X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• migwelder05
    replied
    Originally posted by moto-scoot View Post
    I know its bad, but I have talked on my cell phone and listen to music (iPhone) when TIG welding, amazingly the high frequency from the welder does not kill the call or lock up the phone. Just make sure you have the wires to the ear phones under your jacket, or they could become entangled.
    i also listen to my Iphone while welding and have not had a problem. i just put the head phone wires in my jacket or down my shirt.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Works pretty good but the Sat dish on top is a little heavy

Leave a comment:

• WillietheWelder
    replied
    Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I put a 7" LCD inside my helmet so I could watch TV while welding
    where can i get that hood at.....my boss would hate me even more...LOL
    ________
    Dodge st. regis history
    Last edited by WillietheWelder; 02-28-2011, 06:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    I put a 7" LCD inside my helmet so I could watch TV while welding

Leave a comment:

• moto-scoot
    replied
    I know its bad, but I have talked on my cell phone and listen to music (iPhone) when TIG welding, amazingly the high frequency from the welder does not kill the call or lock up the phone. Just make sure you have the wires to the ear phones under your jacket, or they could become entangled.

Leave a comment:

• kbraby
    replied
    Originally posted by BRacutt View Post
    Sorta off topic but look up cell phone popcorn trick on youtube, If they can emit that kind of signal i'm sure they can absorb others. Kinda scary having one to my ear for half the day.
    I don't remember where I saw it, but that popcorn video is faked..

So far, I don't take any precautions with my phone, but then again, I'm only running a MM140, and have only gone through 12 Lbs of wire so far...

I will say though that just like different electronics have wildly different tollerance for electrostatic discharge before they get damaged, the same mechanisms probably apply here. Some brands and phones might be quite subject to damage, while others may be very robust.

Leave a comment:

• BRacutt
    replied
    Sorta off topic but look up cell phone popcorn trick on youtube, If they can emit that kind of signal i'm sure they can absorb others. Kinda scary having one to my ear for half the day.

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Not ME

I wear my cell phone everywhere except bed!
    I have my shop phone set for 2 rings and then it rolls over to the cell. I even where a Bluetooth earpiece and sometimes just hit it and keep on welding for a bit so they know I am actually working.
    No problems at all. I had my last phone for about 2 years and everybody in the family was using one of my old ones...I always get the good newer stuff
    My old freek box on the Bobcat did make my pager go off tho. It would also make phones ring when I welded over buried fiber-optic.
    I think it is crazy strange how one guy can get away with murder and others have several go bad from this ...untill I start trashing them I ain't changing nothing!!

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Frying Pan"

Hey Norm: Plus, with these Hi Freq units now days, that's got to be messing with the signals too. When I A/C TIG, and I've got the garage door cracked open for ventilation, it will open as soon as I hit the remote pedal!

I made a frame for a 6' x 8' welding curtain, just in case if anybody is looking in. I can roll it around to shield my arc.

Life was so simple, when all we had was an SA-200 and a torch

Dave

Leave a comment:

• nfinch86
    replied
    Cell Phone !!

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
    Could be. Unless you absolutely need it, can you leave it in your truck, answer messages during coffee or lunch breaks?

Just a thought.

Dave
    Dave;
    Hi, Ya I've had the same problem with my cell phone, keep frying the
    Ringer? I was told by a young guy, who knows these things better
    than me, Never Wear your cell phone while welding, you will Kill It !

So Far I've gone through two phones !!

No More Welding With Cell Phone On My Belt !!

.......... Norm

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    "Busy Signal"

Could be. Unless you absolutely need it, can you leave it in your truck, answer messages during coffee or lunch breaks?

Just a thought.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• turbo38t
    Guest replied
    I have an Iphone and leave it in my truck or toolbox. Too risky to damage. I check it when I go to my toolbox. Dave
    Originally posted by WillietheWelder View Post
    yep...the chubby fingers got me again!!!..98% of my work is stick...we have steel tables that we ground to and i wonder if the phone isnt in contact with them at times while im welding and that whats giving me the problems?

Leave a comment:

• WillietheWelder
    replied
    yep...the chubby fingers got me again!!!..98% of my work is stick...we have steel tables that we ground to and i wonder if the phone isnt in contact with them at times while im welding and that whats giving me the problems?
    ________
    Lamborghini 400gt monza specifications
    Last edited by WillietheWelder; 02-28-2011, 06:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• davedarragh
    replied
    I Know............

Just havin' a little fun.

Leave a comment:

• wrenchnride247
    replied
    Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
    What is a cell PHINE?
    Look's like another case of "fat fingered keyboarding" It happens to everyone...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X