Millermatic 140 or 211 help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 140 or 211 help please.

You chaps helped me choose a plasma cutter and I am very pleased with my purchase, thank you for your help.
    Now I have another problem that relates to a mig welding choice. Like my plasma cutter I want to be able to use 115 and or 220, my choices are either the Millermatic 140 Auto set or the new 211 Auto set. I am not wanting to weld anything with serious structural integrity but I do want to join thin material and stuff up to about 1/4 inch together.
    Looking at the wire feed speed on these two models the 140 is fed at 15 inches per minute and the 211 comes in at 60 inches per minute, this is a huge difference, now I have never used a Mig welder but the 211 feed speed, makes me think it will be like turning on a fire hose. I am more into Art welding, meaning joining material together rather than structural fusion. So I do not want a hammer to kill a fly.
    This weekend I used my Dynasty 200DX in stick mode to repair some garden furniture and even with 1/16 rod at 40 Amps, I was blowing holes in the metal, it was about a 1/16 inch thick but no way near 1/8 of an inch. If I had been using the Mig 211 to do the job, I am wondering If I would have done the same hole blowing. In other words I want something that will fuse thin metal together, for example if I wanted to weld myself a yard front gate out of 3/8 inch steel, I should be able to do the job with the 140 model and it would be strong enough to hold a child or adult who swings back and forth on it while on it's hinges, even though Miller says it will only weld up to 3/16 of an inch, this would be a 50% penetration of the metal in question and be rather strong.
    Am I right or wrong.
    Cheers,
    James.

On 110v mode the MM211 IS a 140...so get it if you can swing it and it would be like buying 2 welders at the same time

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I was going to buy a MM211.... then I got laid off f***ers.....
      Bobcat 225NT
      Cutmaster 52
      Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
      Caterpillar TH63
      '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

I think along the same line as Fusionking . More money now but will still do your small jobs nicely & should you have a bigger job can still handle it as well. Also the 140 is a little shy for your 3/8 project IMHO So either use the 211 in higher mode or go back to the stick for that job.
        252 Miller Mig
        180 Synchrowave
        R - 45 Milling Machine
        Kingston 1100 Lathe
        Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

For example if I wanted to weld myself a yard front gate out of 3/8 inch steel, I should be able to do the job with the 140 model and it would be strong enough to hold a child or adult who swings back and forth on it while on it's hinges, even though Miller says it will only weld up to 3/16 of an inch, this would be a 50% penetration of the metal in question and be rather strong.
          Am I right or wrong?

Wrong. Part of the equation is weldment mass. The 140's have trouble with 1/4". Two different 135 owners have said they could not safely weld 1/4". Maybe small brackets, beveled joints and preheated on 1/4". No way 3/8". Save yourself future disappointment and get the 211.
          RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
          sigpic

Comment

Wire feed supply.

I now understand some of your feedback but why does this 211 model have such a high fee rate when compared to the 140 and 180 models. I am wondering if a small job would be ruined with all of that wire going in, in such a short space of time !!! 15 in for the 140, 50 in for the 180 and then 60 in for the 211. When turning it on for 115 V the 211 model is shooting out one **** of a lot of wire for the lower current, it is four times as much wire when using the same 115 v current as the 140 model.
            Am I missing something here, I would have thought that both models would operate in similar peramiters at the same operating voltage.
            Cheers again,
            James.

Comment

.023 solid wire low end is around 30 amps which translate roughly into around 100 IPM of wire being fed

.030 solid wire low end is around 40 amps which translates roughly into around 90 IPM of wire being fed

.035 solid wire low end is roughly 50 amps which translates roughly into 80 IPM of wire being fed.

The above are with C -25

Comment

I don't have a MIG, but I'm pretty sure the wire speed is infinitely adjustable from 0 to kick ***. Set it where you need it.
                RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmpgino View Post
                  Am I missing something here, I would have thought that both models would operate in similar peramiters at the same operating voltage.
                  Cheers again,
                  James.
                  You are missing the fact that you can set the wirespeed where you need it as well as the volts.

Buy the 211...it's a no brainer

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Craig is right on the wire speed being adjustable to match the volts.You should be able to weld 18 guage on the bottom end of adjustments & 3/8 very nicely by increasing both wire speed & volts.
                    252 Miller Mig
                    180 Synchrowave
                    R - 45 Milling Machine
                    Kingston 1100 Lathe
                    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

One more vote for the 211.

I was actually going to pick one of those up but I think I'll save some more money and go with a 12RC feeder that I can run off my portable. Then it gives me an excuse to find an XMT304 to run the feeder in the shop!!!
                      at home:
                      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                      2008 Suitcase 12RC
                      Spoolmatic 30A
                      WC-24
                      2009 Dynasty 200DX
                      2000 XMT 304
                      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                      Sold:MM130XP
                      Sold:MM 251
                      Sold:CST 280

at work:
                      Invision 350MP
                      Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

I was in the same boat as you when trying to figure out what to buy as my first welder. I took the advice of many and bought the MM 211. I played around with it on 110v and it works great on the thin stuff. I then moved it over to the 220v plug and am able to run nicely throughout the range of capabilities. I too read the specs on the 140.....15 IPM wire speed is really down there!....I'm wondering if it could be a miss print because as was stated, the 211 IS the MM 140 on the 110 voltage but gives you the extra power you'll need on 1/4" and thicker. It's nice to know that I'm not limited to hobby welding only. I know that as I improve my skills, the machine won't be the limitation of being able to handle a project with some heavier material requirements. I'm really happy with the MM 211 so far and glad I spent the extra for its 220v capability! Good luck with your decision.

Comment

Working...
                        X