6011 pic, and question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6011 pic, and question.

Ok go easy on me, but criticize my welds. This is my third night in almost a year since picking up a stinger. I have been reading quite a bit about 6011 for the past few days and from what i understand pretty welds can not really be achieved with this rod (Probably prettier than what you are about to look at). So I did this weld using 1/4 plate, 1/8" rod(have also been using 3/32) and 90 amps A/C. I am practicing with 6011 thinking I should use this welding my Jeep. That's were the question comes in. I will be welding Roll cage frame tie in's, the roll cage itself, engine mounts(not motor mounts), spring mounts and a stretched section of the rear frame/bumper. So should I be putting the time in practicing with 6011 or maybe a different choice? I can't use any that need an oven. Thanks for reading that. it looks long.
    Attached Files

If it's ever going to see a severe impact, use 7018. Research the Charpy V-Notch test, 7018 does well, 6011 does not. You can get around needing an oven by buying your rods in a hermetically sealed metal can, Lincoln Code-Arc comes in 10# cans. If you have an old school furnace at your home (i.e. not one of those high efficiency ones that just hang on the wall), just set the metal can on top of the furnace. It will keep the rods warm enough.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Comment

Looks to me like you could hold your own
      The only thing I would do different is go get a small quantity of the 7018 AC rod and play with it a bit.... try it on some scrap etc. It takes a good bit more amps to run it tho.
      When you get good then you can use it instead. Just buy the little packs (5#) and you can toss the leftovers after a job. It is better on the higher carbon steels btw...HTH

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Unless you store them in a swamp, 7018 is going to make a better weld than 6011, regardless of oven.

You can bake 7018 in a self cleaning electric oven. Do not attempt to bake them in a gas oven. You'll just make them worse.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
        Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
        "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
        "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
        "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

What they said
          www.facebook.com/browndogwelding

Blog at TheFabricator.com

www.browndogwelding.com

Comment

Well i'm glad to hear that 7018 is a better choice(I was better with that back in school anyhow). I was thinking 6011 because of the depth of penetration, i like it deep. But was having a hard time with the rough weld appearance for what i need it on. thanks for the input guys, I will pick me up some 7018 ac.

Comment

7018 3/32 85-90 amps. and don't worry about penetration you can still blow right throw. I've never had a weld break and i never use a oven. no point of a oven when your welding moment connection's when it's snowing.
              TB 325
              TB 302
              dynasty 200sd
              spoolmatic 30a/wc24
              suitcase x-treme 12vs
              miller 211
              evolution rage 2

Comment

ok i have been practicing with 7018 for a little bit now. Here is what i have.
                3/8 plate, first pass 6011 3/32" 60 amps, second third pass 7018 1/8" 120 amps. need alot of practice with my tie ins, not melting away the end of the weld, Consistency and all sorts of other crap, and the root pass.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep80CJ7 View Post
                  ok i have been practicing with 7018 for a little bit now. Here is what i have.
                  3/8 plate, first pass 6011 3/32" 60 amps, second third pass 7018 1/8" 120 amps. need alot of practice with my tie ins, not melting away the end of the weld, Consistency and all sorts of other crap, and the root pass.
                  Just a quick note, that root gap is way smaller than I'd run it. Try opening it up a bit and increasing the land too.
                  www.facebook.com/browndogwelding

Blog at TheFabricator.com

www.browndogwelding.com

Comment

On that 3/8" plate, it looks like you are trying to weld it in one pass. You should do it in 3 to 4 passes. Set up with 1/8" land and gap and use 6011 for the root. Next 7018 for the hot pass/fill pass then 7018 for the cap.
                    If you are practicing to do the work on your vehicle, you should be doing lap joints. They approximate the fillet weld better than the butt weld.

Jason
                    "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Comment

Originally posted by jasonspoon View Post
                      On that 3/8" plate, it looks like you are trying to weld it in one pass. You should do it in 3 to 4 passes. Set up with 1/8" land and gap and use 6011 for the root. Next 7018 for the hot pass/fill pass then 7018 for the cap.
                      If you are practicing to do the work on your vehicle, you should be doing lap joints. They approximate the fillet weld better than the butt weld.

Jason
                      Jason
                      I did the root pass with 6011 and so on like you described. This was not done in one pass. I'm practicing This cause from what I remember in school this is the setup they did when practicing pipe welding. Next time around I will open my root more, and from what it sounds like make the bevels wider for the landing by using maybe a 60 deg bevel rather than a 45 deg.(do i have that right?not sure what's meant by landing.)

Anyway, i am very interested in pipe welding. My grandfather was a pipe welder that worked in saudi arabia on the pipeline and I have always looked up to him for that. So I would love to follow in his foot steps someday. If anyone has any input on what i should be actually practicing for a beginner and maybe names of some well informed books on welding pipe that would be great.

Sorry I write too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep80CJ7 View Post
                        not sure what's meant by landing

Land or root face is the same thing.
                        Attached Files
                        Caution!
                        These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Jeep,

60 degree included angle for the bevel is what you want. I use a 1/8" welding rod (flux chipped off) to check my root face (land) and to fit my gap.

Jason
                          "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Comment

Jeep80CJ7: here are some pictures of a 3" 3/16 wall pipe i did. all three passes came out bad, but it was my first time welding pipe in five years. practice practice. just hang in there.
                            Attached Files
                            TB 325
                            TB 302
                            dynasty 200sd
                            spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                            suitcase x-treme 12vs
                            miller 211
                            evolution rage 2

Comment

Working...
                            X