Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just starting and have a question. Horizontal weld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just starting and have a question. Horizontal weld?

I just bought a miller 180 with autoset "have not used the autoset yet". I bought it so that I could do minor projects on my jeep and figured that I would like to learn to weld anyway. I have been practicing welding on flat plate mostly but am finding that even if I can do well on the flat plate, once I go to any other position i start having serious problems. I'll try to tackle them one at a time.

Working on the jeep I will run in to this situation constantly. I am trying to weld horizontally on a wall "hope that makes sense". My problem is gravity and lack of knowledge when it comes to controlling the bead. My puddle just seems to want to run down hill and I end up with a weld that looks sort of like a waterfall or lava running down the side of a cliff. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to properly weld in this situation? I can do a pretty good job welding vertically up a wall but horizontal is killing me.

Turn it up and move faster.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

when placing the weld point your arc in an upward angle. pushing the puddle back into position with the pressure of the arc. go at whatever speed is needed to let the crater fill and not leave any undercut. just remember your work angle will not be the same as a flat position weld. It does not need to be at 90deg with a horizontal.

Comment

It even gets a little hairier that what ive explained above. I am trying to weld along an edge that has an over hang. The material on the bottom is 1/8 and the material on the top is 1/4. How would you tackle this situation? I am posting a picture of what the along view would look like. My puddle runs over the material that is overhanging. I tried to speed up but my hand isnt coordinated enough to move that fast yet.

Last edited by neurosis; 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Can you bevel the 1/4" piece?
          Attached Files
          Ed Conley
          MM252
          MM211
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I probably could have but I had already welded them on. There were only two of them but the trouble I had with them sparked my question here. They are just skid plates and nothing super important but I would have liked to have done a better job on them. I have several more projects like this in the future. My thinking is that If I could have got this upside down I would have had a much easier time welding it. Even horizontally. I didnt goober it up enough that I couldnt grind it off and re-weld it later once ive gained more experience with this sort of application. I need a class or something.

I had a hard time moving and maneuvering as fast as I needed to get a thin weld and it seemed like the wire was shooting out faster than I could keep up with.
            Last edited by neurosis; 03-09-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by neurosis View Post
              I probably could have but I had already welded them on. There were only two of them but the trouble I had with them sparked my question here. They are just skid plates and nothing super important but I would have liked to have done a better job on them. I have several more projects like this in the future. My thinking is that If I could have got this upside down I would have had a much easier time welding it. Even horizontally. I didnt goober it up enough that I couldnt grind it off and re-weld it later once ive gained more experience with this sort of application. I need a class or something.

I had a hard time moving and maneuvering as fast as I needed to get a thin weld and it seemed like the wire was shooting out faster than I could keep up with.
              Grinding it off and redoing it is Free education
              Ed Conley
              MM252
              MM211
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                Grinding it off and redoing it is Free education

I second that
                "If you will not, then you can not.."

Comment

Three things Practice practice practice.
                  I can teach you all you will ever need to know about welding in one day.
                  Honing your skills will take longer.

Go get some scrap and practice.
                  Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                  Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                  Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                  South bend lathe 10LX40
                  K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                  Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                  A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                  Auto shades are for rookies
                  www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Practicing is great. But it's hard to practice if you don't have a full, or partial understanding of what you are doing. You Can practice for 20 years and say your a welder, but if you still run down hills on trailer tow-points that 20 years of practice was pointless(two of the guys at my work are like this). You must understand and know how welding works before you can properly practice. IMO

Comment

Neurosis,

Jeep80CJ7 said it best, Unless you know what to practice you are going to be unsatisfied with the results of your practice.

You are on the right track by asking questions on this board and then taking that to the shop and "practicing" the suggested information. Many of us learned some processes by OTJ and then added to that some classroom knowledge and lots of reading!

The Internet and computer "search" skill will make the bookwork much easier and can save you some time. Miller and other equipment manufactures have greate resourcdes as well. If you commit your time to reading, watching others and then practicing, the application of your practice into your own projects will be truly rewarding!

I would encourage you to post your Practice coupons and description of what you are attempting with details for positive critique. (Stay humble and enjoy!

Tim
                      sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
                      AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
                      Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                      Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
                      MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
                      Hypertherm PM-45
                      Miller 140 mig 110v
                      Vtwin builder

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post

I've never heard it said better!

Comment

"One Day Wonder"

Originally posted by kcstott View Post

So much for the Hobart Institute
                          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

[QUOTE=neurosis;181387] They are just skid plates and nothing super important but I would have liked to have done a better job on them.

you'll probably get the opportunity to do it again.

If you remember back when you watched Forest Gump when he ran across the U.S. a couple of times, he had not end point, no goal in mind. He didn't know what success would look like when he saw it so he ran until he was just tired of running. He accomplished nothing, but still the minions followed-crazy.

What I am trying to say is akin to what these other guys have said. Find what success looks like and then practice until you get it.

If you are welding 1/8" to 1/4" then worry about the thinner part. You can get a great weld for the thicker part but the thinner one will be gone. For 1/8" material and you don't say how you did it and I can't see the pics. But I would be running either a 0.030 or 0.035 wire with a high argon mix above 80% and a wire speed of between 200 and 300 depending on the wire your using and assuming your laying on your back welding overhead and probably vertical down. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you need too much power.

Comment

Working...
                            X