3 phase? for Miller 330 A/BP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 phase? for Miller 330 A/BP

Picked up a 330 A/BP machine this week. The seller says it's wired for 3 phase. Is this correct?

I downloaded the manual from Millerweld but am not sure exactly how to wire it up. It looks like there only two locations for input wires, not three.

The loadcenter in the garage says 3 phase 4 wire 200 amp 240 V service. Opening it up shows 3 large 2/O wires and a ground (?) wire.

There's a LARGE Zinsco 3 pole 150amp circuit breaker leading to the house.

Do I just get another one of these Zinsco breakers and hardwire the power wires to the welder?

I've been gas welding on/off for 3 years and this is my first venture into TIG. I couldn't pass up this one for $500. Can't wait to get started but I know I better wire it correctly or else I might fry myself.

impossible.

The 330 ABP was a single phase only machine. If you look on the data plate it will tell you what voltages and phase. Make sure your machine is linked for the proper voltage before wiring it to your breaker. Your garage has single phase box. You will want to put a 100Amp breaker in the box for that machine.
    If in doubt, take a picture of the breaker box and post it. There are a lot of helpful people here that know primary power well.
    Welcome to the board.
    Have fun!
    Andy

Comment

Andy,

How you know his geerage is Single Phase?
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure it's a 330. The seller called it a Goldstar 460amp TIG welder. I'm picking up the welder tommorrow. Here's his pic of the front panel. I swear it looks exactly like the 330 A/BP. I even blew up the picture and the model number looks like 3?0A/BP. I figure he may not know the exact model of welder but he should know what power he has it hooked up to.

Here's the service panel. Thanks in advance for the help! The placque on the box says 3 phase, 4 wire, 200 amps, 240 Volts.

Last edited by jcw; 03-13-2009, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Ed,

If it's an AC/DC tig machine, it would be single phase since we didn't make any 3ph to single ph main transformers.
          He may be running 3 ph at the box but dropping a leg for single phase at the machine.

From the pics it sure looks like the 330 ABP. Which the 330 was a part of the Goldstar family.

Just double check the connection board and links inside the machine.

Looks like it's in good shape!

A-

Comment

Originally posted by jcw View Post
            Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure it's a 330. The seller called it a Goldstar 460amp TIG welder. I'm picking up the welder tommorrow. Here's his pic of the front panel. I swear it looks exactly like the 330 A/BP. I even blew up the picture and the model number looks like 3?0A/BP. I figure he may not know the exact model of welder but he should know what power he has it hooked up to.

Here's the service panel. Thanks in advance for the help! The placque on the box says 3 phase, 4 wire, 200 amps, 240 Volts.

That would be a 3 phase panel. How lucky you are.
            Opens up the options for you when you buy a machine.
            Wish I had that in my garage
            Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
            Millermatic 252 on the wish list
            Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
            South bend lathe 10LX40
            K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
            Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
            A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
            Auto shades are for rookies
            www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Thanks, it's nice but I looked up how much a 150 amp 3 pole breaker costs.$600!!!!

I picked up the welder. It's single phase 330 a/bp like I expected. With 3 phase supply can I hook it up 480V? Or just stick with 240V?

A 100 amp breaker should be OK, no? These are only $100. Sheesh!

I'll take a pic of the placque on the front of the service box.

Comment

That 600.00 is for a main Breaker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ITE-150-Amp-3-Ph...QQcmdZViewItem
                Ed Conley
                MM252
                MM211
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

as far as I know you only have 240v- even though it is 3-Phase Still 240v.
                  Ed Conley
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I have a 3-Phase panel too, may have some breakers, don't think I have a 100 amp CB.

I'll check Sunday when I go to work.

We had some 'lectric rewired and don't need the 3-phase panel. It fed a 50amp 6-50R, that is why I think I only have a 50amp CB.

Don't know if you can use any of it but it's free for shipping.

I also have some 4g Wire.
                    Ed Conley
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by jcw View Post
                      Thanks, it's nice but I looked up how much a 150 amp 3 pole breaker costs.$600!!!!

I picked up the welder. It's single phase 330 a/bp like I expected. With 3 phase supply can I hook it up 480V? Or just stick with 240V?

A 100 amp breaker should be OK, no? These are only $100. Sheesh!

I'll take a pic of the placque on the front of the service box.
                      Yeah but you only need a two pole breaker for 300 Volts or less
                      And Like Broccoli said 240 is 240.
                      3 phase does not make it 480. Although I would love to have 480 three phase at my house good luck getting that out of SDG&E

3 phase can be (at least in my area) 208, 240, or 480.
                      Last edited by kcstott; 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM.
                      South bend lathe 10LX40
                      www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

That's what I thought about the voltage. Thanks guys. It's 240V then.

I'll have to check- is it 240V to one leg and neutral or 240V between two legs? Sorry if the terminology is incorrect. I'm pretty positive it's the latter but I thought I remember seeing some diagrams that there was 240V in each wire. I'm probably wrong though.

Thanks for the breaker offer, that's very kind of you. I'll see what I need.

Are the circuit breakers different for different boxes? or is there a standard?

My box is Zinsco. I was looking at the Zinsco type Q or QC I think.

Comment

My uglys manual shows only one configuration for 3 phase 250 volt system and Yes I realize you said 240 But in the world of the NEC it 125 and 250.
                          So you should see 240 or 250 volts across any two legs. My manual doesn't show phase to ground voltage.
                          Last edited by kcstott; 03-14-2009, 06:06 PM.
                          South bend lathe 10LX40
                          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Just spent about half the day cleaning the machine. It must have had 50 pounds of grinding dust in it. I'm not kidding. I've never seen so much. I had to wear a respirator mask to do it. Should have worn eye mask as well.

Well here's a pic of it. I'm almost done cleaning...

Any recommendations on cleaning or checking before I bolt it back up. The previous owner said that it occasionally would trip the breaker and he though it was the contacts. He didn't specify what contacts though...

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
                              My uglys manual shows only one configuration for 3 phase 250 volt system and Yes I realize you said 240 But in the world of the NEC it 125 and 250.
                              So you should see 240 or 250 volts across any two legs. My manual doesn't show phase to ground voltage.
                              Since he's in the midwest, (and it looks to be a pretty old setup) it very well could be 240V delta, which is 240V between the legs, 120V to neutral for 2 legs and the 3rd is 177V to neutral...
                              Bobcat 225NT
                              Cutmaster 52
                              Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
                              Caterpillar TH63
                              '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Working...
                              X