Dynasty 200 dx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200 dx

I just purchased one, I am welding .020 mild steel stampings used for tuned exhaust systems for model boat engines.

I am experimenting with the pulse dc tig, It does OK but there are so many variables.
    I wonder if anyone has any experience or comments on the procedure, with this machine?

mike sr
    mike sr

I have made these and welded them before, what size engines are you building them for? I made a couple for .45 outrigger I had back 10 years ago (when I was in HS). I made mine from 321 stainless, and let me tell you something about that stainless made them WAY louder then aluminum tuned pipes. My .45 Picco power rigger was as loud or lounder then the 1.0 CMB that one of the other guys was running.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
      I just purchased one, I am welding .020 mild steel stampings used for tuned exhaust systems for model boat engines.

I am experimenting with the pulse dc tig, It does OK but there are so many variables.
      I wonder if anyone has any experience or comments on the procedure, with this machine?

mike sr
      Okay, say you want to weld at around 40 amps, set the main current at 80, the % on time at 50%, pulses per second (you can try different values) at 250, and background current at 20 amps. These are just numbers, try welding on test pieces, when you change a value try to change just one at a time, that way you'll learn quicker what the different settings do.

Also you can rest the torch cup on a scrap piece with the tungsten positioned to weld, then using the foot pedal give it full power and see what the amp reading is on the machine, this will tell you if maybe the background (or main)amps need to be adjusted up or down. I am not saying you should adjust the settings so that you would be welding at full pedal.
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

The pipes are for the Zenoah 260 26 cc gas engines, and they are loud but we use all internal stingers, measured like IMPBA says, they are around 90 db.
        I ran nitro engines in the late sixties to the mid seventies but I hadnt tried pipe making back then.

I understand the percentage thing somewhat, I am looking for a cosmetic bead with reasonable strength and as near as I can tell straight DC is somewhat better, I use .040 tungsten, gas lens setup, straight dc is set at 15 amps to make a pretty bead, on pulse 100 cycles 48 percent 35 amps it penetrates better and the tungsten point lasts longer but its not quite as cosmetic as the straight DC.
        I am going to try the .020 tungsten next to see if it works better as I think the current may be too low for the .040.
        I think I need more time to play with the machine.
        It welds beautifully on .030 aluminum, it is beautiful on tig ac.

Overall the machine does a beautiful job, its just that the operator needs more time on it ha!!

mike sr
        mike sr

Comment

I'm pretty sure you know this, but thought I'd post it anyway. You are changing the start parameters for the tungsten sizes right?
          Dynasty 200 DX runner
          Sync 350 LX
          XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
          Hobart 135
          ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

No I didnt change that, I know about it but I havent figured out how to change it yet. Good point...
            I get arc wander at low currents, I thought it was because the tungsten was too large for the job.
            I have only had the machine a few days so I am not familiar with it at all.
            I was trying to set the minimum current lower on ac but I couldnt get to the setup the way the manual said to do it, I just need to get more familiar with it and read the manual more.......... men dont ask for directions right ha!!!!

mike sr
            mike sr

Comment

Use some .035" mig wire for filler and it should be easy sailing.

Ronnie

Comment

Changing the tungsten size is easy. When you turn the machine on hold the process and amp button at the same time. In a few seconds it will show TUN .094 (this is the default size). To change the size, turn the encoder to desired size. When you got your selection, turn off machine. It is now set for that size until you repeat the steps above to change to another size tungsten. It will now have pre-set start parameters for that size tungsten. You will notice a difference in your arc starts.
                Dynasty 200 DX runner
                Sync 350 LX
                XMT 300 w/D74 and roughnecks
                Hobart 135
                ESAB PowerCut 875 plasma

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
                  Changing the tungsten size is easy. When you turn the machine on hold the process and amp button at the same time. In a few seconds it will show TUN .094 (this is the default size). To change the size, turn the encoder to desired size. When you got your selection, turn off machine. It is now set for that size until you repeat the steps above to change to another size tungsten. It will now have pre-set start parameters for that size tungsten. You will notice a difference in your arc starts.
                  Thank you sir, I just reread the manual and found it on the preceding page. I havent tried it yet to see what happens but I will later tonight.

This baby is going to keep this old guy busy for quite sometime.

mike sr
                  mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by Ronnie View Post
                    Use some .035" mig wire for filler and it should be easy sailing.

Ronnie
                    I am using .023 mig wire for filler when it is needed, I put it in the vise and spin it with an electric drill while pulling on it, takes the curl out of it.

mike sr
                    mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by engnerdan View Post
                      I have made these and welded them before, what size engines are you building them for? I made a couple for .45 outrigger I had back 10 years ago (when I was in HS). I made mine from 321 stainless, and let me tell you something about that stainless made them WAY louder then aluminum tuned pipes. My .45 Picco power rigger was as loud or lounder then the 1.0 CMB that one of the other guys was running.

-Dan
                      Dan,
                      My favorite boat is a rigger, I dont race anymore, just run for speed using a gps in the boat, it runs in the 80's about every weekend if we have decent water.......

mike sr
                      mike sr

Comment

Working...
                      X