Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrifying workplace practices

I thought this might be a topic.

There is a recent topic entitled "Propane tank/valve freezing?" which put me in mind of this. I know a roofer who uses propane to torch off old roofing and put down new material. He said he solves freezing issues . . . with the torch.

Fortune favors the bold, I guess.

And?
    Warming a tank is common enough, you do need a little common sense
    Jeff

Comment

I always experience the propane bottle freezing and it's worse when the temps. really drop. The flame lose's all pressure and I've experienced the liquid propane squirting out like a flamethrower. The first experience was the worst but that's another story. But what I wanted to ask is, if those car battery warming sock/blanket would be ok to use on a 20lb propane bottle. We use them here on our vehicle battery, but I dont know if they would get too hot on a propane bottle. Or is it just an unsafe work practice?.

Comment

I remember when I was a kid and watching the local farmers standing around while a weed fire was burning in and around the area of a large propane tank. I had visions of a primetime TV inferno taking us all. They didn't seem at all concerned by it even when the tank would occasionally vent a plume of propane out the top from the pressure release valve. Like J Hall says, use a little common sense and everything will be fine.
        Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
        Miller DialArc 250
        Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
        Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
        Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
        Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
        South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
        Logan 7" shaper
        Ellis 3000 band saw
        Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
        Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
        3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
        Lots of dust bunnies
        Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

I've had that problem too many times to count and a bit of gentle heat from the tiger torch would help it out. On the first truck I had a better setup because the two propane bottles were placed behind the air output of the welder, and this would help warm them a bit. Propane is pretty tame as far as flammable gases go.
          hre

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
            I always experience the propane bottle freezing and it's worse when the temps. really drop. The flame lose's all pressure and I've experienced the liquid propane squirting out like a flamethrower. The first experience was the worst but that's another story. But what I wanted to ask is, if those car battery warming sock/blanket would be ok to use on a 20lb propane bottle. We use them here on our vehicle battery, but I dont know if they would get too hot on a propane bottle. Or is it just an unsafe work practice?.
            Bob, they make blankets for 20lbers, my LWS has them or can get them, but they were a little steep for my liking, IIRC they were around $200ea. If I were going to be working where you work though I'd probably get them.
            hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
              Bob, they make blankets for 20lbers, my LWS has them or can get them, but they were a little steep for my liking, IIRC they were around $200ea. If I were going to be working where you work though I'd probably get them.
              I wonder if an electric nitrous bottle heater would work... I think they are cheaper then that...
              Voigt Precision Welding, Inc.

Miller Dynasty 200 DX, Miller Syncrowave 250, MillerMatic 252, Hypertherm Powermax 45, Auto Arc Trailpower 8000,272+187 lb Peter Wright anvil, 120 lb Fisher-norris, and more! Buffalo drill press, Grizzly Horiz. Bandsaw, Edwards shear, Barth Shear, bantam mechanical ironworker, Hopkins fly press, Doall Bandsaw, brown and sharpe surface grinder.

2007 Silverado 2500HD (tow vehicle)
              2000 Camaro SS (Race car)
              sigpic

Comment

We used to use an electric strap heater to heat water for morter in the winter when I worked for a mason for a bit. Probably too hot to use direct, but on a small drunm of water it would work just fine. You could get the water temps up well avbove 100F easily in below freezing temps on a 55gal drum as long as you let it sit fro a while.

I see those on CL from time to time relatively cheap. We used to put the propane tanks in warm water on camping trips in the winter to keep them running.

Comment

Gee there are so many where do I start
                  DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                  PIPEPRO 304
                  TO MANY TOOLS
                  JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                  rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                  and easily upset
                  go flames go

Comment

On the subject of terrifying workplace practices, I worked for a guy once that had built a log splitter with a cylinder, pump and motor so large that it often broke itself. He had made the oil reservoir out of some large, thin wall rectangle tubing and welded it directly to the base behind the cylinder. One time he was trying to split a particularly knotty, twisted piece of wood and it ripped the eyes off that were welded to the beam anchoring the rear of the cylinder. The cylinder hit the tank and ripped it half off. I walk up and he's got the cutting torch out attempting to wash out the rest of the welds holding the tank on the base. I warned him what would happen if he pierced the tank with the pure oxygen from the torch. He sort of blew me off and told me he wouldn't. I finally convinced him to at least take the cap (a pipe cap screwed onto a pipe nipple welded to the tank) off the tank. He went back to cutting. I was nervous enough that I went around to the other side of the shop. As I was walking away he jokingly yelled out, "If you see a pair of pants fly by, catch 'em, because I'll be in them!" As soon as I got around the back of the shop I heard this deafening fog horn sounding blast. I turned to look in that direction and saw an intense vertical flame shooting straight up over the shop. Yep, he pierced the tank. If he had pierced it before he removed the cap, I doubt he'd have lived past that day.
                    Dynasty 300DX
                    Millermatic 210
                    Spectrum 375
                    Smith O/A
                    Metal working tools out the ears, Yada Yada Yada....
                    I can still walk in my shop......That means I need more tools, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Cornerstone View Post
                      Cornerstone , I use heat tape that have the magnets on it and leave it plugged in to the welder. hope this help's

Comment

Thanks Stephen, I wasn't aware my LWS would have them and Wicked, Heat tape with magnets,,where would I find that?

Comment

Wicked, is that the same stuff they use to keep pipes from freezing up?

Bob, sorry I don't remember who makes it, but I can call my LWS and look into it if you would like a name brand.
                          hre

Comment

I used to work as a machinist and a very common problem was flinging a part out of the vise due to lack of attention to the force applied to it. If the guy would just pay a little attention. Now I'm a field service tech for a crane company and fall protection is a big issue. People your harness is there to save your life. Treating it like its a piece of junk is a sure way to have it fail when you need it most. Or how about the guys that feel they don't need fall protection. Get real dude I'll be the one to call the medics after you die. and just in case you don't die you'll probably wish you did.
                            Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                            Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                            Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                            South bend lathe 10LX40
                            K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                            Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                            A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                            Auto shades are for rookies
                            www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

I am not as bad as I used to be but have a lot of fingerprints still hanging around on steel somewhere. Ladders are the worst, I have worked off many of them and in man buckets, hanging from cranes, one time put a 20 ft extension ladder in the bucket,,, ha. Been a while though.

Comment

Working...
                              X