Miller M25 mig gun conversion to Bernard Center Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller M25 mig gun conversion to Bernard Center Fire

I took Sundowner111 and others advice and ordered the parts to convert my M25 gun to use the Centerfire front end
    I purchased the following parts(as listed on the Bernard site)
    • #4323R insulator
    • #DS1 diffuser
    • Nozzle-flush and resessed type
    • .035 and .030 contacts

I received the parts and assembled them (leaving the black-Phenolic ring on the Miller neck and with everything tightened I noted there was a gap between the end of the insulator and the back of the nozzle? (so I called Bernard) and they informed me I needed and additional part (NOT LISTED IN THE CONVERSION CHART ON THEIR SITE)
    they sent me (1) #4780 Hexnut insulator (no diagram as to where it goes)

I received the parts yesterday and I am am not sure which part goes on the gun first??? (anyone else accomplished this conversion)?? It does look like the hexnut insulator goes on first with the narrow part toward the tip to nest inside the #4323R insulator, however if anyone knows positively it would appreciate a reply

I am hoping this thread will help someone else as well.

Thanks,
    sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

"Oh, Nuts"

Got my hex nut insulator in the mail yesterday, didn't get a chance to look at it yet, will try to figure it out. Seeing's how we're in the same time zone (we don't change here), you can always give Bernard a call, I think they open at 7:00 am CDT. I've been using the tips & nozzles for almost a year, and didn't know anything about this "unkown" part, until you checked into it. It was added to prevent accidental shock.

Okay, here's how I got it to fit: Place 4324R onto the tube (cone side down) and place the 4780 insulator into it (small end). Screw DS-1 diffuser into place, install tip, screw on nozzle. The extra insulator covers the DS-1 where it was exposed. I did not use the black ring that comes with the M-25, as this is for the Miller nozzle. If you get a chance, try some of the tappered tips and nozzles, they're great for pipe, or doing fillets.

See how this works for you.

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 03-27-2009, 12:48 PM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Dave,

Thanks, That is exactly how I assembled it, (just wanted to be sure, seeings how I had to order 'all' the parts) as the LWS's didn't have anything in stock.

I called Bernard this morning and they said it didn't matter either way.

I was going to order the tappered nozzles as they definetly would be nice for smaller stuff and especially fillets around tube.

Tim
      Chaplain CMA chapter 26
      Hypertherm PM-45
      Miller 140 mig 110v
      Vtwin builder

Comment

"Tips & Dip"

Hey Tim: You'll really like the Bernard Center Fire tips & nozzles. They will last a lot longer because you can turn them as they wear. You can really get into tight spots with the tappered nozzles, but they're a little harder to keep clean; nozzle dip really works.

If you plan on any flux-cored work, Bernard makes a kit (NS-FLX) consisiting of #7010046 Tip Holder and #7010024 Insulator for their "Q" series gun that will work as well.

I can interchange parts between my Q-300 (on the 8VS) and the M-25 (on the 212) so that made things more economical. (as well as the drive roll kits too)

When ever ordering parts, the "NS" series is what you want.

Liners will still be Miller, but it should be a while before you need one.

Keep us posted.

Dave
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Dave got it all together this morning and ran a few horizontal fillets and verticals on 1/4" coupons and for sure I think the gas coverage was better. I still need some practice on my Vert/up.
          Thanks for the help and the numbers for the F/E parts. (I will file them for future use!

Tim
          Chaplain CMA chapter 26
          Hypertherm PM-45
          Miller 140 mig 110v
          Vtwin builder

Comment

Here is my first horizontal Fillet with the Centerfire frontend on my M25 on 3/8 plate----still need some practice

Thanks,

Tim
            Attached Files
            Chaplain CMA chapter 26
            Hypertherm PM-45
            Miller 140 mig 110v
            Vtwin builder

Comment

Working...
            X