Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie To The Forums

Hello All,

I figured I would introduce myself before I start firing questions. I am in my last semester of a two year welding program in Iowa. So far I have done just about everything that the school offers so I am getting down to the kinda obsure stuff.
    My instructor at school referred me to this site to ask about Stainless Steel SMAW. There isn't much information in our text books so any would be greatly appreciated. My instructor wants me to research the different electrodes there are and also any advise on technique would be greatly appreciated!
    Second question would be about finding jobs. My city was devastiated by a flood last summer and so any construction jobs that are left are usually given to illegal immigrants. I am looking to move to Dallas but any suggestions on other cities would be great!

Thanks All!

Can't help you with stainless, but thought I'd say Hi and welcome to the forum. I've seen first hand the flood damage you talked about. It was quite a mess, and still is. Had to deal with a lot of that myself (not at home, at work). As far as welding jobs, seems like ADM always has something going on there. Got a buddy that is a foreman of a construction crew working there (Iron workers local #89) and he always talks about the "cheap labor" (trying to be politically correct here) and that all they know how to run is a fork and their mouths. Might be worth looking into for the time being, heck might end up being a good gig for someone that wants to actually work and try to make a difference. Just a thought......Take care

Comment

Hello and welcome. I just saw a thread on this on another site. I'll look for it and pm a link for you.

Comment

On 304 stainless, if I am using SMAW, I use Lincoln Electric Blue Max 308/308L rods. They burn just like 7018. If you can weld a similar setup in mild steel using a 7018, you can weld SS with Blue Max. And when you knock the slag off, it leaves a very pretty weld.

The big difference between SS and mild steel is that SS does not conduct heat as good as mild steel. This plays a little bit with your penetration and in preventing warpage. But it's something that you can get the hang of pretty quickly.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
        Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
        "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
        "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
        "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Also I dont have any info to offer on the SS, but I can offer a Welcome to the site.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
          Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
          Clarke 180 EN Just in case
          Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
          O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
          Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
          4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
          Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
          Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
          I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
          http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Thank you all for the warm welcome and thanks willy for the tip on ADM. As far as SS stick welding, I have been usually 308L electrodes. The problem that I have been having is how the arc jumps around like crazy but I am not sure if it the electrode or the crappy donated metal we use at school. What do you all think??
            Last edited by SultanaMidnight; 03-05-2009, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Stainless Rods

Originally posted by SultanaMidnight View Post
              Thank you all for the warm welcome and thanks willy for the tip on ADM. As far as SS stick welding, I have been usually 308L electrodes. The problem that I have been having is how the arc jumps around like crazy but I am not sure if it the electrode or the crappy donated metal we use at school. What do you all think??
              Hi, Nothing should be jumping around, my best guess would be the electrodes that you are using are no good !

................. Norm
              www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by SultanaMidnight View Post
                I am looking to move to Dallas but any suggestions on other cities would be great!........
                i wouldn't recommend coming down here man . ive looked all over dallas and the surrounding areas and unless you like low pay ,tacos , and coronas
                no to mention having MANY doors slammed in your face,even though you are more than qualified for the job .

i mean i live here , and know all the places to go and i get nothing ,going on four months.
                i went back to being a 24hour mobile mechanic
                the only reason i havent moved is because my fiance and i cant afford it
                ....i hate dallas
                my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
                feel free to P/M me

Comment

Working...
                X