Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with welding stainless

Just curious of how many amps I should expect to use when welding some
    1.5" schedule10 stainless steel fittings? I will be using a 3/32 tungsten and 6 or 8 cup as well.

Thanks for any tips!!

Do you have any scrap pieces you can try welding on and if so, have you??? That's the best way IMHO to figger out exactly where your amp settings need to be. You can always fall back on the 1 amp per .001" of material thickness but that doesn't always equate to all situations.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by widersturbo View Post
      Just curious of how many amps I should expect to use when welding some
      1.5" schedule10 stainless steel fittings? I will be using a 3/32 tungsten and 6 or 8 cup as well.

Thanks for any tips!!
      Assuming your welding these to code so that means full penetration with a purge. You should be able to do this below 100 amps, it would be best to setup some test pieces though. An exact amperage is kind of fuzzy because each weld can differ. I have seen with fittings they can vary more than the pipe on the thickness, so you'll need some range while welding.

Richard
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

I would use some practice pieces first like Richard said and start about 85-90 amps, then make adjustments from there.

Comment

Well I found a couple of spare 1.5" sch10 304ss fittings laying around, and used about 90 amps with a 3/32 2% thoriated tungsten, and 308/308L 1/16" filler rod. I lightly polished the fittings before welding with a wire wheel, welds look pretty good....however, what is the trick to getting the nice gold and blue'ish welds? Mine are grey in color but the penetration is gold colored....?

Thanks for any advice!

Comment

Originally posted by widersturbo View Post
            Well I found a couple of spare 1.5" sch10 304ss fittings laying around, and used about 90 amps with a 3/32 2% thoriated tungsten, and 308/308L 1/16" filler rod. I lightly polished the fittings before welding with a wire wheel, welds look pretty good....however, what is the trick to getting the nice gold and blue'ish welds? Mine are grey in color but the penetration is gold colored....?

Thanks for any advice!
            Post pics. If the welds are grey then you may have too much heat. Stainless takes almost 30% less heat than that of mild steel. You might also need to move faster as well. Here is some stainless I did. Notice these are small welds too.
            T.J.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
            HTP MIG 240
            HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
            South Bend Lathe
            Etc. Etc....
            tjsperformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by TJS View Post
              Post pics. If the welds are grey then you may have too much heat. Stainless takes almost 30% less heat than that of mild steel. You might also need to move faster as well. Here is some stainless I did. Notice these are small welds too.
              T.J.

That's the KEY to stainless welds Less Heat and Faster movements.
              You can't dilly dally around welding stainless.
              Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
              Millermatic 252 on the wish list
              Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
              South bend lathe 10LX40
              K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
              Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
              A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
              Auto shades are for rookies
              www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I was moving pretty quickly and not dilling around, haha!

How much argon should I be flowing out of the regulator?

Comment

This is what a stainless weld SHOULD look like.
                  Attached Files
                  Dynasty 350DX
                  Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                  MM 350P
                  MM Passport Plus
                  Spectrum 375 Extreme
                  08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Here are a couple of pics, used with a couple different amp settings ranging from 80-100 amps. I am using a brass 80grit wire wheel to polish the stainless before welding, but its still not 'polished' .. anything else I can use to brighten up the polish on the stainless as well? So, back to the main question though, why are welds grey and not nice and gold/blue.

Comment

removing oxide from ss welds

to get those nice shiny looking welds i use a ss tooth brush, finish your weld count to 30 and brush, this removes the oxides which discolor the welds , very thin material brush as soon as possible, also pickling paste ( acid gell) works wonders, my ss welding is all for food equipment all welds must be bright and clean, this works well for me, just make sure to use a ss brush , carbon steel brush will cause rust in minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
                        This is what a stainless weld SHOULD look like.
                        Awesome looking welds. Wished mine looked that good.
                        South bend lathe 10LX40
                        www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Well, I posted some pictures but they are not showing for whatever reason...

I tried different amp settings ranging from 75-100 amps and I am still getting the dull grey finished weld, even on a polished piece of stainless. Am I using the wrong filler rod or tungsten? 308/308L filler rod with a red 3/32 tungsten and a #6 cup.

What the F am I doing wrong here, haha.

Comment

Weld it like you can get it done fast enough. Seriously just go friggin fast, as fast as you can with as little heat as needed to get good flow.
                            Stainless is a strange one to get use to.
                            South bend lathe 10LX40
                            www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Did you see those pictures on page 1 of this thread I posted?

I was moving quickly, penetration looks good, but still not the nice colored welds...would 309 filler work better for stainless? A local guy told me he uses 309 to join mild steel to stainless and he said he uses 309 for all stainless purposes anyway and his welds are nice and gold and blue looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X