Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying my First TiG

Ok,

so I am about to pull the trigger on a new TiG.. I have never owned or used one, although my experience in welding has been custom exhaust work, and most on old rusty piles of crap... (Minnesota)...

my question is..

Synchrowave 200

or Dynasty 200DX

which would be a better rig to a. learn on b. fabricated mostly exhaust and small parts ie: intercooler piping, intercoolers, overflow tanks etc

appreciate any help and info..
    Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Miller Auto Arc 142

15 views and no opinions??
    Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
    Miller Auto Arc 142

Comment

Between the 2, I would grab a dynasty 200dx IF I had the money. That said when I had to decide between the 2 last spring I bought my Sync 200, I just couldn't justify twice the cost of the dynasty at the time. I'll PM you some of the links on why I bought mine.
      Last edited by DSW; 03-01-2009, 05:44 PM.

Comment

They are both good machines.

The Dynasty is a little more expensive and has some extra controls such as variable frequency and increase control of balance. These controls are useful for increasing the penetration on A/C welding on Aluminum. The Dynasty also is more efficient so it can be powered with less current (30 amp 230 volt). If you don't have adequate power in your garage it may actually be less expensive if it precludes a re-wiring job that the Syncrowave could entail. It has auto linking so it can be powered with 115 or 230 volt power without changing anything, assuming that you have a pigtail adapter. This can be useful for remote locations where only 115 is available. It can also be run on 3 phase power, but this requires hooking up one additional wire, which is provided in the cable, to the plug.

The Syncrowave is less expensive. I have used the syncrowave 250 extensively and it is a great machine as well.
        Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
        Miller Dynasty 200DX
        Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
        Lincoln LE 31 MP
        Lincoln 210 MP
        Clausing/Colchester 15" Lathe
        16" DoAll Saw
        15" Drill Press
        7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
        20 Ton Arbor Press
        Bridgeport

Comment

thanks for the info guys...

my workshop is a new build with the house.. My electrician friend would probably set up the outlet for power...

so the sync is 230 and the dynasty is switchable??

obviously they would both be great machines.. I just dont know what I really need... I am always of the thought.. do it one do it right.. so buying one now means buying a little more then I need so I can grow into it.. which with my experience in TiG welding means ANYTHING ha ha...

thanks DSW for the pm... tomorrow evening I will be looking at that all...

hope to pull the trigger on one this week...
          Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
          Miller Auto Arc 142

Comment

I was where you are a couple of months ago. I did a lot of research and decided (with my budget) to purchase the Dynasty200dx. I purchased the unit and the contractor kit with the Air cooled torch.

I have quite a bit of Mig, Stick and OA experience and wanted to learn to tig.
            I am not at all sorry I purchased the Dynasty. I made my decision based on it Footprint and variable voltage input. I also noted that a "whole lot" of the proffesionals on this site had one (at work or at home).

That being said you could not go wrong with a Snycrowave (250) if you can justify the large power draw to run it. You can buy one used for nearly half the price of the Dynasty! and it is the workhorse of the industry at that output.

That being said I would purchase a cooler and a water cooled torch if you intend to run Aluminum (and you will) as the 150amp aircooled torch is inadequate for Aluminum over 1/16' (in my newbie opinion)

Keep us posted and trust me it will be a humbling experience to start tig welding aluminum!

Tim
            sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
            AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
            Chaplain CMA chapter 26
            Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
            MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
            Hypertherm PM-45
            Miller 140 mig 110v
            Vtwin builder

Comment

first tig

I bought the dynasty200 dx and after a couple weeks of welding with the amp control on the torch I bought the foot control and had a lot more control over the weld I am a novice at tig but it is definitly the way to go I am welding mostly alluminium and can see I need the water cooled torch all the control of the 200dx was the selling point for me.

Comment

It's pretty simple, there both good. the Dynasty is better. If you can afford it get it, if not the sync is cheaper and will do the job.
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Millermatic 175
                Spectrum 375
                All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky View Post
                  It's pretty simple, there both good. the Dynasty is better. If you can afford it get it, if not the sync is cheaper and will do the job.
                  I think for now the synch is what it will be... wont be doing as much aluminum as I will ss/steel tubing
                  Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                  Miller Auto Arc 142

Comment

If memory serves, you can get the sync for just under 2000 with everything but the tank and consumables.
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Millermatic 175
                    Spectrum 375
                    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by TSTRBOY2004 View Post
                      I think for now the synch is what it will be... wont be doing as much aluminum as I will ss/steel tubing
                      If you don't need to do Al at all, there's the Maxstar 200dx inverter.
                      Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                      RMLS-14 Momentary Hand Control
                      Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                      Porter Cable 14" dry metal saw
                      Hitachi 4.5" grinder
                      http://mhayesdesign.com

Comment

well hwile out and about I found one on craigslist.. fingers crossed.. apparantly approx 2yrs old, still has 3yrs warranty on it...

came with foot pedal, cooled torch/pump, dolly...

$2150

Miller Syncrowave 250DX

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8328 (Medium) (2).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	503918

Name:	IMG_8329 (Medium).JPG
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	503919

Name:	IMG_8331 (Medium).JPG
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	503920
                        Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                        Miller Auto Arc 142

Comment

That's a nice one. Make sure you do some test welds. Don't buy it if they won't let you test it.

Originally posted by TSTRBOY2004 View Post
                          well hwile out and about I found one on craigslist.. fingers crossed.. apparantly approx 2yrs old, still has 3yrs warranty on it...

came with foot pedal, cooled torch/pump, dolly...

$2150

Miller Syncrowave 250DX

[ATTACH]17285[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17286[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]17287[/ATTACH]
                          Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                          Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                          Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

too late.. its sitting in my garage...

I figure even at teh price I got it I would be ahead it still has almost 3yrs warranty on it... (apparently)
                            Miller Syncrowave 250 DX
                            Miller Auto Arc 142

Comment

I got lucky too. I bought my Maxstar without seeing it power on and it welds like a jewel.
                              Miller Maxstar 200 DX
                              Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                              Hitachi 4.5" grinder

Comment

Working...
                              X