can someone critique these 2 welds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone critique these 2 welds

first is a suspension part by a very reputable company and many say the weld is not good due to the stopping/starting.

second and third are from a not so reputable company and I was curious if yall have any thoughts on why the tubing cracked. Is it a material problem or welding issue.

I figure if anyone can help, its the pros here.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    mm 210
    dynasty 200dx

The starting and stopping doesn't mean it's a bad weld but the WAY they started/stopped looks sloppy to me. There doesn't appear to be good fusion in those places. Does that mean it's a structurally unsound weld or that it will fail? I have no idea.

From the limited info, the weld doesn't appear to be the issue with the cracked tube but without first hand inspection and knowing the history of the part it is impossible to tell with any certainty.
    Last edited by KB Fabrications; 03-05-2009, 01:57 PM.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

how or what is the part froms function what caused the break but it alost looks like a seem crack on the tubeing side although there is some cracking in the weld hard to say with out knowing the cause
      your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
      2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
      PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
      here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

I'll take a shot at this one. Is it possible that crack started as a result of an arc strike? I mean if the start of his weld is sloppy, maybe there's some other issues with his welding technique.

Comment

the first picture I'll go with KB Fabrications answer,The starting and stopping doesn't mean it's a bad weld but the WAY they started/stopped looks sloppy to me. There doesn't appear to be good fusion in those places and I'll ad a double in the bad fusion. as for the other pics I'm going to go with a bad tub. as to say the twisting caused the tub seam to split.
          the parts look like quad a arms. and I've broke my share of quad parts.(big jumper) and I'd brake that weld easy.
          TB 325
          TB 302
          dynasty 200sd
          spoolmatic 30a/wc24
          suitcase x-treme 12vs
          miller 211
          evolution rage 2

Comment

to me it just looks like they welded it cold in the first picture, and the second and third pictures look like it could be a factory discontinuity such as a lamination in the steel or something. just my thoughts on it.
            sigpic
            Miller Trailblazer 302
            Smith Torch Outfit
            Lots of Grinders
            Miller Elite Autodark Hood
            O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

These are mustang a arms.

The one with the crack is brand new never installed and thats the way the company shipped it to the guy.

The bad start stop one was just one someone posted and people were saying its horrible but it has not failed and the company is known to be top notch.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
              mm 210
              dynasty 200dx

Comment

Originally posted by superdave99gt View Post
                first is a suspension part by a very reputable company and many say the weld is not good due to the stopping/starting.

second and third are from a not so reputable company and I was curious if yall have any thoughts on why the tubing cracked. Is it a material problem or welding issue.

I figure if anyone can help, its the pros here.

Thanks in advance
                There is no significant stress in an a-arm that would cause a crack to run that direction . . . the failure is a material failure. If you cut the tube across the crack, I'm confident you'll find the crack is running right down the weld seam of the tubing.

Jim
                Dynasty 300DX
                MM350P
                Hobart Handler 120
                Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
                Smith AR/He Mixer

Comment

First pic, I will agree with others, needs some weld time.
                  Pic 2 and 3, I am gona call it as I see it.
                  Cheap tube.
                  Be safe
                  Jeff

Give more than you get and
                  you will get more than ya need.
                  This is true for the good and bad
                  that life puts out.

Comment

I'll put a big " no way would i take those sh!t arms. down the road " like I'd want to see my tire flop over at 100+ mph after hitting a little tiny bump.
                    what company is putting products like that out?
                    I'm sure that the people welding those a arms don't come to this site.
                    TB 325
                    TB 302
                    dynasty 200sd
                    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                    suitcase x-treme 12vs
                    miller 211
                    evolution rage 2

Comment

The first one is a griggs a arm and they are very well known in the road racing world.

The second 2 are upr and some love them and some hate them.
                      mm 210
                      dynasty 200dx

Comment

All three pics are testimony that if you want something made right - make it yourself.
                        2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                        2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

The cracked tube part I would send back and I would assume if they are reputable they would replace it? It wouldn't be the first "big name" with low quality weld/fab work. I have seen many companies that started out good, got to big to fast and "greed" took over the company. They tend to outsource the work they used to do "themselves" to meet demand for orders and neglect the quality control that got them there?? Just the other day I was looking at $60k "mobility van" that was purchased by my friend that unfortunately is now a quadraplegic due to a trajic Motocross accident, the power ramp welding was horrible!!! (I pointed out one joint that was not fused at all and others that were marginal)

Moral, don't asssume just cause you paid big bucks that you got high quality!

Tim
                          sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
                          AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
                          Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                          Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
                          MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
                          Hypertherm PM-45
                          Miller 140 mig 110v
                          Vtwin builder

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrachop View Post
                            It wouldn't be the first "big name" with low quality weld/fab work. I have seen many companies that started out good, got to big to fast and "greed" took over the company. They tend to outsource the work they used to do "themselves" to meet demand for orders and neglect the quality control that got them there??
                            A disappointing fact of life.
                            Just the other day I was looking at $60k "mobility van" that was purchased by my friend that unfortunately is now a quadraplegic due to a trajic Motocross accident,
                            I was no hero when I raced; but I knew that when I reached 50, I'd want to be healthy enough to walk without a limp.
                            the power ramp welding was horrible!!! (I pointed out one joint that was not fused at all and others that were marginal). Moral, don't asssume just cause you paid big bucks that you got high quality!
                            Tim
                            Don't assume it unless it came from my garage. I don't hurry for anyone in a hurry. If someone says "hurry up, we need more", I QUIT.
                            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                            sigpic

Comment

"If you don't take the time to do it right, you will surely take the time to do it over" (and if you work for me), and we have to do it over your will be working somewhere else!

Tim
                              sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
                              AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
                              Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                              Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
                              MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
                              Hypertherm PM-45
                              Miller 140 mig 110v
                              Vtwin builder

Comment

Working...
                              X