders
    Miller Elite Autodark Hood
    O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

http://www.countrysaw.com Toll Free: (888)-639-7297
      any blade you need...Bob
      Bob Wright

Comment

Ah thats awesome, they are in Salem, and I am in Akron, its about a 40 minute drive!

Thanks for the quick replies. I will call that place Monday when they open up.

I need to cut some schedule 10 304SS tubing to start making an exhaust manifold for a local friend.

Comment

Originally posted by widersturbo View Post
          Ah thats awesome, they are in Salem, and I am in Akron, its about a 40 minute drive!

Thanks for the quick replies. I will call that place Monday when they open up.

I need to cut some schedule 10 304SS tubing to start making an exhaust manifold for a local friend.
          Right up the road from Andrews Honda shop on Rt 62...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Well I called them up last week and ordered the blade they suggested. Put it on today and it doesnt do dirt, haha. It barely makes an imprint on the stainless tubing...any other suggestions?

Comment

I too would be interested to find a bandsaw blade that will cut stainless...I gave up trying to find somethingthat would work years ago and now use an abrasive wheel chop saw for SS tubing and pipe..

Comment

What kind of saw is it?

What are the feet per minute speeds?

What is the material thickness?

And lastly it must me a bi metal blade!!

also what tpi did yoiu buy?

Cutting stainless is not rocket science.

http://www.simonds.cc/mnu/mmenu.php?...nuMAlloySteels

Ronnie

Comment

And you put the blade on the right way right?
                  I cut miles of 3" and 4" SS pipe when i was welding flanges on them full time. Stainless needs to be cut slower and fed slower than steel. I still think there is a setup problem with how you are doing your cutting...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

That Simonds "SiClone" Blade looks like it might be the one.

Comment

I cut stainless pipe all day with porta band running a common 18 tooth blade
                      Millermatic 200
                      Miller Maxstar 150STL
                      Airco Heliwelder
                      Miller Syncrowave 250
                      Miller Bobcat 225
                      Miller 375
                      Miller Bluestar 185 DX

Comment

I have cut up to 6" solid round with a bandsaw using bi metal blades, I use a coolant setup and a slower speed than for steel, if its not hardened material it will cut it fine.

You may have the blade on backwards on your bandsaw as mentioned above.

use a good positive feed and plenty of coolant, if the blade runs on the material without enough pressure and doesnt cut, it will work harden and ruin the blade. The same goes for drilling.

mike sr
                        mike sr

Comment

I'm just posting this to boot it up to the top. I'd like to find out if he fixed the problem. I wondered if he used AAMETALMASTER'S suggestion, or if he did what the store told him. Also if his feedrate and blade position was right. I've never had problems using a bandsaw to cut my 1" 316 SS. I just hope he posts his findings........
                          bert
                          I'm not late...
                          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Okay sorry for the late update. I started a new job and things were kinda crazy for awhile...

Im using a two speed Craftsman band saw. I had the belt riding the slower speeds for cutting stainless. It still didnt do anything, barely left an imprint. Yes, it was installed correctly...it could only go on one way, haha.

So, I am going to call the company today and see what they have to offer to suggest something else. I dont think this blade was a bimetal blade.

I will post back in a few days when I get a new blade coming.

Comment

Thanks for the update! Why? 'Cause curious minds what to know!!!
                              What are you doing for the new job?
                              I'm not late...
                              I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Working...
                              X